“BBQ That Exceeded Expectations!”

Claxon's Smokehouse & Grill
Ranked #10 of 50 Restaurants in Altoona
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Claxon's is right off I-80, so don't be mislead by the somewhat ambiguous AAA instructions. Look at the map on the Claxon's website. We stopped for a late lunch while driving across Iowa. Claxon's looks like a chain, but there is just one. We tried mixed platters, and thoroughly enjoyed "burnt tips" (brisket) pulled chicken, and ribs. The ribs were to my particular liking - tender chew off-the-bone type, with sauce on the side, and not fatty. We loved the okra cornbread!

1  Thank HenryW

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I have eaten at Claxon's probably a dozen times over many years. I always get the Rarebit, because a Rarebit love can't help oneself. I haven't been there in about 2 years, but if the rarebit is the same, than it is worth your rarebit dollar. This is different from the Younkers Tea Room sauce, this is smoky and "barbeque-y", and I think it is excellent. I always ask for extra sauce and dip the fat potato wedges in it. Service is always bad, it might have improved since then but I know every single time I went the service was slow and drinks hardly got refilled. So they get a 5 for their rarebit and a 2 for their service, so I gave them a 3. Sorry, I love BBQ but I can't speak to their BBQ one way or the other.

1  Thank TylerK84
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Had great service, lots of fun and great food sitting at the bar. Cole, the bartender did everything he could to make our visit to Claxon's enjoyable. Nothing was too much to ask for as long as my husband and I were happy. I had the prime rib philly which was awesome! Great bread, meat was tender and yummy! We also had onion rings as an appetizer... I could make myself sick eating these!!! My husband had the pulled pork nachos which were plentiful and delicious too... I snuck a few off his plate. :) They've got a lot of choices on the menu now! They are also using bread from South Union too, which I think ups the food from good to great alone!

1  Thank Loddii
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The Des Moines area has better options for BBQ. Several of us had ribs which were over done and sides were worse. The service was poor and we had to have the hostess get our server to take our order.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

We had ate here in the past when they were at their old location and did not care for the food...fast forward several years and a new location so we decided to give them another try. Still didn't care for the food. I got the pulled pork sandwich and it was mostly fat on a burnt bun. Service was ok and the place looks ok, now they just need to know how to make good BBQ.

Been to Claxon's Smokehouse & Grill? Share your experiences!