“College town hotel thats a little beat up”

Holiday Inn Express Ames
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Lakeville, Minnesota
“College town hotel thats a little beat up”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is my second trip to this hotel this winter. The rooms are looking a little worn down. Both times I have stayed here I have discovered the desk chairs are broken and in need of replacement. The heater controls leave you freezing or in a sauna. Breakfast is good and ready on time in the morning. It could be better but it could be worse.

Room Tip: Request a room on the back side of the building away from the roadway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. The Holiday Inn Express Ames, Iowa prides itself on maintaining exceptional guest service along with a quality product. We do aplogize you found the quality of your guest room to be subpar.

I have passed your comments on to the General Manager and the Chief Engineer. They assure me, action will be taken immediately to ensure the rooms are fresh and up to date.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed March 17, 2014

It was a standard room, everything worked fairly well, was very clean. However, the breakfast was a sad, sorry excuse for food.

The scrambled eggs could best be described as reconstituted egg gravel. They weren't even warm, and so dry, the little pebbles wouldn't stay on any kind of utensil. They had salsa packages available and that is the only thing that made them edible!

The bread was very stale, and the four slice toaster only had two slots slightly working. It took a very long time for any color to appear.

I was very disappointed with the breakfast, but more disappointed at the lack of concern or care from the breakfast staff.

Room Tip: Plan on purchasing breakfast elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. The Holiday Inn Express Ames takes each comment very seriously.

I am disappointed to learn you did not enjoy the Express Start Breakfast. I have passed your comments on to the General Manager. I do know the breakfast standards are changing as to allow for a more "healthy" option.

We do hope that you will give us another try should your travels bring you back to the Ames, Iowa area.
Wytheville, Virginia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Clean, up to date hotel. Good breakfast. Noise level outside during the night woke me up a few times. Trucks from the nearby industries. Maybe add some pine trees for sound block. Also no usable outlet near bed, for cell phone charging or laptop. Overall a good hotel

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn Express Ames, Iowa. We do value your opinion and use it as a way to cotinually improve how we deliver exceptional guest service and quality!

I have passed your comments on to the Chief Engineer to see what he can do about the outlet and the trees for noise relief. He assures me, appropriate action will be taken.

We do appreciate your business and look foward to seeing you again.
Elkader, Iowa
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I travel to Ames at least once a week, many times for multiple days and my stays at the Holiday Inn Express have been great. The staff is wonderful, greets you by name and with a smile. They take the time to listen to your needs giving 100 % in making your stay comfortable. Best place to stay in Ames!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your continued loyalty! The Holiday Inn Express Ames takes pride on delivering exceptional guest service at all times. We want to stand out from all the rest and that is why, not only do we select, hire and train each associate, we emphasize exceptional service and quality each and every day.

We do look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Ames, Iowa area.
Gardner, Kansas
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I travel a lot and find my way to Ames about 2 times per month. I always stay at the Holiday Inn Express when I'm there. Great staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds, and nice breakfast to send you out to meet the world. Michelle and the staff do the small things that make you feel welcomed and appreciated in your home away from home.

Room Tip: All the rooms with king size beds have a nice desk in them.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
The Holiday Inn Express Ames, Iowa appreciates your feedback and comments on Trip Advisor. We strive to provide each guest with a positive memorable experience worth a 5 star rating!

We are pleased to have reached our goal with your stay!! I have shown this survey to the Staff as well as Michelle. The score and feedback has put a smile on their face. Thank you for making their day!
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I am have been coming to this hotel for 20 years because the staff is fiendly and have always helped if I needed something.They make animals out of towels and reminds me of being on a cruise. The rooms are quite and comfortable.
Michelle always greets you with a smile during check in.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Holiday Inn Express Ames. We do value your patronage and friendly face each time you visit!

We pride ourselves on maintaining an exceptional level of service and quality that is unbeatable. Our staff goes above and beyond to make each stay comfortable and memorable. Towel animals are one of the ways, we want to stand out from the competition.

Michelle is truly a valued asset to our hotel. I did show her this survey and it has made her day. Thank you for making her smile !
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I travel in 5 states and am in the area every two to three weeks. I choose this hotel for its good service and helpful attitude. It's conveniently located and they make sure all is well with the accommodations. I am on a first name basis with many of the staff and Michelle is there to help if I need to make changes or add other rooms for coworkers as needed.

Room Tip: Book ahead if there are any events at Iowa State
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PatriotHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for taking time out of the your day to rate the Holiday Inn Express Ames, Iowa on Trip Advisor. We do value your feedback and use the comments as a way to continually improve how we deliver exceptional service and quality.

We do selectively hire, train and develop each one of our Staff members to promote a positive guest experience each and every day. I have shown this to the Staff and I know it has put a smile on their face.