“Very mediocre”
Review of Adventureland Inn

Adventureland Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family (myself, husband, and two kids 8 & 5) recently stayed for two nights at the Adventureland Inn. This place has aged big-time, and is in need of a major facelift before it's too late and needs a tear-down. The location is good, next to Adventureland. We like the free trolley system to get to and from the park, especially with young families who may need to take breaks. Some days we waited a few minutes for the trolley, a few times it was more like 15minutes. The pool areas are very kid-friendly and fun (young kids), but are also in need of a face lift. Also, if the pools are busy, it's downright dangerous....especially the pool with the two medium-sized slides. Overall, it's fairly clean. I will say, however, on our day of checkout, housekeeping knocked on our door before 10am.......we were packing up, but not gone yet! Isn't there a system for them finding out when people have vacated! We felt pushed out. It's VERY overpriced for what you get.......but again, location is good, and the trolley system is nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank IAnurse
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We are happy to hear how much you like the trolley and the location to Adventureland Park. We are in the process of looking at updates for the hotel in this upcoming off season. We hope that you and your family had enjoyable moments throughout your trip.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

So nice to have a fun hotel right next door to Adventureland so that we can spend the night and be ready for a fun day at the park the next day. Parking is included and they provide a trolley to take you over (although you could easily walk as well). Rooms aren't anything exciting or fancy and could use a sprucing up, but do the job. The pools are super fun for the kids. Swim up bar is fun for the adults although it gets a bit loud in the pool areas with all of the kids having a blast. I personally enjoyed the hot tub although my eyes were stinging from the insanely high amounts of chlorine. If you have kids, a room that overlooks the pool is a great idea, but if you don't and would like quiet make sure you request not being poolside. Fun but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Be sure to request not being poolside if you prefer quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here at Adventureland Inn. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Where to start....we stayed here before and had a horrible experience. Thought we would give it a 2nd chance. Shame on us. First, the rooms are outdated. We had a patio, but no furniture. When we asked for some, we got one chair and a table. The main reason I stayed here was for the trolley to and from the park-the trolley that clearly states you must have a wristband to ride. Almost each time we rode the trolley we had to put up with grumpy drivers who complained about the lack of ac and teenagers, who did not have bracelets, riding the trolley to walk to the McDonald's across the street, swearing and acting like idiots. When I asked the driver to remove them due to the lack of bracelts, he would n't. I then complained to the manager, who said the park employed them, and stated he would call the park. That did no good, they were still riding, swearing and all. On our last day there, we noticed our daughter's blankie was missing from the day before. We went to the front desk and they claimed they would look for it. We have called numerous times, each time being told they would "look.". Needless to say, almost three weeks later, nothing. It was there on the bed when we left for the park and gone when we got back. So, once again, a horrible experience. This is the 2nd time we have stayed there and the 2nd time an item has gone missing from our room.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank dalejr8prncss
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

On behalf on our General Manager, Joseph Formaro:
I do sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your most recent stay with us. We do our best to ensure that everything found is catalogued and able to be sent out. We successfully return hundreds of items to guests each month. Unfortunately our success rate is not 100% and I am truly sorry we could not locate the blanket. I will share all of your comments with team members at both the hotel and the park as evidence of areas we must improve. We hope not all of your experiences with us were negative and I thank you for your past business.
Joseph Formaro

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at Adventure Land Inn as a cousins weekend. When we got there we thought it was nice. We were pool side and the first night was great and relaxing. That Saturday the whole family went to adventure land and I brought my son back because he was getting tired. The cleaning lady came in to clean. I thought I would be nice and get out of her way so we went to the pool for 10 minutes and then a small walk. She took an hour to clean the room. Shorty after she left I noticed my wallet was gone. The staff was nice and we called the police to file a report. My whole family search everywhere on the grounds. I canceled all my credit cards. Four hours later I found my wallet in a garbage can in the women's bathroom. The cleaning lady took my wallet, grabbed the cash and tossed it. We knew it was her because she was the only one in the room. Sad part was she saw I had a child to take care of and still stole from me. The police report was closed and we called the general manager to let him know because he told us to talk to the police and once their investigation was done we would go about a compensation. He is yet to return any calls and doesn't seem like he wants to help. Funny thing is there is no safe in the room to keep personal items locked up. Its a nice place to stay but if you don't want things stolen keep your stuff with you.

7  Thank Kelly M

On behalf of our General Manager, Joseph Formaro:
Thank you for your review and comments in regards to your recent stay with us. First let me again apologize for the unfortunate events that happened during your stay. As mentioned to your brother Michael in our telephone conversation on Wednesday June 25th, we would like to keep you and your family’s business and would be happy to work with you if and when you chose to return with your family. I was not made aware the case was closed, but reached out to local police after reading your review. The case was closed with no direct evidence linking the housekeeper to the wallet found in the public restroom. Safes in the room is one of my top priorities this next year as mentioned to your brother Michael in our conversation. I know that will not help you in this particular situation, however it may help others in the future avoid any issues or suspicions of our housekeeping team. Adventureland Inn also recommends that valuables are kept under close watch or checked in to the hotel safe located at the front desk. If and when you choose to give us another opportunity, please reach out to me at my direct line 515.957.5701.
Joseph Formaro

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We love AdventureLand Park and we love to stay here - it completes the day AND the fun! We all greatly enjoy the hotel's pools. The hot tubs and swim-up bar (the smoothies are fantastic) are also a perfect way to relax after a day at the park. We stayed in a family suite this last time and it was great! There was plenty of room - it could sleep 6. Also, the hotel offers a fantastic breakfast buffet which plenty of tasty food at a reasonable price. AdventureLand Inn offers a trolly to the park which is very convenient and we never have to wait long for the trolly to make its rounds. We usually visit at least once a summer and we always stay - and will continue to stay - here. It really is a fun way to end the day by swimming and relaxing in the pool areas.

Room Tip: If you like an active room that is close to the pool area, get a pool East balcony room in the main...
1  Thank CaymanDiverMama
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We appreciate your detailed feedback from the amenities, sleeping rooms, to the food and beverages, and are delighted that your family loves to visit every year. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.
Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel was very reasonable. We didn't have a reservation as we went in spur of the moment. We arrived at about 1:00 a.m. and were given a room with a patio. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, although the floor felt a bit damp (possibly due to recent shampooing?) The hotel had reasonably priced breakfast ($8.00 for adults-although kids over 10 are considered adults there). Although we didn't use the pools, they looked fun and inviting. They also have free trolley rides to Adventureland, leaving every 15 minutes. Overall it was a nice resort.

1  Thank Shelleystarr2753
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed the rooms as well as the breakfast buffet. We hope to see you and your family again in the future.
Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Decided to stay here for the convenience of the free trolley rides to and from Adventureland Park, because we always like to have a few cold one's while we're there! ;) We had adjoining rooms, which was appreciated. We booked the rooms online and weren't able to request adjoining rooms since two families were paying separately. I called the Inn to make the reservation so we could have the adjoining rooms, but they wouldn't honor the internet room rate which was substantially better! Very disappointing!
Our room itself was clean as were the public areas and grounds. The staff were friendly, but they didn't offer any information unless you asked eg. where would the best place be for me to park in relation to my room?
The shower was awful - zero water pressure - shower head is mounted for persons who are under five feet tall - sloooooow drain. We all wound up standing ankle deep in our own mucky shower water! Gross! Had to run the tub faucet to rinse off our feet! I thought maybe it was just our tub/shower, but our adjoining room was the same.
We didn't have time to use any of the pool areas, but they looked nice/clean. Drink prices at the swim-up bar were a little steep so it's probably a good thing we didn't have time!
Domino's doesn't deliver here - What?! Are you kidding?! Our Domino's at home is awesome! Anyway, the front desk recommended Northern Lights Pizza. Keep searching, it wasn't good. I'll be reviewing that next!
Would I stay here again? Maybe with some convincing, otherwise I'll skip the cold one's and drive a few blocks.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms offer a private patio area with a table and two chairs. Room 153 is right in front o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We apologize for the issues with the shower and drains but I have passed the information along to our maintenance team. If you do decided to stay with us again, we also have our own pizza on property that we should have also recommended during your stay. We appreciate your feedback which will only help us improve our property as well as our team. We hope that you enjoyed your time at Adventureland Park as well as other parts of your stay with us at the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Altoona
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Best Western Plus Altoona Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altoona - Des Moines
Hampton Inn & Suites Altoona - Des Moines
Prairie Meadows Hotel
Prairie Meadows Hotel
#2 of 10 in Altoona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Altoona

Been to Adventureland Inn? Share your experiences!