“Unreal.”
Review of Super 8 Altoona

Super 8 Altoona
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

For the price of the rooms you expect something better. The ice machine is broken, no hot tub, the pool is dirty, hallways feel like your going to fall through. This place is nasty and I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank RoxanneLynn
Erin L, General Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. Unfortunately, the hot tub was removed March 13 and we have had all the online info regarding a hot tub removed. The staff are trying to make sure all guests are informed of this when taking reservations. I apologize if you did not receive this information. I train my staff to make sure our rooms, though worn, are as clean as possible. I would like to earn your trust and your business back. If you could give me a call at the hotel directly, I would love to fix this for you. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Erin Lawless, General Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Settle Inn July 10-12, 2014. The only room left was a smoking room. Upon check in we asked if there were any non-smoking rooms to which the clerk said no "we are booked solid all weekend." We stayed in room 316, as soon as we entered the room it smelled as you could imagine, the smell was overpowering. If you are a smoker I'm sure it is just fine. Don't think you can just tough it out for the night. By far the worst over night experience I have ever had in a hotel room.

After the 1st night the odor was so bad, our luggage and clothing smelled like we were at a dive bar. We went to the front desk and asked if there was anything they could do. The clerk said "I can put you in a non-smoking room". When I told her that we were advised those rooms were booked she stated "no we have a few available" and no there were no cancellations.

The clerk then put us in room 310 the room has a musky - dirty smell. To be honest this room was just as bad. Even the smoking room was some what clean. There were dead bugs and dirt in the AC unit vent! There were stains all over the carpet and bathroom. The hallway also smells like cigarette smoke. To top it off the ice machine was broken.

Spend the extra few $ and stay at quality hotel that takes cleanliness seriously!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Indy251

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. As I told you directly, unfortunately when you booked your room via Expedia, you did book a smoking room, which is all we had left the week you booked. If we would have had a non-smoking room available, it would have been offered to you. We try to make our guests as comfortable as possible and I apologize that you weren't.

Erin Lawless, General Manager

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Hello! My husband and I wanted a weekend getaway. First problem was we booked a non-smoking room and was asked to sign a paper stating we would not smoke or have pets. As we got to our room, we notices ash trays and it smelled musty, & like old cigarette smoke. Upon calling the front desk, were told there is nothing else available. & that when we left they would run an "air machine to get rid of the smell" we left and came back to the same smell. Then they advertise free cable & hbo-HBO did not come in & when I called they said that they could be doi g maintenemce on the cable!? & that they do that from 11-7 sometimes. Coincidently that is when the manager is off work. (7am) odd. When we noticed there was still no hbo at 9am, the lady said its the cable companies prob. & I also complained about the bed which was uncomfortable and also on the verge of falling apart literally had cracks in all the sides, & was really sqeaky. The breakfast was pretty lame too. And the front desk clerk in the morning said basically m sorry can't do anything bcz my manager just went to bed and works 11pm-7am. How convienent & what terrible customer service.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Samantha O
Erin L, General Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Please accept my apologies for your less than stellar stay! I saw that you had booked your own reservation through the Settle Inn website. The description (which I am cutting and pasting directly from the website) states: 1 King Presidental Bedroom Themed Whirlpool
Presidential. Abraham Lincoln era room. 1 King size bed, 2 person in room whirlpool tub, wireless high speed internet, dataport, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, mini-refrig, microwave, separate bath and shower, 32 inch remote control TV with cable and HBO. No pets and no children allowed in this room. SMOKING ROOM. (SIC capital letters). A 100.00 deposit is required at checkin. ONLY CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED for themed rooms.

While the guest services team are being retrained to verify the room types on arrival and to cross out the pre-preprinted "I understand that a $100 per day cleaning charge for smoking in a non-smoking room.." line on our registration cards, the principal staff members have worked there for between 3-7 years so it may take more time. (I took over as GM on May 14, 2014).

I actually spoke to you after 11 pm, regarding HBO. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of Mediacom-they are the only cable provider in the area. I have managed or worked at 8 hotels in Polk County, IA and each one has this problem with Mediacom on a regular basis. We even have stayed at three hotels in Coralville, IA

Even though I have been working Saturday and Sunday overnights training a new staff member, I am available til noon the morning after for guest problems. Unfortunately this weekend, I was out of town-immediate family member's funeral- and just returned Tuesday at 3 pm. I do hope you will forgive me for that.

I hope you will try us again so that we may exceed your expectations! Please call me directly for a discounted rate. Thank you for taking the time to post your review as we do value all comments!

Erin L. (GM)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We travel regularly and try to find mid range price hotels.
We came from Texas to take our d a daughter and son in law and 4 kids to adventure land
First night there we're bad storms. The staff made sure we were all safe and knew the place to go.
The manager and staff are some of the best we have ever felt with.
The rooms spacious clean and quit.
Will be back again when we are in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank reedcb
Erin L, General Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Thanks so very much for taking the time to write a review! We are so happy
you had a great stay and felt safe and comfortable. My staff and I are really
working hard to make the improvements we can and provide better service.
We so appreciate the feedback! Erin, GM

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I was looking for an inexpensive, but clean place to stay. While the price was right, the cleanliness was not. Hotel is very run down and dingy looking. The bathtub was dirty and stained. I feel like I could have got a better room for the price. The hotel lobby reeked of pesticide.
On the plus side the beds were comfortable and the sheets were white and clean. They gave us only two towels for four people, but gave us more when we asked. The complimentary breakfast was decent.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Erin L, General Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Although I did not take over as General Manager until 5-13-14, I am truly sorry that your stay with us was sub standard. We do appreciate your comments and the detail that show were we need to pay closer attention to detail and that was taken up with all of our staff.
I do wish we could meet your expectations with a future visit to our hotel! Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

planned to stay 2 nites. Checked immediately upon checkin for bedbugs and did not find any or signs of but felt like I was getting bit in the middle if the night anditching. Pulled bavk comforter in the morning and one was crawling on the bed. Caught it with the sticky part if a bandaid took it down to front desk and the clerk had the audacity to insinuate that WE brought them, even though she said Orkin guy had been there just last week. They comped my one nite and said theyd move me down the hall! Uh NO!! The hallway floor also felt like it was going to fall in. Beds uncomfortable, rooms outdated, furniture filthy.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank marythemom53
Loretta L, Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

We here at Settle Inn Altoona take all insect issues serious. We get them brought in from nature. We always check the room out three times after an issue has been brought to our attention. First the manager and head housekeeper check the room, with tearing the bed completely apart and check all areas bugs can hide, that investigation showed nothing. Then the maintenance department goes through the room, also found nothing. Then we always have our pest control company go through the room as per their standards, they also found nothing to treat.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We have stayed at the Settle Inn before. We stayed in the Vineyards King Whirlpool Suite Saturday evening. The price was wonderful. The room was elegant. The bed was very soft and comfortable The room was perfectly WARM!The staff is very nice. Everything is very clean with the exception of the Fake grapes hanging on the walls...they were quite dusty. The Jacuzzi tub felt great after being out in the winter weather. Very close to Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino. We were awakened at 5:30 am, however, as the the room next door decided to fill and use the Jacuzzi. They are very noisy! Could use some sound insulation between the walls of the tubs.The breakfast is ok. Sausage Gravy,waffles,cereal, yogurt,, toast, bagels, muffins. We will be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa E
Loretta L, Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you Melissa for taking time out of your day to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. We are going into a renovation stage pretty soon, I will let them know of your suggestion about the whirlpool rooms. Hope to see you soon.