“An Experience Not To Miss.”

Max's Highway Diner Bosselman's
Ranked #28 of 49 Restaurants in Altoona
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bellevue, Iowa
“An Experience Not To Miss.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is an amazing establishment. Excellent food, great service, and atmosphere is very pleasing. A trip to the Des Moines area would not be complete without stopping here.

Visited August 2013

Kansas City, Missouri
“Name has changed, but still the great truck stop comfort food”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Passing through and was surprised to see that Grandma Max's was replaced with Max's Diner. But not to fear, fellow weary travelers, it is still the same great comfort food!

Arrived right at 11:00 and the buffet was just being set up. Fried chicken, veggies, salad, the works. Please don't tell my mother-in-law, but Grandma Max's still makes the BEST fried chicken in the whole world. The Bossellman family figured it out and never changed perfection. I had six pieces of chicken, plus the mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, salad, etc.

And I was miserable (full) the rest of the afternoon as I drove down the highway smiling every mile. I only wish this restaurant was closer to home, but my cardiologist doesn't.

Service is typical truck stop, and the remodel is ok, all shiny and chrome. But this restaurant, it is the food that matters over all else, and it rocks!

• Visited June 2013
“Nice place”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I'm assuming this is now Max's diner ...its right next to truckstop and motel 6 ...we had breakfast and it was fast service and good food ...it was alittle more than I'm used to paying but I'm from a smaller town so probably same every where around that area...loved the decor as I'm a racing fan will stop again when back in area

• Visited May 2013
De Soto, Iowa
“Worst breakfast ever!!!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Long story short, terrible food, told waitress it was the worst breakfast I ever had and she didn't offer a solution. Overpriced and nasty!!!! Do yourself a favor and eat elsewhere!!!!!

• Visited February 2013
Ottumwa, Iowa
“Nice place to eat”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We ate breakfast here and we got our moneys worth and more. I didn't even eat all of my half order of biscuit and gravy. Fast service.

Visited April 2012