“Poor payout on slots”
Review of Prairie Meadows

Prairie Meadows
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: Prairie Meadows is the premier destination for gaming and entertainment in the Midwest. With more than 85,000 square feet of casino action, we have every game you'll want to play this side of Vegas. Whether you enjoy the latest slot machine or your favorite table games, Prairie Meadows has everything you need to get your game on. Win place or show,there's nothing like the heart-pounding thrill of live racing on our one-mile racetrack. Join us for live Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse racing every April - October. It's pure excitement start to finish. Casino action, live horse racing, a variety of dining options and great entertainment are waiting for you at Prairie Meadows.
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the hotel here, and it was excellent. The casino visit was not so much. The slots were not paying out when we were there, and it was rather smokey. We have played here before, when traveling through, and have never had any luck on the slots. If not for the excellent hotel, we would not visit this casino again.

8  Thank MohicanTraveler2

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I used to visit this casino regularly 4 or so years ago and occasionally win. Winning is no more. They have replaced all the machines that would occasionally pay out with lame penny slots. I finally found 2 machines a month ago that you actually had a decent chance to win on, and they already got rid of those machines. The entire casino is inundated with difficult to understand penny slots everywhere, and in my opinion it is now very difficult to ever have a winning trip if you are a slot player. The slots seem to be their "cash cow" and so they only open a few of the gaming tables and keep people standing off to the side waiting for a seat because they know the odds are better for you if you play a table game. It really is sad because I used to really enjoy this casino and would win money about 1/3 to 1/4 of the time, but in the last 3 or 4 years, I have maybe won $100 or so twice, and that is having taken trips approximately 20 times per year. I used to spend so much money at Prarie Meadows, but I will no longer spend a dime there and I strongly recommend you do not either as they will be forced to get better-paying slots if we stop throwing our money at them. They also changed their machines from Pepsi to Coke which offers less variety. They refuse to check anything but a coat, so don't get dropped off with anything other than your coat or you will be carrying it around with you.

6  Thank hollywoodhorror
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Very nice place to stay like that it is connected to casino that way can have drinks enjoy ourselfs and not have to go out in the cold Rooms were well kept and clean so will stay there again

1  Thank Roger B
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The casino is ok. Kinda on the small side and the pay out is so, so. I think the race track is nice, just not my thing. Everything is always clean. I hear the new hotel is nice, but I haven't been yet.

1  Thank 26lovetotravel26
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Wasn't impressed with the table games, nothing special here. Poker room up on top level is cool, kinda tight and contained (more like a long bar than a square room), but they do have bar service right there and the regular folks that frequent this place are super nice.

Not into slots, but if you are there are a ton of them, multiple levels.

2  Thank bruce p