“Loved the Jr. King Suite!”

Prairie Meadows Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed one night on our way back to MN from Branson. Primarily because the husband likes craps (no craps in MN) and I like the slots. Front desk was friendly and check in and out quick. Nice big suite with separate living room area, two TV's, coffee pot, refrig, sink and neat doors. (Wondering if they are to resemble the big doors for horse stalls?)
Wifi was free and easy to log onto and was quick. Liked the amenities in the bathroom and the overall layout of the room. Good lighting and felt safe with having to use your room key to get the elevator to move.
Timed our trip back to MN and was under 3 hours and are looking at events in the area to visit again, we really liked the room and the casino!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Minnes0taSue

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was stuck in Des Moines for two nights because of a snowstorm, and decided to try the new Prairie Meadows hotel, which is part of a very large casino and horse track. When I entered, I noticed the two fireplaces which felt very warm and welcoming on a very cold and snowy day. The front desk attendant was quick and helpful. I received room #217, which did not have much of a view, but I could see the snow falling. The room was large, new, very clean, comfortable bed and easy chair, desk and a large tv. The bathroom and shower were large and decorated trendy. They had Keurig coffee makers in each room with Wolfgang Puck coffee, very nice touch. I realized the casino is on the 2nd floor also, so I just had to walk down the hall to go have some fun. You have to use your key, to enter any hotel door or elevator, so it felt very secure. The lobby has a really nice bar and Starbucks, and their is 4 other really nice places to eat, which I will review under restaurants. I will definitely return to this hotel, and I was more than happy to be stuck here during a snowstorm!!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are on the same floor as the casino!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank adolson
Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you're thinking you'll have to walk through a lobby filled with slot machines to get to your room, think again. The hotel entrance is separate from the casino entrance. The lobby is quiet and well appointed. There is also a quiet bar there. The room was large. The Wi-Fi was free and worked well. Lighting was extraordinarily good. The bathroom was large and the shower commodious. Amenities were limited to a few shower items but no shower cap. Towels were lush. The in-room coffee was the kind in the little cup that you puncture and brew but our coffee machine was not working so we supplemented with Starbucks from the lobby. The desk clerk said that they would have replace the pot if we had called but that begs the point that it was a time of getting ready and would not have worked well. No offer of a discount for the price of the Starbucks was made! Although near I-80, the building is sufficiently remote so that there is no problem with road noise.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mjrg59
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel, as it was a halfway point for us in our travels. The desk clerk, Stephen, was very friendly & helpful. The king size suite was very clean and spacious, as was the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. It was very quiet for a casino hotel. The casino also parted us from our $$ pretty quickly.(as another reviewer also stated) We would stay again though, due to the friendly staff and excellent rooms!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I recently traveled to DSM (my home town) to celebrate my bridal shower and bachelorette party there with close friends and family. The minute we had checked into the hotel, staff & casino security were very very rude! As we went down to AJs to have a very nice dinner for 25, and gambled a bit I felt like they were watching every move the group were making. Once we left to hit the town for a bit, some family who stayed back to play over heard them talk about us! Nothing nice was said. When we came back, some friends and I were heading to the casino, which i just wanted to grab some food...I was told I was "Done" I did absoulutly NOTHING for him to assume I was intoxicated. I was very upset bringing family & friends whom traveled far to help me celebrate. I am big on customer service, which this was a big fail! I will not recommend nor go there again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TyAnn W
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

King room was upgraded to a suite at no charge! What a nice surprise! When we got home my wife noticed that she left a jacket in the room. I called them and after 5 minutes they called back and said they found it and offered to mail it to us at no charge! Very classy! Thanks for a great evening!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in October for a trade show. The room was lovely, quiet and clean, with a large flatscreen tv. The staff was pleasant and it was a short walk indoors to the trade show. The casino parted me from my $$ too quickly, but it is not the hotel's fault. What a delightful change from the Adventureland Hotel where we've been put up for this trade show previously. The buffet was surprisingly good with lots of selections. Do not hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business