“Right off the highway, quick to get to.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Madison, Wisconsin
“Right off the highway, quick to get to.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We booked online, got a good price for a queen suite. We arrived to check in but they wern't ready for us, apparently they have just had a bunch of international students say there for a week and they checked out late, so they were way behind on cleaning. When we did get our room it was clean and nice. The staff was nice enough and the breakfast was ok.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

This Microtel is very nice. The lobby area is spacious and looks quite new. I didn't have my laptop with me, but the public computers worked fine, and I never had trouble having access to them. The single room was tiny, but very clean. I caught a glimpse of the suite across the hall which seemed surprisingly spacious for this type of hotel. There is a lot of open space behind the hotel where children can run, play, throw a ball around, etc. There's easy access to the highway and plenty of parking. The pillows are pretty flat, the continental breakfast is limited, and the smell of artificial floral freshener is quite strong, but for the price I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Missouri City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Not bad but I still wont be back. Bed was not comfortable. Not worth 65 bucks to sleep on an old bed. Shower head didnt work that great either.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

We needed a place during our drive. This was $50 plus tax. The room was small for the US but normal for Europe and clean. But for $50 what do you want? This was clean, safe, cheap, and even camel with breakfast. And the bed was just as good as the $100 a night places I stay at when I travel on the company card. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

The hallway and entrance to the room reeked of smoke combined with artificial floral freshener. (I had a nonsmoking room.) The room was tiny, barely room on both sides of one queen size bed. Out my window was an a-line roof blocking any view. I asked if the hotel was full and if I could change rooms and the woman at the desk in the evening said they were quite full and I couldn't switch. I double checked in the morning and the desk clerk told me they had only been about half full. I did get the room on Priceline and I know that you take what you get with that, but I have usually had much better service than this.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

I got here late (I called and was told that was okay) and checked into my room. The only remaining nonsmoking room was a 1st floor handicap accessible room. 1st floor meant I had to keep the window coverings closed (very dark this a.m.) and handicap accessible meant funky shower that turned out to be downright dangerous for a person on two feet (the shower floor was slick and sloped dramatically down to the drain requiring me to hang on to the handy-dandy shower bar most of the time. Oh, and both the desk chair and the side chair in the room had nasty-looking staining that I don't want to think too hard about.

But the biggest issue was lack of internet access. I am here for a conference but still have a lot of hot projects going on and being able to access email and web-based products is imperative. So sad for me, the wifi worked right the door to my room (the overnight clerk and I tested) and then stopped. I could either sit in the hallway and work, or come to the front lobby with loud tv and work - and as I'm learning now, connectivity is relative; I think my old dial up was faster. Bottom line: I'm sure this place is fine (although not particularly inexpensive) for a quick hop off the interstate to sleep, but for business travelers, try one of the many other options. This is no bargain and will leave you cranky and behind.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SOSIowa
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed here for two nights. The location was great, the room was clean and quiet. Upon arrival, I was told there was wireless internet available. After attempting to log on several times, I called the front desk. I was told they have a new system and no one else had complained about no internet. I waited a hour later and tried again. Still no internet. So, I went to the front desk to get a cable for wired internet. I was told the entire hotel only had one cable available and someone else already had it. grrr. Ok, the next night, still no internet. A couple of more calls to the front desk to ask about it and no response other than "it's not working." Duh, I figured that out. So much for getting online during my stay. Other than that, I would stay again, but not if I had some online work I needed to get accomplished.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo