We visit Adventureland every year and always stay at the Adventureland Inn. I have to admit we were a little disappointed this time. We have always been pleased with our stays at this hotel as it's close to the park with a complimentary shuttle, the rooms are decent, and customer service is good. There was something a little different this time, however. I will try to list the pros and cons.
First, our room was not ready until late in the afternoon. Not a problem since we were at the park most of the day. We were told it was not only because they had been booked full from the weekend but because they were short of help. When we did return to check in, we were assigned a room in the complete opposite direction of the lobby, clear across the hotel. We were given a map but no other directions as to the best way to reach it or even where to park to unload. The room had a funky smell so we quickly went back to request a different room and one on the second floor to avoid listening to little feet running above us. We were promptly reassigned to the same general area. Again, we were given a map but no directions for the easiest way to reach it nor where the closest elevator was. The front desk staff was not helpful or as friendly as they usually are. When we inquired about directions to the local Applebees (where we had eaten during a previous stay), the desk clerk had no idea where it was or how to get there though it was just a short drive away, near many other restaurants and a Wal-Mart.
The room itself is okay. It was clean and had a mini-fridge and coffee-maker. The shower had great pressure and felt good after a long day at the park. However, the toilet did not always want to flush. The beds and pillows were AWFUL. They were so uncomfortable and I slept terrible. I do not remember them being this bad before. There were no room darkening shades on the window and the bright sunlight hindered any chance of sleeping in. There was also no channel guide in the room. Not being from the Des Moines area, we had no idea what the channels were and had to surf them all to find something. I called the front desk to inquire about one and was told I could pick one up there. Really? A poorly xeroxed copy of a channel guide couldn't be kept in the room for the guests' convenience? The room prices are a bit steep for what you get but I know you are paying for convenience and location.
The pools and swim up bar are nice though very crowded. At one point there were so many bodies in the water, it looked like the scene from Titanic when the ship finally sank. My children had no place to actually swim and got jumped on and kicked. Jenevieve from the bar was very nice and helpful. Towels are provided which is another nice and appreciated amenity.
Because of our troubles, we were comped a breakfast buffet one morning. I am so glad we did not pay for this. I am sorry to the staff that prepares this but it was awful!!! The fresh fruit was delicious and the hash browns had a nice flavor but very limited variety of anything else. The eggs and pancakes were even bad, rubbery. We did not eat at any of the other restaurants because they were not good in the past and the prices too high. We rarely saw other patrons there as well. My recommendation is to really work on the quality of food to keep the guests there in the hotel. Great convenience for the guests and revenue for the hotel, win-win. I personally hate leaving for dinner but will not waste that amount of money on poor quality food since we do that all day at the park.
Overall this is an acceptable place to stay. We love the trolley, the pool and bar are nice, and the rooms provide what you need. I am sure we will stay there again next year but would love to see a few little improvements.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Adventureland Inn! At Adventureland Inn you will find 185 guest rooms with over 15,000 square feet of flexible meeting space! Adventureland Inn is a full service hotel with two restaurants on site, as well as room service. Our indoor pool areas and courtyards are among the finest in the area, with three pools featuring the only swim-up bar in the Midwest! We are located right next to Iowa's largest attraction, Adventureland and also next to Iowa’s largest casino, Prairie Meadows! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Adventureland Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Adventureland Des Moines
- Adventureland Hotel Altoona
- Adventureland Inn Des Moines
- Adventure Land Inn
- Adventureland Inn Altoona, Iowa