Super 8 Altoona
$99
$96
Travelocity
Good 3.5/5
My Place Hotel-Altoona/Des Moines(Altoona)(Great Value!)
$99
$96
Travelocity
Excellent 5/5
All reviewscomfort innnice conditioncontinental breakfastdes moinesnice staynight's sleepbed was comfortablerace track and casinosnow stormneeded a place to stayearly checkcasino hotelbiscuits and gravywould stay here againthe breakfast areaindoor poolwe've stayed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2013

we were directed to this hotel from the casino across the street. we walked in and while we had to wait for assistance as the girl was on the phone with other customers, she was very friendly and helpful and accommodating as we didn't have a reservation. the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. and priced very reasonable!! the casino and horse track are across the street and Adventureland was close too!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Loretta L, Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for writing a review. The casino and us always try to help each other out. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please look us up when your future travels bring you to the Des Moines/Altoona Iowa area.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped at the Settle Inn while passing through heading west. Nice clean room, and very quiet. Breakfast selection was decent and the staff were friendly. The parking lot was lit like the sun at night which I liked since we had a lot of stuff in the car.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for finding us, and taking time to write this review. We are here to fulfill your housing needs when you are in our area. Give us a call the next time your travels bring you our way.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel was full except for the jungle room. It was fun. The bed was great. The room decor was interesting and it had a jacuzzi. It was worth the money. The front desk people were a little scary but overall it was fine.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a review. The Themed rooms are our trade mark, as is the Castle building. We have on going training with the desk staff to improve customer service skills. Please let us know when you will be in the area, we can take care of your needs. Please let us know if the training has helped the clerk you had contact with on your last stay.,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We found a room here when most other hotels were filled for the day we needed. We have stayed at the Settle Inns in Omaha, Lincoln, and Bellevue, and have always been happy with them. I knew they were full, but when we arrived at about 11:00 AM, it was raining very hard. Instead of going to the water park at Adventureland, we decided to stop by the hotel to wait out the storm. When I entered, explained that I had a reservation, and asked if it was possible that a room would be available, they laughed at me. By "they," I mean the front desk lady and several other staff that were standing around. They could not tell me how long it would be and simply told me that I could call back. I get it that check in time is later, but usually we can get a room earlier. I also thought that maybe it was just the current staff was not a people person, not very tactful.

When we came back later that day, I asked for a room upstairs. The new lady told me in a gruff voice that they were full and there was no way that they could do this, except for the fact that we were already booked with an upstairs room. Again, it just seemed like someone with customer service skills could have worded that in a different way to make me feel like they are working with me. Maybe my expectations of people are too high.

Despite the grumpy staff, it is a great location if visiting Adventureland! The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We were about two rooms downs from the elevator, but never heard it. In fact, unlike any place I have ever been, we did not hear anyone at night. I actually slept quite well. Oh yeah, while in the hallway, I could hear a dog barking. I never heard him from my room though.

The free breakfast is above average. For the low rate, close to Adventureland, in a quiet hotel, I would probably put up with the grumpy staff and stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew J

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We have had some new training sessions with current and new staff based on your review. Hopefully our staff now knows how to be more personal with each guest. Please give us another try to find the new attitude of our staff.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were very pleased with our 2night stay in early June. staff was very friendly and rooms were clean. We will defiantly look to stay here again. close to the race track and casino. The BBQ joint just west of the hotel is worth trying.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay. We have also been enjoying Jethro's, very good BBQ joint. We are here to serve you at our hotel, please let us know of any upcoming trips that will bring you to our area, would love to see you again.