“Enjoyed My Stay!”

Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed March 29, 2013

All of the employees there were great! (Joanna, the bartender-especially AWESOME!) I was able to get into my room a couple of hours early, which was a decent size and almost clean. There were a couple of crumbs on the floor in one corner and the shower curtain needed to be bleached. The air conditioning wasn't working but they had a maintenance person come fix it the next day. There is a nice running trail in front of the hotel that goes right to the University, which is only about a mile away. The fitness center was okay-2 treadmills, a bike and something else (which I never use anywhere cause they look scary) and some free weights. Kind of a small room packed with this equipment so it's hard to do anything else in there. The pool was beyond freezing cold and so was the kids area. The hot tub was great but it would be nice to have the pool area open later than 10pm. The only thing I ate here was the french fries (and they were yummy!) but the other food I saw people eating looked great!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KatherineNoel

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Room was nicer than most I've stayed in. It had an extra seating area with a couch which helped it feel more homey. Staff was very friendly and I had a great dinner in the restaurant. Only negative is there was not a continental breakfast, but they had a really good breakfast menu. I would definitely recommend people to here in the future!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CatLover712
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The hotel was fine for the little amount of time we spent there, but I wouldn't suggest it for any length of time. The bathroom set up was poor. The sink is just inside the door to the room. We had our two daughters with us and it seemed like we were bumping into each other every time we tried to get in and out of the room. The actual bathroom was very tight, the wallpaper was peeling and a bit grungy, the tub seemed to be a retro fit type, so every time you moved in it it squeaked.

The view from our second floor room was laughable. Considering we aren't in a big city and there should be plenty of opportunities for them to offer their guests a view of anything, we were surprised to find that our room looked out to a wall. There might as well had been no window at all.

The pool area was clean and there is a nice children's pool. However the hot tub was closed and appeared it has been for awhile, looks like they are doing repairs on it, so it was torn up and a bit messy looking. They are very strict about not allowing food into the pool area. We had hoped to bring our lunch in since there are nice tables around the pool, however they followed us in and stood next to us till we went and ate in the lobby. Seemed a bit odd, since we were allowed to eat in other public areas of the hotel, where there weren't tables.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LynnSunshine
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear LynnSunshine,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. It is also regrettable you were not impressed with the conditions of our bathrooms. I have taken note of your valuable comments and these will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I'm on my last day of a 2 week stay. Hotel was very clean and the staff friendly. The Cardinal Cafe, located on the first floor, offered a nice range of breakfast and dinner items. Each morning, I was greeted by each staff member encountered and wished a good day. Simple things that help set me up for a good day were not overlooked. Room was nicely appointed, as well. Hotel has a nice gym with 2 treadmills, a cross trainer and a stationary bike. Also has a pool and hot tub, although I did not use either.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Always go for the top floor. I was on 2nd floor and last 3 days of my trip, the people above me had...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank robtam90
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Check in was ok but once got to the room the smell of stale smoke was overpowering. The room was very dated ( not up to HIE standards ) Bathroom was more like staying at a super 8 than a Holiday Inn. Then with the 8:30 wake up from housekeeping that was the straw that broke the camels back. Would advise looking elsewhere until they fix the issues with this property

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gunnar O
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We needed a location close to family. This location is just right, and we found the staff and room to be most satisfactory. My wife has a high degree of allergy problems, and the room was unusually clean. There is 125 pounds difference in our weight, and the bed was most comfortable for both of us. The front dest staff was exceptional!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MAX D
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Excellent property. Staff extremely helpful. I stubbed my toe accidentally in the hotel room and caused it to bleed profusely. I called the front desk who immediately got the manager, Carol Springer on the phone. She immediatdely came to my room with a first aid kit and helped me bandage my toe and directged me to the local emergency room. When I got back to my room, all the blood had been cleaned up as if it had never happened. Also, she shipped personal effects home that I could not get in my suitcase, going above and beyond the call of duty.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business