“Nice facility, but a little costly for what you get.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Ames

Hilton Garden Inn Ames
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Dixon, United States
“Nice facility, but a little costly for what you get.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Overall not a bad experience. I was a little surprised to not find wireless internet, so it was a good thing I had the cable with me. Room was clean and neat. Making coffee with a Keurig was a plus. The décor of the motel was nice enough. I was a little surprised that there wasn't a complementary breakfast provided, for the cost of the room. Would I stay here again? Maybe.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Patricia C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Marta M,
Thank you for choosing us during your recent Ames visit. We do offer wireless service and I apologize if we did not explain to you how to access it. We are increasing our bandwidth and hope to have that completed by the end of May. All Hilton Garden Inns offer a full breakfast buffet including fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries, hot and cold cereals and made to order eggs, pancakes and waffles. A lighter breakfast is available too as well as some "food on the go" in our 24 hour Pantry. We will be more than happy to accommodate your tastes. We do hope that we will be your first choice in lodging on future visits. We would be honored to serve you again.

Patty Chang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
St. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was my first trip to Ames for a business trip. I was told this was the newest hotel in Ames. The hotel design is very updated and pleasant on the inside. The lobby and area for eating was very clean. The people at the front desk were extremely helpful with restaurant choices, they even have a nice map of the area eating establishiments. I ended up eating at the bar area for dinner. They make a tomato soup from scratch that was delicious, then a very good portabello mushroom sandwich. The personnel in that area were also very nice. The breakfasts were similar to what I have experienced at other Hilton Gardens. I did discuss with the waiter they should offer gluten free pancakes, as they did at another recent Hilton Garden hotel. The room was very quiet and clean. I thought the mattress was a bit firm, and I like them firm! The fitness center was good, you need to bring your own headphones for the TV on the exercise equipment. I would also recommend them getting some of the wipes for the guests to use after using the equipment. In summary, was a very pleasant stay, would stay there again for an another trip to the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear MarciaLynn4
Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to being your lodging choice on future trips to Ames. We do rely on Guest Feedback to improve our services. Ear buds are offered to our guests using the fitness center but we have kept them at our Front Desk. We will be putting them in our fitness center from Sunday through Thursday for easy access. On weekends ear buds will still be available at our Front Desk. I apologize that we were out of the sanitary wipes but they are now back in stock.

Patty Chang
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I travel 250 days a year and practically live in Hilton flagged properties and am usually pretty forgiving, but this one takes the cake. I was upgraded to a suite - a very large room with a separate bedroom, but the "very large room" is just a vacant space with no additional furnishings or amenities than you'd find in a regular room. By the time I was done unpacking I noticed a lot of goop on the coffee table and an end table,which I washed off, then I noted red stains in the carpet, picked up a toothpick from the bedroom carpet, then stepped on something that turned out to be a fake fingernail someone discard, then I found two more of them in various locations in the middle of the living area, found some food on the floor and a shampoo bottle cap on the bedroom floor. The luggage stand is so bent out of shape it was unusable. The wired Internet access (ethernet port) doesn't work, the Internet access speed are slower than 56k dialup modems from 15 years ago,
and I felt as though I had checked into a Motel 6 (no offense to them). This was shocking for me, a very frequent traveler. The staff was appalled and apologetic and I typically say that the real heroes of the hospitality industry (which I work in) are housekeeping staff members, but in this case, they need to start over. This may be just a very odd one-time event (I sure hope so), but beware!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RogerBrooks
Patricia C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay with us. I apologize for the condition that you found your room in and the inconvenience it caused you. This was an error on our part as the previous guest left one day early and she departed after our normal checkout. Her room was cleaned before we knew that she was leaving. The guest did go back then and use the room after it was cleaned. There was a failure to communicate her early departure between our front desk and housekeeping team members and the room was listed as ready to rent before a re-inspection. Unfortunately, while we thought we were up-grading your accommodations, we did not give you the value added amenity or the stay that you expect from a Hilton Garden Inn. Your feedback is important to us as we discussed this experience with our team members and how we will avoid any future occurrence. As you are in the hospitality business, I am grateful for your understanding that this is an “odd one-time event”. We would appreciate, on any of your future visits to Ames, to be your choice hotel. I can assure you that you will experience the true hospitality and accommodations that we proudly give our guests.

Patty Chang, General Manager
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

The room and amenities were great. The hotel staff were wonderful - flexible, patient, and very nice! I booked the room under my name, and my sister arrived before me and was able to check in with no problems (I'd made a note of this possibility when I booked online). Later, we asked about adding the breakfast to our one-night stay. The staff person explained the options and process thoroughly (e.g., if we paid that night for the next day, it was $5 instead of $10, but also non-refundable). Everything was so easy and helped make for a relaxing stay!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank mishymonkey
We appreciate all feedback and we are especially proud when we are able to make our guests' visit to Ames a bit more relaxing and comfortable. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team members. Your comments have been share with our staff. We look forward to serving you on future visits to Ames.

Patty Chang, General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Looking for a hotel to stay for the next few years and we found it! Stayed here two nights for a college visit and everything was perfect.
Beautiful room
Clean room
Immaculate workout facility
Outstanding staff
Superb breakfast
Beautiful hotel with a really good pizza place next door!
I'd give it ten stars if I could!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patricia C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Newhamphire,
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! It is the goal of our dedicated staff to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable at our hotel. When we hear about happy experiences such as yours, we are extremely proud to have had a small contribution in making your visit memorable.

We look forward to being your host on future visits to Ames!!

Pqtty Chang, CHA
Crawfordsville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

My room was very clean, stocked with quality products and very quiet considering being on HWY 30. The staff was polite, very helpful and attentive to everyones needs. I was close to the ISU campus, but not too close that I was bothered with distractions. I would recommend staying at this Hilton to all.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Indianola, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Very nice looking hotel. Room quality is good and clean. My major complaints are the bed not being comfortable, noise transfer between rooms, and noise of the wall furnace in the room. Access to the hotel is good right off Highway 30 in West Ames.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business