“Not so great this time.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jethro n' Jake's Smokehouse Steaks

Jethro n' Jake's Smokehouse Steaks
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Altoona
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Marion, Iowa
“Not so great this time.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here before and found it to be pretty good. This time was somewhat disappointed. I had the nachos with chicken. The guacamole and pico were good but the rest was pretty much flavorless where it wasn't. The chicken was totally bland. I couldn't really add BBQ very well b/c it was under chips. The cheese was also mild/bland. Could have used some zip to it. The Caribbean crawfish drink was good. They do have nice selection for different drinks. Service was friendly and appropriate. Very busy for a Monday night and almost every car in the lot had out of town plates. If I go back again next time I am in the area, would go back for BBQ only.

• Visited June 2013

Iowa
“The Go-to place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great service, clean, great food, leftovers, had our usually the 1st day, then something different the 2nd day and were equally as pleased. Take a light jacket in, it is cold inside.

• Visited June 2013
Quad Cities USA
“Ellie May like it, but me? Not so much ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Heard and read lots of positive about this place, so perhaps we caught 'em on an off day. But the pulled pork I ordered was stringy and dry. On a positive note, the loaded nachos are awesome (lots of pork and cheese) and the wings are pretty good. Others declared their meals good, so I guess I chose poorly. Atmosphere is nothing special. Prices seemed a little high. I'll try it again because I really like BBQ; but you know what they say ... fool me twice ...

• Visited May 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've visited this restaurant two times. It was real busy both times the tables are really close together. So if you aren't comfortable being crowded don't come here. There are tv's showing games and music playing so you can not hear the people you are with. The food is good though. I like the pulled pork. The meat is pretty plain but they have a variety of sauces on the table to add and the portions are really big. Try the macaroni and cheese I liked that. The onion rings are served in huge portions. I liked the pulled pork sandwich.

• Visited May 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Best selection of BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having lived in Kansas City and traveled frequently in the South, I'm picky about my BBQ. Jethro's has a wide variety of rubs and I have found my new BBQ home in Iowa. Don't miss their wings specials on Tues and Thurs - a great deal!

• Visited April 2013