“Every traveller should experience this at least once”

Iowa House Hotel - Ames
Ranked #1 of 3 Ames B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Every traveller should experience this at least once”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I have stayed a total of three times here and it is a wonderful experience, from check in to check out.
You really are made to feel like a first class guest. The breakfast experience is terrific. The atmosphere of the property is old-world charm, with modern amenities.
Any trip to the area, we will stay here.

Room Tip: Call ahead, especially during October-Parents weekend/homecoming, May and December-Graduation
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Emil H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Ames, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Terrible experience with the owner. We had rented the main floor for a weekend for wedding photos and he was extremely rude to several people. Was asked to leave the foyer for a couple minutes for private photos with the bride and groom (he was on the phone making a personal call at the time). He told the photographer, "I'm the owner. I don't need to move." After she left the room (in tears), he told the person on the phone, "Can you believe that?..."I don't know. They shouldn't even still be here anyway." Though we had rented the entire main floor for the whole weekend. All this while I, the groom, was standing 5 feet away. I then told him I thought that was a very rude way to talk to people, especially those paying to stay at your establishment. He just said, "What do you want me to do?" Right as he said that, my bride came into the room where I was seeing her for the first time. It was frustrating to share that moment with a man like that. Incredibly rude.
The Iowa House is indeed beautiful but that is absolutely no way to treat anybody, let alone coming from a small business owner to his paying customers. I don't care how nice a place is, no employee should treat a customer that way and this was from the owner himself.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Kevin L
ST PAUL MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for Parents Weekend on October 25-27 in a third floor room. It had a comfortable bed and whirlpool tub.

Breakfast came with the room. On Saturday it was eggs, bacon and pancakes and on Sunday it was Eggs Benedict. All delicious. There is a very nice living room in the renovated Frat house and it was relaxing to sit in front of the fire and read and sip on a drink. We also chatted with alot of the other guests.

It is within walking distance to campus and Campustown. It is one of the only places to stay this close to campus- we even walked to the football stadium which was nice to not have to deal with traffic.

Definitely a nice place to stay with a family or group- it is well set up to just hang out and visit with each other.

Room Tip: Room 302 was nice and had a whirlpool tub. It got a bit warm, but we just opened the window and it...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GOPHER41
CORRECTIONVILLE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Iowa House is a fun alternative to the traditional hotels in Ames. It is within walking distance to the campus and campustown businesses. Rooms are decorated with unique antiques and comfortable beds. Nice breakfast too.

Room Tip: Try to second floor, away from the dining room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Des Moines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Visited from Des Moines for a getaway. We were pleasantly surprised. Stayed on second floor but all the rooms that we saw there looked like rooms we would stay in as well. Friendly staff. Fun little snacks (mini cupcakes and m and m's) available in the main room. Breakfast was good. Comfortable bed and walking distance from campus. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed there while I had meeting on campus. When I price checked, it was the same price or cheaper than other options including larger, and further away chains. It was a very fast drive to campus and I could walk to a few places to eat for lunch or dinner. They have their own parking lot and it is free for guests.

I got into town at 9. At 8 I got a call to see if I was coming, the girl on the phone said she was leaving for the night and no staff would be there so she would give me a door code and leave my key on the table. One concern there is once you hear one door code, it seems like it would take you 10 or less tries to guess the code at any point, guest or not.

It is a cute set-up and they have treats out for you 24 hours a day. Good stuff too, I had a (ok, a few) amazing fresh baked oatmeal cookies.

I was in the basement room, it appeared to be the only guest room on the floor and not being a regular B&B guest I was a little weirded out at first, but I really liked it by the end. It had its own door to the outside so you could leave without walking through the rest of the house. It wasn't as cute of a room as some of the pictures shown on T.A, nothing to flashy but still nice. My room had, and I assume they all do, bed warmers, sleep sound machines, bath salts by the jetted tub. It was loud, with fan or air circulators running so maybe that is what the sleep machine was for.

There is a breakfast in the morning, yogurts, fruit and juice are out but a cook will make you a hot meal too. There was a sign in my room with the hours (weekdays 7-9) and it said they were not a fast food restaurant so please plan extra time for breakfast. I had to leave each day by 7:30. The first day I came up at 7:10 but there was a bunch of people in front of me. I waited 10 minutes and it became clear I couldn't wait long enough. The next day I went up at 6:55 and told the cook that I had to leave by 7:30 but was wondering if she could start me a breakfast that I could come up and get at 7:15....she ended up bringing it to my room which was nice of her.

I saw two guest rooms on the main floor - I am glad I wasn't there since booth where connected to common living areas and the kitchen and breakfast room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Even though our room was close to the kitchen the over all experience was appreciated. When one is traveling it is always nice to come across a place such as Iowa House. Common area large and nicely furnished. Breakfast was one of the best we had. Good cook and she was pleasant and easy to visit with as were the girls who checked us in. University students. Rooms large, bed good, bathroom clean. Yard outside needed some tidying as someone's beer cans where there when we checked in and remained there overnight.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends