“Cute place close to campus and well priced”

Iowa House Hotel - Ames
Ranked #1 of 3 Ames B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
MN
“Cute place close to campus and well priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed there while I had meeting on campus. When I price checked, it was the same price or cheaper than other options including larger, and further away chains. It was a very fast drive to campus and I could walk to a few places to eat for lunch or dinner. They have their own parking lot and it is free for guests.

I got into town at 9. At 8 I got a call to see if I was coming, the girl on the phone said she was leaving for the night and no staff would be there so she would give me a door code and leave my key on the table. One concern there is once you hear one door code, it seems like it would take you 10 or less tries to guess the code at any point, guest or not.

It is a cute set-up and they have treats out for you 24 hours a day. Good stuff too, I had a (ok, a few) amazing fresh baked oatmeal cookies.

I was in the basement room, it appeared to be the only guest room on the floor and not being a regular B&B guest I was a little weirded out at first, but I really liked it by the end. It had its own door to the outside so you could leave without walking through the rest of the house. It wasn't as cute of a room as some of the pictures shown on T.A, nothing to flashy but still nice. My room had, and I assume they all do, bed warmers, sleep sound machines, bath salts by the jetted tub. It was loud, with fan or air circulators running so maybe that is what the sleep machine was for.

There is a breakfast in the morning, yogurts, fruit and juice are out but a cook will make you a hot meal too. There was a sign in my room with the hours (weekdays 7-9) and it said they were not a fast food restaurant so please plan extra time for breakfast. I had to leave each day by 7:30. The first day I came up at 7:10 but there was a bunch of people in front of me. I waited 10 minutes and it became clear I couldn't wait long enough. The next day I went up at 6:55 and told the cook that I had to leave by 7:30 but was wondering if she could start me a breakfast that I could come up and get at 7:15....she ended up bringing it to my room which was nice of her.

I saw two guest rooms on the main floor - I am glad I wasn't there since booth where connected to common living areas and the kitchen and breakfast room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Even though our room was close to the kitchen the over all experience was appreciated. When one is traveling it is always nice to come across a place such as Iowa House. Common area large and nicely furnished. Breakfast was one of the best we had. Good cook and she was pleasant and easy to visit with as were the girls who checked us in. University students. Rooms large, bed good, bathroom clean. Yard outside needed some tidying as someone's beer cans where there when we checked in and remained there overnight.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Boone, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

My new bride and I chose this venue for an overnight stay post-reception and were very pleased. The bed was extremely comfortable, and provision of little amenities like a desk fan and background noise producer upped the fun factor. I am a bit of a history geek so I grooved on seeing how the inn kept various elements identifiable to 1920's era Greek house, like the large outline showing a previous opening in the dining room. It is tastefully decorated and staffed by friendly and helpful people. We wandered into the dining room in the morning a few minutes before we were told breakfast would close and were warmly welcomed and given a nice plate of eggs benedict and asparagus, with a large assortment of other options on buffet. A second floor room, which was kinda small (although it had a spacious bathroom with a whirlpool), was kinda expensive. I would rate this 'excellent' if I felt I received full value, which at $184 would have included cushy robes and nicer bath towels at a minimum.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Iowa House in Ames provides a delightful home away from home. I happened to arrive for the Sunday breakfast specialty of eggs Benedict, which was delicious. The rooms are quiet, beautiful, and spacious, with everything in working order and well maintained. Iowa House is just a few blocks to the shops and restaurants of Campus Town and the lovely ISU campus. Coffee, tea, fruit, and snacks are available at any hour, and the living room on the first floor is an inviting place just to sit and relax. I highly recommend Iowa House to anyone.

Room Tip: I recommend rooms on the third floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lexington, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a very good experience a couple of years ago, so were looking forward to staying. However, this time we took the basement room which smelled very musty, and was obviously not kept dry (dehumidifier) when unoccupied, creating problems for mold-sensitive people (us). One of the plants was half-dead, obviously not cared for. We left for dinner, and returned after staff left. That's when we realized that she had not given us the WiFi password. We knew of no way to contact anyone for information. No connection that night.

Our main criticism was Monday morning breakfast, scheduled 7 to 9am: we arrived upstairs 7:15am but no one there. The cook finally rushed in at 7:45, apologized, and headed for the kitchen. I would guess he was at least 2 hours late!! We asked him for the internet connection and he gave it to us (at last). The breakfast he served was excellent, and the conversation shared was most interesting.

We emailed management about this but have received no response for over a month.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Finbarr1941
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I believe this was once a fraternity house that was converted to a hotel. It is so comfortable with a Frank Lloyd Wright kind of feel on the inside. My room was very comfortable and clean. Lots of pillows! We had a lovely fixed complimentary breakfast in the morning which was unlike a normal continental breakfast at other hotels. Please allow time for your meal since there are only 2 tables of 6 in the dining room, but worth adjusting you schedule to eat there. There are only stairs in the hotel, so dont expect an elevator. I found this place to be a hidden gem and loved my stay while we visited Iowa State.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LKC91
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I were in Ames to drop our daughter who got graduate admission at ISU. I had reserved the iowahouse based on reviews. I have no regrets.One of our best stays ever. Right from Anna,the housekeeping lady, Veronica for their service with a smile and then for the breakfast -Carl and Svetlana - they were all just so wonderful. "No" wasn't a word their dictionary. Leave aside the strategic location - walkable to both campus and campustown, breakfasts in the Iowa house will always be remembered. Because there are only a few large tables, different guests sit at the same table and conversation and making friends is such a natural process. And Carl's and Svetlanas yummy egg dishes- were simply awesome. The India Palace is just down the road-very convenient for anyone looking for Indian food. No two thoughts on where we will stay - accomodation being available!
Venkat and Sudha

Room Tip: All clean rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family