“Fine Steak”

Ranked #3 of 50 Restaurants in Altoona
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

A small restaurant specializing in fine steaks. Locally owned and operated by Randy Fix. Located right next to Prairie Meadows with easy access to I 80.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

When we first moved to the area and saw the big steer with the marquee on its side we laughed and thought what kind of place is this! When we tried it we were hooked. I always always get the ribeye and its wonderful. The prime rib is good and so are the ribs. I have to get the house dressing because it is like magic dressing or something. It has a taste that is awesome. We have bought some dressing to take home too and while good, something they do at the restaurant makes it taste out of this world. I have in the past gotten a double salad and then ate some of my hubby's steak.
I have noticed that the last few times we have gone there the staff has changed a little and the taste is a bit different. That is why I gave a very good and not excellent. It is still very tasty and the bread they give you is wonderful. But something is off. I would keep going there though. Although pricey, its expected its a steak house. Just not in my budget to go on a regular basis.
Best steak in Des Moines and the surrounding area......we are from Chicago and they are known for steaks and The Big Steer is right up there with the best!

2  Thank tessie k
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I am the first to admit that I'm very particular when it comes to a good steak. I had the filet and lobster this weekend and it was literally the BEST meal I have ever had. My filet was cooked rare, just as I asked and just melted in my mouth.
I love that the restaurant isn't anything fancy. The lights are low and it probably hasn't been redecorated since it opened.
I have visited this restaurant several time and definitely plan a return when I'm in the area.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Looking for a god place to eat while on holiday we were passing The Big Steer and thought this looked like a good choice. They had a special 10oz ribeye for $17.99 which I had and the other person ordered the 10o prime rib $20.99 which they said they were known for. I was hoping not to be so full so I could have the Heath bar creme brûlée but unfortunately I wasn't able to try that!!!! But doesn't it sound so yummy! The meat ordered and delivered at medium rare. Both cooked perfect. The best French onion soup I've had on years! The tourists and locals both gathered. A family celebrating a birthday was there too. Worth the trip good price for a great steak house, not cheap but what you should expect. If you're in the area it's worth the drive, across from the race track, casino, & just down from Adventurland.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Best steak ever and their house dressing is the best. I usually buy a pint to take home! The service is always excellent

Been to Big Steer Restaurant & Lounge? Share your experiences!