“Great swim up bar and hot tub!”
Review of Adventureland Inn

Adventureland Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Had a great stay with our school aged kids. The kids can go to the swim up bar also and get a smoothie. Bartender very nice about this. Hot tub is very clean and HOT- just like it should be. I recommend court side room so kids can go in and out of room and pool area. There are "referrees" there with black & white shirts to help everyone stay safe!

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank iteacher
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. We are delighted that your time staying with us was above your expectations. We hope to see you and your family again in the future.
Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I just returned from a two night stay at Adventureland Inn. I was a bit hesistant after reading some of the reviews, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The outside of the hotel has a last century vibe, but the standard room (2 queens) clearly has been updated. The room was not as plush as the conference hotel where some of my collegues stayed, but it was larger, and had a refridgerator which was a huge plus to me. There was also a table with two chairs, and additional sitting chair, and a private outdoor patio area for my first floor room (non-waterpark view). There was a full bathroom plus an extra sink/bar area outside the bathroom. There was a Keruig coffeemaker with 4 coffee K-cups. I did not use the pools, but did walk through. The West Courtyard has a large pool with a couple small slides and a regular-sized hot tub. The East Courtyard had a large kiddie pool and a separate pool with swim-up bar area, and a very large rectangular hot tub. I did notice that the morning I left there was a sign that the West Courtyard was closed for maintenance. The room did include 5 wristbands for the pool areas and to use for the Adventurland trolley. There also is a trolley or shuttle to the casino/conference center next door which my colleague used but did not. If you have business at the casion/conference center I recommend driving or using the shuttle, as the distance isn't practical to walk especially with a very large parking lot, fence, and swampy area in between. I enjoyed my stay at Adventureland inn, the beds were comfortable with 4 pillows each. I plan to return withy my husband and child the next time we visit Adventureland.

Room Tip: If you want an outdoor patio, ask for an outside room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Mistizoom
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time staying here. We look forward to seeing you and your family in the future.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed at the Adventureland Inn on a recent trip back to Iowa with our 3 month old and 2 year old. While there I was awoken at 11:30 PM to the sound of dripping water. At 1:30 AM the dripping still had not stopped. Rain was leaking through the roof and our ceiling, and by that time was causing wallpaper to come off the wall and had soaked the carpet. We decided at this point to ask to move rooms.
Moving rooms was quite an undertaking in the middle of the night with 2 young sleeping children.
In the morning we were not contacted by management at all, and I had to ask when checking out if we were going to be compensated in any way. The front desk clerk put a 20% off coupon on our room, which is hardly compensation considering this is available on their website (if I had looked a bit harder before our stay).
I would absolutely not recommend staying here in the future, and we will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Fgsk8r17
Brianne F, General Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

On behalf of the General Manager:
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We apologize for the issue with the rain leaking through the ceiling and for having to move your children during the middle of the night. We have taken the necessary measures to fix this issue. We hate to lose your business and hope that other aspects of your evening were positive. If you reconsider and choose to return, please contact me directly. We would be happy to offer more compensation on a return stay. We appreciate your feedback.
Joseph Formaro
515-957-5701

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Room was nice, very clean. A/C did not appear to be working, but we had a room right off of one of the two pools. I don' t know it was the humidity from the pool that was causing the room to be so warm and stuff or if the A/C didn't work. Very accommodating with needs that came with the hot room. The pools were nice, and the kids (4 and 1) loved the zero entry pool. The swim up bar was not open on the Sunday night that we stayed, not sure why. Went to the restaurant the following morning and we had the joint to ourselves. Food was good, and portions were very large for us. All in all a good place with a nice little spot to hit for food the next morning.v

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Andrew,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that the children enjoyed the pools as well as breakfast. Unfortunately, during the off season from Adventureland Park, the swim up bar is only open Friday and Saturday's, but during the Park season, it is open every night of the week. We hope to see you and your family again in the future for another mini-vacation.
Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed March 25, 2014

My sister lives in Altoona, IA so we had a family reunion at the Adventureland Inn with family from three different states. There were 19 of us total ranging in age from 1 year to 79 years. Everyone had a blast! Check-in was a tad bit disappointing – you are supposed to be able to check in at 4 p.m. and our rooms weren't ready until almost 5 p.m. But otherwise everything went well. The rooms are decent and clean and they have Keurig single-cup coffeemakers which was a plus! We enjoyed being able to brew fresh coffee in our rooms instead of buying it from the restaurant. All the kids loved swimming in the pools. There is one big pool that has two kiddie slides in one of the pools, then the other courtyard has a toddler/preschooler-friendly pool and in the same courtyard a different pool that has a swim-up bar. We had never seen this concept and we enjoyed having margaritas at the swim-up bar while watching the kids play in the pool. (Remember to bring your ID because they will ask for it! Guess they expect you to wear it inside your swimsuit/swim trunks – ha!) You can pay cash or else charge it to your room. One cool thing about the rooms we had was they have patios that lead into the parking lot, so we were able to back up our minivans to our room's patio and it made unloading and packing up SO easy and convenient. We stayed 3 nights and I would go back if given the chance. The only bad thing about the pools is I wish there was a slide for adults/teenagers. The slides they have are all for little-ish kids (around 10 and under). One tip for coffee drinkers, bring your own cream and sugar because they don't give you much (if any) in the rooms. Overall a great stay and we hope to go back! We only ate at the restaurant once but it was good and you got a lot of food for the money.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jessica M
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us here at Adventureland Inn. We appreciate your attention to our details and your feedback. We are delighted you and your family had a wonderful experience with us for your Family Reunion. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

In march it's quiet and there's a nice pool and hot tub that many people enjoyed today but last night no one was out there. this is just an average room. There isn't a safe or rack to place your suitcase. I have a outside facing room on the first floor the has a patio but no where to sit, perhaps because this has been a long winter & the didn't think anyone would use it. The Philly cheesesteak dinner and breakfast was both good but I was the only one there for both meals when there season hits I bet it's a hopping place.

• Stayed: March 2014
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. We appreciate all feedback we receive from guests. There is furniture for the outside patios that we offer during the summer. I will pass your wonderful feedback on our food along to our Culinary team. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I and 2 small children (ages 1 and 3) stayed on Valentine's weekend in a balcony west room. I had been checking for over a month for a room at both here and the Ramada Tropics but both were booked. I luckily found a room 4 days before..and then another room for some friends the day before due to some cancellations. I booked online with ease (the last time I stayed here I could not get the website to work but I called and they still honored the online price).

Check in was at 4 p.m. however they allowed us to check in around 2:30 despite the hotel being completely sold out. Check in was fine and they made arrangments for us and our friends to have a room directly across from each other. Our room overlooked the West courtyard and our friends overlooked the east courtyard. Our room was a little more outdated than theirs but both were fine. Bed seemed comfortable and clean and the fridge worked fine. The room was very warm (even after turning the thermostat very low) and I think this was due to the heaters that are in the courtyards. My kids liked to be on the balcony and would leave the sliding door open (which was broken and too hard to close anyway). If I were to stay again though I would probably choose a standard room. The pools are open until 1030 pm which is too late for my young family who is in bed by 9. It is very loud even with the doors shut. Another thing is our key did not work in our room two different times which meant we had to haul the kids down to the lobby for new keys. After the 2nd time they sent maintenance up to change the battery in the key reader. And we had no problems after that.

Soon after checking in we ordered some appetizers and pizza from the lounge. Food was great and done within 20 minutes. We were able to eat at some tables right by the pool.

There are 'lifeguards' on duty. The gentelman with the knee brace deserves a shout out as he was very helpful and friendly. He got us towels and was concerned when my son was coughing from swallowing too much water :) There was another gentelman though who we first spoke too upon arriving. We tried to ask him how to order food and it seemed he did not know anything about the place. He even went as far as to say he has never swam or stayed in the room and he has never even been on the rides at the park and that it is "just a job to him" and that they dont let him do those things anyway.

My biggest compaint for the weekend was that the entrance to the zero depth pool was VERY slippery. Both lifeguards were kind enough to come and warn me right away which I do appreciate very much. They said it had been recently painted. I told them they should have a rubber mat there (or at the very least a sign). It was a very big safety problem.

Another note, we ordered some drinks and juice for the kids at the swimup bar. That was fun and the bartendere was a nice guy.

We also ate breakfast at the buffet in the morning and the waitress-cute little lady whose name started with an H (different name) was so sweet. She even gave my son a nickel to throw in the fountain.

checkout was at 11. I wish it was noon so we could have swam longer since it didnt open until 8:30.

Overall, I wish this hotel would update themselves. It is getting a little old and rundown from the carpet to the railings to the unsafe cement. I enjoy the atmosphere and the pools are pretty nice for little kids and it is the only "waterpark" type hotel besides the Ramada in the area and both around the same price. The ramada has great water attractions as well and the rooms are very nice but it is a little smaller if you are sitting around the pool and hanging out with a larger group.

We really enjoy going to the Dells and it takes us a little less time to get there but the cost is quite a bit more. I'm sure we will be back to the Adventureland!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Ashley S
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Ashley,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We appreciate your detailed account of our staff and of everything we offer. We apologize for the slippery zero depth pool entrance and are working with our Maintenance team to better this issue. We are delighted to hear your overall stay with us was one that would bring you back in the future. We look forward to seeing you and your family again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Altoona
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Best Western Plus Altoona Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Altoona - Des Moines
Prairie Meadows Hotel
Prairie Meadows Hotel
#2 of 11 in Altoona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altoona - Des Moines
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Altoona

Been to Adventureland Inn? Share your experiences!