“A dump compared to most Country Inn's.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ames, IA
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Iowa
“A dump compared to most Country Inn's.”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We booked a jacuzzi suite here after a long, hard, day, because I love the breakfast at the Country Inn chains, and the jacuzzi so that we could relax our tired muscles. First I went to put my soda in the fridge, and it was turned off. The overflow freezer tray was full of water and a soaked towel was in the bottom of the fridge. A look at the jacuzzi finds a small bug crawling around the drain. Turning the air conditioner on lasted a whole 5 minutes before it would shut off permanently for the night. A routine bedbug check finds "pubes" in the bed and we hadn't been in the bed yet obviously. No bedbugs however. Then the most disappointing thing of all. Breakfast. OMG, Country Inn advertises a hot breakfast, and this was scraping the bottom of the barrel WORST hot breakfast EVER in any hotel, and I am including very cheap motels here. AWFUL!!! This Country inn in Ames, Iowa strives to be the cheapest hotel possible. The hot breakfast??? An egg omelet which was almost all egg, and a few scraps of green peppers, wrapped in a tortilla shell. LMAO, I honestly was angry with this. I was tricked, duped, and taken by what I had always thought was a good, decent hotel chain. I don't know about you readers, but let me tell you, no one has ever offered me a tortilla omelet for breakfast. Probably because that is an idiotic choice for a breakfast item. There was no bacon, no sausage, no meat of any kind. Fruit? No. There was this omelet thing, waffles, or cereal. Oh, there were some bagels, english muffins, and toast also. We also were not offered any "complimentary" cookies. Thanks cheapskates. Also I emailed Country Inn Corp this review and told them I would give them a chance to respond before posting to tripadvisor. Their acknowledgement email said they woud respond within 48 hours, and guess what? No response. This might be my last stay at a Country Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank hollywoodhorror
cx_ames, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ames, IA, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed this issue with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

515-233-3935

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Maquoketa, Iowa
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Recently stayed here for the first time. I have stayed in many Ames hotels in the last 4 years. We stayed in the room 208 Suite. It was $234; however, it was larger than most of the one-bedroom apartments in Ames. One of the most comfortable king-size beds I have ever slept in, in a hotel. The staff was fantastic and very accommodating. We were only in our room for about 10 minutes and they called to see if we needed anything. Great continental breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We stayed in the "hotel from hell" the previous night, in Nevada. If I had to pay $234 over the Budget Inn price of $85 from Nevada, I would do it in a heartbeat. Nice pool. Great cookies, helpful staff. I would have no problem staying in ANY rooms at this hotel. Appreciated the cleanliness. I was great to take breakfast to our suite, sit at the table, in private, and eat as a family when coming from out of town to visit our daughter.

Room Tip: Grab a corner suite!!! Well worth the money !!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Lake Zurich
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We traveled to Ames to visit Iowa State University, which is 10 minutes away. With a younger sibling, it's helpful to have a two-room suite so he can get to bed earlier. Our suite had a king in one room, then a queen and pull-out sofa in another - perfect for 5 people. The free cookies at the front desk were tasty and welcome as we came and went. We went swimming, but the water did seem a little cloudy. Decor is a bit dated.

Room Tip: Two-room suite is convenient for a family of 5.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CDLZ
Debra P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ames, IA, responded to this review, December 31, 2014
Dear Marianne,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Country Inns & Suites.I will be sure to share your comments with my staff. We look forward to your next stay.

Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!

Galva, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2012

First of all let me say that I have stayed in numerous county inns and suites all across the US. I have actually stayed at this hotel on several occasions in the past. I chose this hotel based on its perceived “value”. According to the country inn and suites website indicates that there are evening cocktails that are complimentary for the first hour from 5:30-6:30 and then at a discount for the 2nd hour. This to me adds “value” to the price of the room. Upon arrival to the hotel, we inquired about the cocktail reception, upon which we were informed that as of a few months ago the drinks are no longer “complimentary”. The cost for a beer was $1 or $5 for a pitcher. It really was not a big issue, however, the issue is the principle of the situation, and the fact that website says the drinks are complimentary. Later that night, I was browsing through the hotel fact book and found the page that talked about the hotel services and it too read that beer was complimentary for the first hour. Now go figure, I understand that maybe you couldn’t get the website adjusted in a few months because of it being corporate, but now the hotel fact sheet is a different story. Someone could go to all the rooms and use a permanent marker to black it out. The room itself was fine, just a typical hotel room, nothing special. The internet in the lobby was very slow. Upon checking out the next morning, my husband even addressed his concerns of the evening cocktails. The front desk clerk would not do anything because of the way we had booked the room. We used 5000 honors points to receive the room at a discount and because we booked the room at a “discount” she couldn’t do anything for us. Really, doesn’t the fact that we used some honors points tell you that we’ve been loyal to County Inn and Suites for a while? For me, all things being equal, I will not put this hotel at the top of my Ames hotel list. The AmericInn right next door is just as nice and I received a $75 voucher after 10 stays

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed February 24, 2012

First time at this hotel and I was very happy with my stay. Very competive rates if not lower. Nice rooms and wonderful breakfast. Staff was very helpful and willing to go out of their way to help. You don't see that very often anymore.
Will stay again!

Room Tip: Upgraded King Suite was very roomy for a 4 day stay!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Stayed on a Friday night with my husband & son to attend the State Lego League tournament. Staff was great. They had happy hour, free wine & beer that we were able to take advantage of. Kept the 'bar' open longer than usual for our needs so the kids could all eat together. Rooms were nothing special but suited are needs. Bathroom seemed a little outdated, wallpaper and counters. There is no fan in the bathroom either so the mirror gets fogged up when anyone takes a shower. Had complimentary breakfast the next morning with alot of other kids who where there for the Lego tourney. Staff opened up the conference room that is adjacant to the breakfast room to accomadate all the people. Location is great, right off Hwy 30 very close to the football stadium. When I called to make a reservation I was able to request the floor I wanted our room on.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Denver, CO
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This Country Inn is a really easy on/off from US 30 in Ames. My room was clean, and the beds had wonderful thick duvets on them - perfect for winter sleeping. The fridge was a little small, and the microwave sounded like it needed a new fan belt ;-), but my room location was superb. It overlooked a small pond instead of a parking lot with intrusive lighting (for those of us who like to have our drapes open and be awakened by the morning light instead of a noisy alarm clock). The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, even when I requested a room change because I did not give them enough information up front about what I was looking for. I will definitely stay here again next time I need to be in Ames.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, north side, facing away from the freeway.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo