“Starting to show some wear and tear.....”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Onalaska, WI
“Starting to show some wear and tear.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Upon staying here this past weekend, I have noticed a change. It appears that this hotel is starting to show signs of going downhill.... This is a shame, as it is a fairly new facility!! As ISU parents, we have stayed here a handful of times over the past 3 years. However this was the first time where the carpets are looking tired and dirty, and the entire facility had an overall cigarette aroma lingering. The continental breakfast is OK, the location and price are good.

Room Tip: The Suite rooms are nice, especially if son/daughter and college friends want to stop out for a visi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2012 during our campus visit to ISU. Overall we had a great time. The rooms looked very new and updated. Large flat panel TV in the room. Beds were VERY comfortable. Complementary breakfast was OK. 3 diferent cereals, bread, english muffins, etc. Coffee and Orange juice. Not bad overall. We stayed at some hotels in the past with more offerings (hot waffles, etc) but for the price of the room, not bad. We got a special and the room was around $60 per night. We had to use the business center to print some info for our campus visit and the prints were free. Nice computers and good internet connections. Fitness Center was nice. Had bike, treadmill and stairmaster along with 3 flat panel TV's, towels, etc. I always like stairwells also which are nicely updated with carpet, etc. Since we like walking up the stairs to our room instead of taking elevators, it is a plus to have a hotel with stairs which are not just cement floors. Front desk staff was very nice and gave us great advice on ISU. Hotel was only about 5 miles from campus. We would definately stay here again in the future. No pool though, so if that is important to you, you may want to look elsewhere. Since we were there In Feb, taking a swim was not important to us. They even let us use the conference room at night to allow my daughter to practice/tune up with her French Horn before her audition on the last day we were there. Very nice for them to do so because it was a nice area for her to warm up with her horn.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed here recently on a business trip. I needed someplace inexpensive and near the University's campus. I was very pleasantly surprised! The lobby was cozy with a Christmas tree and a fire going in the fire place when we walked in on a cold evening. There was free wireless. My room was newly updated, clean, fresh and cozy. For what I paid and this class of hotel, this place was the best I've stayed in and I'm a frequent traveler who stays in a wide variety of hotels. I had colleagues who stayed in another room who were also in love with it. Great job Microtel! We'll be back :o)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kristinnicole7
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Woke up in the morning with bite marks covering both legs. Upon closer inspection of the bed linens I noticed fleas were in the bed. Also discovered fleas in other areas of the room and bathroom. I assume that it came from somebody who brought their dog into the room and it wasn't cleaned properly after they left. I notified the front desk upon leaving so they hopefully did something about it. After returning home, I left my luggage in my garage for two days until I could fully inspect everything to make sure I didn't bring any fleas into my house that might have gone into my luggage. I've also spent the last three days having to apply medicine constantly to all the bites to include waking up in the middle of the night to apply ointment because of the severity of the bites, its been like having chicken poxs all over again. Probably the worst hotel experience of my life.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bill S
Sheena R, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
It concerns me to hear about the recent discomfort that you experienced. We strive to make all of our guests happy, but sometimes in doing so we are able to accommodate one and not another. The Microtel Inn & Suites in Ames is a pet friendly facility. In the past we haven't had any problems with allowing pets in our property but as always sometimes unexpected things happen. The rooms was inspected and treated by our pest management company the day after you departed. Again I apologize for this situation and we hope to see you again in the future.
Best Regards
GM
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stopped here for a night on the road. Strangely, there was a wedding reception going on that night... Had no idea the Microtels even hosted events. We were a little concerned about the noise from the young partiers, but one we shut our room door, we couldn't hear a peep and slept soundly all night. Rooms were small (of course) but clean, bright and recently updated. Breakfast was pretty good too, fresh biscuits were delicious!

• Stayed August 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We booked online, got a good price for a queen suite. We arrived to check in but they wern't ready for us, apparently they have just had a bunch of international students say there for a week and they checked out late, so they were way behind on cleaning. When we did get our room it was clean and nice. The staff was nice enough and the breakfast was ok.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

This Microtel is very nice. The lobby area is spacious and looks quite new. I didn't have my laptop with me, but the public computers worked fine, and I never had trouble having access to them. The single room was tiny, but very clean. I caught a glimpse of the suite across the hall which seemed surprisingly spacious for this type of hotel. There is a lot of open space behind the hotel where children can run, play, throw a ball around, etc. There's easy access to the highway and plenty of parking. The pillows are pretty flat, the continental breakfast is limited, and the smell of artificial floral freshener is quite strong, but for the price I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family