“Good Family Style Meal”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Amana
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: You hungry? Famous for American and German food served "Family Style". Hearty and light portions including chicken, hand cut steaks, roast beef, sauerbraten, wiener schnitzel cutlets, Amana made brats, pork chops, catfish, sandwiches, salads, homemade soups and desserts...Including rhubarb custard with meringue topping, chocolate and coconut cream pies. Pies to Go. Children's and Carryout menus. Local, American and imported wines, beers, and cocktails. Serving daily Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Banquets and on Sundays a Four Entree Brunch Buffet. The Ox Yoke Inn is "An Amana Colonies Tradition Since 1940." It's main dining rooms were built in 1856, and is a National Historic Landmark. Five generations of the Leichsenring family have owned and operated the restaurant.
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good Family Style Meal”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Nothing fancy, just good Family Style Food. Cottage Cheese is a real treat. Portions more than adequate.

Visited December 2013

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Dinner before Theater”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had not been to the Ox Yoke Inn in several years and was looking forward to the Sauerbraten . It was good, not great as I remembered, and skimpy on the gravy. I love spatzle with sauerbraten, so ordered it on the side and it was dry. The red cabbage salad was amazing and I loved it! There were 3 adults in our party, and we ordered the plate dinners upon the servers suggestion and I wished we had ordered family style. The chicken and shrimp dinners my friends ordered seemed really skimpy. The rhubarb meringue pie was excellent. I think it is lovely that the old style German environment has been maintained.

• Visited November 2013
“Very Good Lunch and Dinner”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We had a nice lunch and dinner here. The wait staff were friendly and well versed in describing the menu and various choices available. The portions were just enough ordering the plate dinner. The food was well prepared and was tasty. The hostess was a bit surely at dinner tonight. We made a comment that it was warm. She said, "Well I'm not going to turn the air on." It was very cool outside. We sure weren't asking her to so that. Our waitress apologized for her. So we got on with the meal and had an enjoyable time. Worth eating here.

• Visited November 2013
Abilene, Texas
“Good food”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Good food and generous portions but not much atmosphere. Ate in a brightly lit room. Good service. Central to shopping area.

Visited October 2013
SANTA ROSA CA
“Has become too commercialized”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I believe that this restaurant has become too commercialized over the years. Service was poor and we were seated a half hour after our reservation. My chicken schnitzel was average as well as the side dishes. Very pricey for what I got.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank SONIATRAVELER

Been to Ox Yoke Inn? Share your experiences!