“Better option is to sleep in your car.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Econo Lodge Ames

Econo Lodge Ames
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Fairfax, Virginia
“Better option is to sleep in your car.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Front desk person had one screaming baby in the office and another child playing in lobby. Room had not been swept,had 2 queen beds,peanuts in the sheets of one, not sure if they fell out of the maid's mouth when she was cleaning or if they were from previous visitor, either way, slept in other bed that had no food remnants. Bathroom sink stopped up when I brushed my teeth. Dirty ice bucket,lights and TV remote.
Wakeup call came 50 minutes late, of course, wasn't expecting much so had set alarm on my phone.
Will say the snack and drink machines have good options.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Des Moines, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

Let me just say that I didn't expect to get a free breakfast from an Econo Lodge when I only paid about $50 per night. It was mostly continental stuff (cereal, bagels, toast) but did have a waffle maker with pre-made batter, which looked great, but I didn't try. Another pleasant surprise was that it had free wi-fi, which worked great!

The room was clean, and seemed to have been recently updated. The only slightly negative thing was that the bathroom door seemed kind of worn, and the outside hallway was a little dark...far from a problem for me since I just wanted a decent place to sleep. The TV was great...better than the one I have at home, I think. Probably 32" flat screen, maybe a bit smaller. I did hear soft footsteps occasionally from the room above me, but it wasn't loud enough that it would wake me if I had been asleep. I never heard any other noises from other rooms like TVs or conversation and I think the hotel was pretty full. The front staff was very nice and helpful. The pool was pretty basic. I didn't use it but it looked clean.

It's located right off of Hwy 30, just west of I-35. Iowa State is a 5-10 minute drive, and downtown Ames is only about 5 minutes away. It's kind of far off the the beaten path, but there are lots of other hotels springing up in the area, and there was at least 1 restaurant and a convenience store down the street.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank amastel
Calmar, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at the Econolodge for our daughter's graduation from ISU. Our family is large and we have several small children in the group. They offered us their hospitality room for a mere $40. It was a good sized room with comfortable furniture and all the kitchen utilities that we needed. The whole place was clean and friendly. They were exceptionally nice and helpful. We were up late visiting, playing games and laughing. There was not one request from staff to keep it down. Breakfast the next morning was great and again the staff was very pleasant and helpful. I'm not sure I would stay anywhere else in Ames.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Heartgirl97
iowa usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

i put my parents up at the heartland inn last week. ( well who wants your parents staying in your home when you are recently married??? ) anyway, the front desk was super nice and helped me figure out the best spot for mom and dad. i talked to them a few times, and when the folks got there, it kind of felt like home. we hung out at the pool one night, which was cool because it wasnt over crowded with kids and was open late. till 11. they were there 4 days and we picked them up every morning but had to wait until dad got his fill of the free breakfast, which always put him in a good mood. so i thank them for their smiles and making us feel at home, it REALLY helped my new husband enjoy my parents and vice versa!!! next time they could stay with us, but they may prefer heartlands food to mine!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

The worst stay of my life! The room smelled like old laundry,found roaches/bugs in my bed and in the bathroom.
If that was not enough the milk the next morning was sour that I used in may breakfast cereal....Stay clear of this dump!!!!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

Honestly, this place is a dive. And that's all there really is to say. Yes, it's cheap, but there are reasons why.

• Stayed August 2004, traveled solo
Irving, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

What drew me to this hotel was location, price and a review I read about the excellent shower pressure. Let me tell you what I found. I arrived an hour before check in, was greet what a sincere welcome & a of course we can get you in a room early. They went so far as to print me directions from MapQuest when asked how to get to a certain location. I entered the hotel by the pool & was greeted with a fresh smell-not clorine. Open the door to my room & it smelled wonderful. The shower pressure was indeed so strong you almost had to hang onto the rail to stay up right & hot was hot. The staff was so helpful, friendly & pleasant day or night. The breakfast was nice-pretty typical. The Serta mattresses were the most comfortable & best I've ever had. Very impressive for a moderately priced hotel. Not to mention the free computer/internet in the lobby & hot cookies & popcorn every night. I could go on and on, but think you get the picture. Thank you Heartland for being a leader (especially in the mid west) in providing us with a smoke free hotel at a reasonable price. I look forward to staying with you again.

Dallas, TX

• Liked — water pressure
  • Disliked — no suit case rack
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family