“Good food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jethro n' Jake's Smokehouse Steaks

Jethro n' Jake's Smokehouse Steaks
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Altoona
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've visited this restaurant two times. It was real busy both times the tables are really close together. So if you aren't comfortable being crowded don't come here. There are tv's showing games and music playing so you can not hear the people you are with. The food is good though. I like the pulled pork. The meat is pretty plain but they have a variety of sauces on the table to add and the portions are really big. Try the macaroni and cheese I liked that. The onion rings are served in huge portions. I liked the pulled pork sandwich.

• Visited May 2013

Des Moines, Iowa
“Best selection of BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having lived in Kansas City and traveled frequently in the South, I'm picky about my BBQ. Jethro's has a wide variety of rubs and I have found my new BBQ home in Iowa. Don't miss their wings specials on Tues and Thurs - a great deal!

• Visited April 2013
Atlanta, GA
“Excellent food and great prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I am a bbq snob and had low expectation for this place. I was very impressed. The bbq was excellent as were the side items. Service was outstanding, portions were enormous and prices reasonable. What more could you want!

Visited March 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Pros: attentive and fast waitress, generous portions of food, good value for the money, plenty of parking

Cons: very average food, nothing special, tho tasty; noisy sports bar atmosphere, too many TVs for my taste, a lot of very large people

Hudson, IA
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had heard alot about Jethro's and decided to try it on my recent trip to Des Moines. We had a group of 6 and when we walked in the place was packed, but we were seated immediately. Our server was friendly and took good care of all of us. They have several different sauces, so if you go make sure you try them to see which one you really like. The food was good and plentiful, I couldn't finish all of mine and ended taking half back to the hotel with me. I would definitly recommend this place and will visit again.

Visited March 2013