Prairie Meadows Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I travelled to Ankeny for a birthday party. We decided to stop here for a little gambling. There was some entertainment in the form of a band playing by the large windows overlooking the track. They were pretty good so we decided to stay and watch them. Since it was late we called over to the hotel to see about getting a room, they had two left so we took the room with two queen beds handicap accessible. The hotel lobby was very nice with a contemporary decor. We were on the fourth floor and there was zero noise from the casino. You also had to use your room card to access the hotel floors which is a nice safety feature. Our room was very large, though I'm not sure they are all this large since ours was a handicap room. Nicely decorated in calming colors and a contemporary theme to match the lobby. The bed was super comfortable as were the abundance of pillows. I didn't bring a suit but would have loved to have tried out the saltwater pool as it looked very nice. We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ajaffe

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Nicely appointed rooms although I would have expected for a new build the bathrooms would have been larger, as would the sleeping rooms for a casino environment. The furniture ad appointments in the room are very nice, but the room feels a little cramped. Ok check in service but nothing extraordinary.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank shakey26
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I often end up being booked to do an educational meeting in a casino. My general impression has been that casinos are gilt paint on top of cheap constructions. Not so with this one. It is a very nice operation. The rooms are well maintained, clean and good quality furnishings. The building and grounds are well-groomed and attractive.

The tv selection was good...often casino hotels offer a boring minimum selection...guess why?

The restaurant is good; nothing creative, but well prepared steaks, salads, deserts. I thought the NY Strip was very tasty, and the chocolate cake ("Fantasy"?) was better than most.

The minor downside was it has a huge asphalt parking lot in order to accommodate the horse track attached to the casino. Going for a walk was a bit stark.

Temperature control was sluggish. The shower temp was ok, but I had it maxed out; I'd have liked the option of making it a touch warmer...too "safe" a temp limit.

The gaming area was your usual fare. I don't care for gambling, so am not a good judge of that side. Noisy, smoky and dazzling.

Overall, a good hotel. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank knygard
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at Prairie Meadows to attend meetings. It was our first time there. We had a standard king room which was plenty of room. The digital clock was not working in our room so I mentioned it to the front desk. By the time I got back to the room, they were there to replace it. We were going to gamble some in the casino but the smoke was so bad our eyes were watering. The 'non-smoking section of the casino in in the middle of the smoking section. We stayed in the casino less than 30 minutes. The Sunday buffet was good and reasonably priced. It was also busy as it appeared many families stopped there for the buffet.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FLHTCI
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had traveled to Altoona, IA for a friends wedding. While I lived 2 hours away I did not want to travel back late at night so I opted to stay in a hotel. Being I have traveled to Des Moines before I was looking for a place that was safe, clean, and affordable. The hotel where the wedding was at Adventureland Inn didn't smell that great and the price was soo high. I looked at other places I had stayed at before and knew non of them were all that cheap and some not even safe.
I had my doubts about staying at Prairie Meadows since it is connected to a casino but that changed after I read reviews. All the great reviews are true it is a wonderful hotel. Seperate enterance from the casino and wonderful lobby. The hotel was super easy to see from the highway that I fould it easily and easy to get too. I booked online through their website and got an extra $10 because of an easter special that no other booking site offered (not offered on orbitz, priceline..)

Everyone working was friendly and you needed your room key to access the elevator to you room so unless its someone staying in the hotel they couldn't just wander around.
The room itself was soo clean and looked great. I was suprised that the room had a mini fridge and the wireless internet actually worked super well.
This is my new favorite hotel and one I will stay in when traveling to Des Moines.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our third stay even though we live less that 30 miles away. They have a great package for dining and room. So you get a terrific room, staff who are very courteous, good food.and no worries about having to drive home. The hotel is new and nice. The views are not great, but the price is right and the quality is great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis J
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently stayed here for a conference and loved the place. The hotel is very inviting and clean, the rooms were beautiful and spacious. Each room has a fridge and Keurig coffee maker. The first night we ate at the buffet, which was actually pretty good considering we didn't eat until 8:30 at night.
I was very impressed with the banquet staff and how quickly and efficently they were able to serve around 300 people at our conference.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for leisure or business.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business