“HOTEL STAY”
Review of Super 8 Ames

Super 8 Ames
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed October 20, 2012

ENJOYED MY STAY. 1ST TIme at a Super 8. I don't have anything else to add. Would probably stay at this hotel again. Did not get a chance to sample the breakfast due to my other commitments.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

It's not the cleanest definitely not the most luxurious but the staff at least try to be bilingual. As the breakfast attendant pointed and said leche bueno apparently thinking we speak spanish. The room smelt faintly of dog and cigarette smoke smell was kind of strong.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I now know I shouldn't be so cheap when booking a hotel for 3 nights. The front desk gal was cool, that's the only plus I can give it. The first room they sent us to was the WORST room I've ever walked into & I've stayed in tons of places all over the country. Looked like someone had done something unmentionable on the chair & bed. Wall had mold all over top near ceiling. Walked in & right back out. Next room was bearable. Wife & kids didn't feel 100% comfortable by the amount of men hanging around outside each evening. Even with security lighting, having mulitple men just standing & sitting around a hotel back door does not make people feel very welcome. We'll pass on this one if we're that way again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2012

If you're looking for a cheap place to spend a night, this hotel would meet your needs. If you're planning on staying for a few days, I would look elsewhere. The room was clean enough and didn't appear to be in bad shape, but my non-smoking room always seemed to smell like cigarette smoke when my neighbor lit up. There's a Mexican restaurant, a Subway and a gas station within walking distance, but that's it. Not a lot for food options. My biggest source of dissatisfaction was the rudeness of the desk clerks, and it wasn't just one having a bad day. It was all of them. When I arrived, the individual working almost wouldn't give me my room. It was a work trip and someone else had made the reservation in my name but with a different name on the credit card. Even though we had called the hotel ahead of time to notify them of the name changes, the message had gotten lost. Maybe the clerk was put out because she made it pretty clear that I interrupted her smoke break. Every evening when I got back to the hotel, there was never anyone at the desk because they were outside smoking. I also observed the desk clerks repeatedly talking down to the housekeeping staff (who did a good job of keeping up the rooms). I don't expect the Hilton for $50 a night, but there's no excuse for rudeness. If I'm ever in the area again, I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business