“A Great Casino and Racetrack” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prairie Meadows

Prairie Meadows
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: Prairie Meadows is the premier destination for gaming and entertainment in the Midwest. With more than 85,000 square feet of casino action, we have every game you'll want to play this side of Vegas. Whether you enjoy the latest slot machine or your favorite table games, Prairie Meadows has everything you need to get your game on. Win place or show,there's nothing like the heart-pounding thrill of live racing on our one-mile racetrack. Join us for live Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse racing every April - October. It's pure excitement start to finish. Casino action, live horse racing, a variety of dining options and great entertainment are waiting for you at Prairie Meadows.
Waukee, Iowa
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Great Casino and Racetrack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I love Prairie Meadows, especially when the horses run. Our grandkids when they come to town love to go see. My husband and I like Sr. Breakfast day then we go up to play for a few hours. My second favorie casino in the state. it's just about 20 miles from where I live. I always get a tad back, so I never feel cheated.

Visited June 2013

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Enjoy the live racing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stop by the race track anytime we are in town and the horses are running. It’s a great time for the whole family. Kids can get really close to the trackside and watch the horses run.

The new hotel is a very nice addition, a bit overpriced in my opinion, but none the less very nice!

The casino has a variety of games, with multiple denomination slots. I seem to have pretty good luck at the slots. I have not played in the poker rooms, but poker is available. In addition to the live horse racing (certain nights) they also have simulcast for other tracks. When the racing is live, I have always felt there was enough windows to get a bet in before the race started.

It’s a very good time!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank iowaguntrader
Willowbrook, Illinois, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Lots of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

First time visiting for live horse racing. Lets of fun to watch the horses before, after and during the races.

Visited August 2012
Milwaukee
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Nice casino.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The casino is shaped in a square and has alot of different areas. Some were older and smokier and the newer area was nice and not very smokey. The machines were a bit tight, but a nice variety of the newer machines. The horse track is attaced to the casino so you can gamble while waiting in between the races.

Visited June 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Rude, overpriced, terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

From out of state, been to a lot of casinos, including ones in Vegas, never been treated as badly as at Prairie Meadows. It was as if we were the scum of the earth. All we wanted was to spend a little money, instead we were yelled at for standing to close to a table being counted out, for walking through the pits (which were empty and in front of the restrooms), and overcharged for beer all in the span of 10 minutes. We left quickly, want some advice save a little extra cash and go to Las Vegas!!!

Visited July 2013