“College Visit to Ames with Family”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ames, IA
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Lake Zurich
“College Visit to Ames with Family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

We traveled to Ames to visit Iowa State University, which is 10 minutes away. With a younger sibling, it's helpful to have a two-room suite so he can get to bed earlier. Our suite had a king in one room, then a queen and pull-out sofa in another - perfect for 5 people. The free cookies at the front desk were tasty and welcome as we came and went. We went swimming, but the water did seem a little cloudy. Decor is a bit dated.

Room Tip: Two-room suite is convenient for a family of 5.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CDLZ
Debra P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ames, IA, responded to this review, December 31, 2014
Dear Marianne,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Country Inns & Suites.I will be sure to share your comments with my staff. We look forward to your next stay.

Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!

Debra Pratt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Galva, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

First of all let me say that I have stayed in numerous county inns and suites all across the US. I have actually stayed at this hotel on several occasions in the past. I chose this hotel based on its perceived “value”. According to the country inn and suites website indicates that there are evening cocktails that are complimentary for the first hour from 5:30-6:30 and then at a discount for the 2nd hour. This to me adds “value” to the price of the room. Upon arrival to the hotel, we inquired about the cocktail reception, upon which we were informed that as of a few months ago the drinks are no longer “complimentary”. The cost for a beer was $1 or $5 for a pitcher. It really was not a big issue, however, the issue is the principle of the situation, and the fact that website says the drinks are complimentary. Later that night, I was browsing through the hotel fact book and found the page that talked about the hotel services and it too read that beer was complimentary for the first hour. Now go figure, I understand that maybe you couldn’t get the website adjusted in a few months because of it being corporate, but now the hotel fact sheet is a different story. Someone could go to all the rooms and use a permanent marker to black it out. The room itself was fine, just a typical hotel room, nothing special. The internet in the lobby was very slow. Upon checking out the next morning, my husband even addressed his concerns of the evening cocktails. The front desk clerk would not do anything because of the way we had booked the room. We used 5000 honors points to receive the room at a discount and because we booked the room at a “discount” she couldn’t do anything for us. Really, doesn’t the fact that we used some honors points tell you that we’ve been loyal to County Inn and Suites for a while? For me, all things being equal, I will not put this hotel at the top of my Ames hotel list. The AmericInn right next door is just as nice and I received a $75 voucher after 10 stays

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

First time at this hotel and I was very happy with my stay. Very competive rates if not lower. Nice rooms and wonderful breakfast. Staff was very helpful and willing to go out of their way to help. You don't see that very often anymore.
Will stay again!

Room Tip: Upgraded King Suite was very roomy for a 4 day stay!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Cedar Rapids, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

Stayed on a Friday night with my husband & son to attend the State Lego League tournament. Staff was great. They had happy hour, free wine & beer that we were able to take advantage of. Kept the 'bar' open longer than usual for our needs so the kids could all eat together. Rooms were nothing special but suited are needs. Bathroom seemed a little outdated, wallpaper and counters. There is no fan in the bathroom either so the mirror gets fogged up when anyone takes a shower. Had complimentary breakfast the next morning with alot of other kids who where there for the Lego tourney. Staff opened up the conference room that is adjacant to the breakfast room to accomadate all the people. Location is great, right off Hwy 30 very close to the football stadium. When I called to make a reservation I was able to request the floor I wanted our room on.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

This Country Inn is a really easy on/off from US 30 in Ames. My room was clean, and the beds had wonderful thick duvets on them - perfect for winter sleeping. The fridge was a little small, and the microwave sounded like it needed a new fan belt ;-), but my room location was superb. It overlooked a small pond instead of a parking lot with intrusive lighting (for those of us who like to have our drapes open and be awakened by the morning light instead of a noisy alarm clock). The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, even when I requested a room change because I did not give them enough information up front about what I was looking for. I will definitely stay here again next time I need to be in Ames.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, north side, facing away from the freeway.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank crwdenver
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

There is a cluster of hotels in this area of Ames and this is the best. We have stayed at this property only once and with the great staff wonderful rooms, the excellant breakfast it is enough to keep us coming back. We will be returning to ISU for a few years and this is were we will stay.

Room Tip: Suites are very nice
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I spoke to front desk cleak, Alicia, late on a Thursday night since a hotel where we were going to stay had very small rooms. She let me come to the hotel, look at a suite, and book it immediately. She really saved me from dealing with cranky kids and it was much appreciated! I also met several house keepers who were very friendly and accomodating.

The hotel is nice, has good food, and a nice pool. It's certainly showing its age (creeky floors, faulty toilet) but was just fine for our needs.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room on the 3rd floor if your kids wake up to loud noises.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
cx_ames, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ames, IA, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
I will be sharing your comments with my staff!

Debra