“Getting tired”
Review of Super 8 Altoona

Super 8 Altoona
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this location 3 or 4 times. Breakfast provided helps me to get on the road in good order. Each time gets worse I stay as their seems to be no maintenance. Broken lamp shades, for example. VERY reasonable price, however.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Loretta L, Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for writing a review on us. We would like to get your concerns with our rooms corrected. Please call me at 515-967-7888 so we can go over the rooms you have had, and the exact issue with each room. We need your input so we can get our housekeepers trained to do a better job at spotting these maintenance issues. Your input is very valuable on the continuing operations of our hotel.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay. After searching all over the internet for somewhere close to Adventureland, we found Settle Inn. We were VERY impressed by the pictures and the price was cheaper than most around there so I did a 14 day advance reservation to get around $20 off of each night. It ended up being very affordable. Upon arrival we gave the clerk our confirmation number and were checked in VERY quickly. When we got to our room, we were very impressed once again, it was clean, well stocked with linens, etc. Best of all it was very quiet, and there were children right next door to us and we only heard them in the hallway. The pool was nice, not huge, but war, not freezing and the hot tub was absolutely amazing, even equiped with handicap lifts for both . The only negative either one of us could find was there wan't a fridge in our room. BIG DEAL! We had our cooler and that was plenty. The entire staff was super friendly, the housekeeper who saw us the morning before remembered us when we were in the lobby. parking lot was very well lit. We will be going back again, only this time I think we will get a suite! We very much reccomend this hotel!

Room Tip: If able, do your homework and you may be able to get a room that has a fridge
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Loretta L, Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your review. We will be getting new furniture in the near future. We should be getting refrigerators and microwaves during phase two of our updating mission. Please call when you will be in the area we would love to serve you again.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed there when we went to adventureland. The location was nice and close to the amusement park. The kids loved the castle theme outside of the hotel and were treated really well by staff. The breakfast was good. The room smelled a little funny, but other than that it was great. Also, there wasn't a fridge in the room, but since we only stayed one night it wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We have started updating rooms, yet we started with TV's and getting HD ready. Once that project is complete then phase two is furniture which will include microwaves and refrigerators. Please call us when any travels bring you our way.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

we were directed to this hotel from the casino across the street. we walked in and while we had to wait for assistance as the girl was on the phone with other customers, she was very friendly and helpful and accommodating as we didn't have a reservation. the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. and priced very reasonable!! the casino and horse track are across the street and Adventureland was close too!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review. The casino and us always try to help each other out. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please look us up when your future travels bring you to the Des Moines/Altoona Iowa area.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped at the Settle Inn while passing through heading west. Nice clean room, and very quiet. Breakfast selection was decent and the staff were friendly. The parking lot was lit like the sun at night which I liked since we had a lot of stuff in the car.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for finding us, and taking time to write this review. We are here to fulfill your housing needs when you are in our area. Give us a call the next time your travels bring you our way.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel was full except for the jungle room. It was fun. The bed was great. The room decor was interesting and it had a jacuzzi. It was worth the money. The front desk people were a little scary but overall it was fine.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a review. The Themed rooms are our trade mark, as is the Castle building. We have on going training with the desk staff to improve customer service skills. Please let us know when you will be in the area, we can take care of your needs. Please let us know if the training has helped the clerk you had contact with on your last stay.,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We found a room here when most other hotels were filled for the day we needed. We have stayed at the Settle Inns in Omaha, Lincoln, and Bellevue, and have always been happy with them. I knew they were full, but when we arrived at about 11:00 AM, it was raining very hard. Instead of going to the water park at Adventureland, we decided to stop by the hotel to wait out the storm. When I entered, explained that I had a reservation, and asked if it was possible that a room would be available, they laughed at me. By "they," I mean the front desk lady and several other staff that were standing around. They could not tell me how long it would be and simply told me that I could call back. I get it that check in time is later, but usually we can get a room earlier. I also thought that maybe it was just the current staff was not a people person, not very tactful.

When we came back later that day, I asked for a room upstairs. The new lady told me in a gruff voice that they were full and there was no way that they could do this, except for the fact that we were already booked with an upstairs room. Again, it just seemed like someone with customer service skills could have worded that in a different way to make me feel like they are working with me. Maybe my expectations of people are too high.

Despite the grumpy staff, it is a great location if visiting Adventureland! The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We were about two rooms downs from the elevator, but never heard it. In fact, unlike any place I have ever been, we did not hear anyone at night. I actually slept quite well. Oh yeah, while in the hallway, I could hear a dog barking. I never heard him from my room though.

The free breakfast is above average. For the low rate, close to Adventureland, in a quiet hotel, I would probably put up with the grumpy staff and stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew J

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We have had some new training sessions with current and new staff based on your review. Hopefully our staff now knows how to be more personal with each guest. Please give us another try to find the new attitude of our staff.