“Nice place to stay”

Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice the room was. The room was very clean. Clean bathroom with plenty of towels. The only noise I heard was from the gas station outside our window. Overall it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul P
BWUniversityPark, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay. Congratulations to you and your husband on your anniversary! Please give us a call if you ever need another getaway and ask about our Romance Package that includes a night in a presidential suite, a bottle of wine, and chocolates.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Best Western Ames has a great full breakfast every morning. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. For a small town in low season I was surprised at their 150.00 a night charge for the room. That would be my only complaint!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kendra S
BWUniversityPark, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed our expanded complimentary hot breakfast and that you noticed how clean our hotel is. Thank you for staying with us and please visit us again next time you are in Ames.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here while we were moving this year since August 1st was on a Wednesday and we didn't want to miss work to move. This place was excellent we had planned to check in on Sunday and check out on Wednesday but it rained Saturday and after a day of moving in the rain we decided that it would be nice to check in on Saturday instead so we could take advantage of the hot tub after a long wet day of moving. I called about an hour before check in on Saturday and they even had the room that I had reserved for Sunday available which was a plus. We were there for a few days but it was nice to be able to come back to the room after work and relax. Since, we are both smokers it was nice that they still offer smoking rooms as most hotels in Ames have gotten rid of their smoking rooms. We stayed in a simple King room which was very comfortable. The beds in this place are probably the best in Ames too.Another great thing about this place is that because I booked in advanced for a 3 day stay we got a discounted rate on our room. The only downside to our whole stay was the fact that my boyfriends truck was parked in the parking lot on the last night of our stay and it looked like one of the other guests who was parked next to him had backed out and there was a huge scratch down the back of his truck and with no cameras in the parking lot there was no way of telling who had done it. Because his truck was rather old we only had minimum insurance on it so we have still not been able to afford to have it fixed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kasi4307
BWUniversityPark, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that we were able to provide you with a comfortable place to stay during your move and I hope that your comfortable stay helped ease your transition. Please give us a call if you ever have lodging needs in the future and I hope you are enjoying your new home. THANK YOU for staying with us!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked the Best Western based on its top rating on trip advisor, and because the choices in Des Moines were limited and expensive because of the final weekend of the state fair.

I had a series of unfortunate events, and arrived late at night grateful for a chance to unwind and clear my head. Did some reading, had a great night's sleep, took a hot shower. Perfect!

No TV, no hassles...only to then walk into the breakfast area downstairs blasting both televisions -- on Fox News, no less -- at 7 o'clock Sunday morning.

An argumentative program was on with a high volume, making it hard to think. No conversations were going on over the din, as guests just watched the Fox & Friends crew and chewed. I asked the (very nice) breakfast lady if they couldn't change the channel, or at least lower the volume, but she just smiled (I don't know if she even heard me over the racket). It would have been too much of a hassle to lug all the breakfast items up the stairs and back to the room, so I tried sitting as far away from the TV, with my back to it.

So much care has been put into this facility that it is a shame I ended up leaving with my restful state marred. I would recommend having soft music playing in the background at an early hour, and that guests not be subjected to so much noise early in the day.

On the plus side: the hotel offers easy access off the highway, super-friendly night crew guys, clean (though not new) room with plenty of space, indoor pool and spa, and fresh blueberries at breakfast -- with plain yogurt, granola and Granny Smith apples in addition to the bacon, eggs and bagels. Healthy choices, which were much appreciated.

Please take the final step to create a restful area to eat the good food you're providing, and help us start off our day on the right foot.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dudeinthedunes
BWUniversityPark, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Ames and for taking the time to leave us feedback on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that so many things went well for you but am sorry to hear that it was spoiled by a loud television in our public area. We will take this into consideration and be sure to monitor how loud other guests are turning up the public televisions in the future. Thank you again for staying with us and for the feedback and we hope that you will give us a call next time you are in Ames.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Clean, great service, quiet air conditioner, and wonderful breakfast. What a deal and a nice place to stay. We had a suite, and it was very spacious. Glad we pkcked the Best Western Plus. Wow...nice place to stay, and pet friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank care54
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave a review about your stay. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back in the future!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have stayed here several times with my large dog while we visited the Vet Hospital in Ames. The staff is unfailingly friendly, the rooms large with nice views, comfortable beds (one for me, one for the dog), nice large grassy fields in which to walk a dog right around the hotel, convenience store and gas station adjacent. I would not go anywhere else. The manager came immediately after hours to fix a slight problem with the toilet - he was very courteous and helpful! Even took away the wet towels I used after giving my dog a bath and did not complain that I had done so!

Room Tip: A north room facing East would be best for me with view of grass and forest
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Suzanne B
BWUniversityPark, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Thank you for staying with us when bringing your dog to the Iowa State University Veterinary Hospital. We hope you enjoyed the proximity to the hospital and our pet friendly room. I'm glad to hear that the issue with your door was fixed to your satisfaction before it became a problem. Thank you for staying with us and please come back next time you are in town!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We recently stayed at the Best Western University Park Inn with two adults and five children. We all enjoyed our stay. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well-maintained, and the staff were friendly and courteous. The kids loved the pool and hot tub, and everyone enjoyed the continental breakfast (they even had yogurt, granola, and fresh blueberries -- yummy and so much better than many hotel breakfasts). We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sraesc
BWUniversityPark, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving feedback on your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast and also using the pool. We hope to see you again next time you are in Ames. Thank you!