“Questionable Chinese Food and Service”
Review of House of Chen - CLOSED

House of Chen
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I am from Ames and I use to love eating at the House of Chen (when they were located originally behind North Grand Mall). The original owners, the Chens(?), were generous people and very friendly. Every time I would order, Mrs Chen would always say, "Is 10 min okay?" In time, I heard the cook had bought the restaurant. I went back to eat at the restaurant numerous times during my college years and fortunately, the great taste was still there.

Fast forward 10 years later. Their ownership has changed again, I believe. They have moved their location in a questionable area. My parents, long time Ames residence, say their owners are of a questionable nature. In short, it is like going to the hood. I have friends from Ames who still say the food is still good. Perhaps.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

They were the first Chinese restaurant in town and still great after all of these years. I have been eating there for decades and never had a problem.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is a family run restaurant on the east side of Ames. The area is under development, but food at this place is amazing and service that you can only expect at a family run establishment. My favorite is General Zou chicken and twice cooked pork is amazing also.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food quality is very variable, it used to be a good restaurant, but it has gone down hill in recent years. I have a friend that likes it which is the only reason I go back, I would not recommend it to any one.

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I love House of Chen. It's a weekly regular lunch stop. Fast, friendly service, piping hot, fresh food, and great value. Get there early because they fill up quickly.