New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express Ames

Holiday Inn Express Ames
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Iowa
“Good choice in Ames, IA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed in a king suite. The room was quite large with a small kitchenette, pull out couch, and sitting area. The bathroom was spacious as well. The bed was comfortable. The manager who checked me in was very pleasant and accommodating. There was a free breakfast with the usual offerings. Also, free wi-fi with a good signal.

I have two relatively minor complaints. 1) there was a cigarette smoke smell near the elevator and in the hallway outside of our room. I called the front desk and was told there were smoking rooms near ours. 2) the coffee was not good. I am mildly annoyed when after spending nearly $200 for a room, I have to get in the car and drive to a Starbucks to get a good cup of coffee.

For a hotel in this class , I thought the price was a little high. But overall this is a very nice hotel. I would stay here again. Next time I will ask to be far away from any smoking rooms and I will bring my own coffee.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke, ask to be away from any smoking rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Check in was easy and the desk attendant was very friendly and most helpful in identifying restaurants. The hotel has easy access to the interstate. We were upgraded to a suite and we appreciated the extra space, overall the room was clean and comfortable except the continuous fan did not work on hvac and road noise could be heard. However getting off the elevator or exiting the room the smell of cigarette smoke permiated the hallway even though the rooms were non smoking. The breakfast was just ok - the sausage gravy tasted like salty paste and looked like it had already had been eaten once - eggs were flavorless - coffee was great. Fortunately there was cereal, assorted pastries, breads, and A pancake machine. This was a reward night .. Not sure if I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Kmnb2012,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry about the cigarette smoke smell in the hallway and the air conditioning. We will address these points. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was in town for a family reunion and booked into this hotel This was a very clean and comfortable property, with easy access to interstate. They offered a good selection at breakfast, although I would skip the bacon if I were you, it was like paper. Go with the cinnamon rolls, they were actually delicious! The rooms were quite comfortable with a fridge and microwave (perfect for a midnight snack) and everyone was very friendly. The gym was small, but fine for a short workout. All was offered at a competitive rate which makes this a property worth visiting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was in town for business for just one night. I arrived pretty early (i.e., 11am) and they let me check in early and were very nice about it as well. The room was clean and pretty modern - no complaints!

Breakfast was nice with many options (i.e., eggs, sausage, biscuits, cereal, etc.) and the coffee was actually very good! I would stay again as I got a low rate on priceline and the hotel was clean and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephanie S
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were in Ames for new years and we stayed at this location. It was a great spot. The staff were very friendly and the accomodations were super. I loved the breakfast options and the microwave in the room was good for late night snack :)

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Amit S, Guest Services at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for you positive feedback. Please come back to stay with us again.

Holiday Inn Express Ames, Iowa
Guest Services
Marshalltown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Due to a snowstorm in central Iowa, I spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Ames, Iowa. Reception staff was very helpful. They even had people on hand to help "dig" our cars out the next morning after the storm! Rooms were clean and comfortable. The room heater/air conditioner rattled, which was a bit annoying in the middle of the night, but overall the room met my expectations.
Breakfast on site. Would suggest to breakfast personnel to check outdates as the yogurt I chose for breakfast had outdated 3 weeks prior!
Other than the "yogurt issue", no problems with my stay and I would recommend this hotel. I will definitely book again, should another snowstorm keep me from traveling home!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pordenone, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Service is not so good, peolple at reception are not so gentle.
Room was clean and confortable. Hotel is placed in a nice position, near shopping centre.
The price is high compared to the service that they offer

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ames, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear RamonDedor,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you liked our location. I am sorry the service you received was less than satisfactory and i want to assure you that this is not our norm. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make it right.

Irish V.