“Just Passing Through”
Review of Super 8 Altoona

Super 8 Altoona
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped at the Settle Inn while passing through heading west. Nice clean room, and very quiet. Breakfast selection was decent and the staff were friendly. The parking lot was lit like the sun at night which I liked since we had a lot of stuff in the car.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Loretta L, Manager at Super 8 Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for finding us, and taking time to write this review. We are here to fulfill your housing needs when you are in our area. Give us a call the next time your travels bring you our way.

There are newer reviews for Super 8 Altoona

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel was full except for the jungle room. It was fun. The bed was great. The room decor was interesting and it had a jacuzzi. It was worth the money. The front desk people were a little scary but overall it was fine.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a review. The Themed rooms are our trade mark, as is the Castle building. We have on going training with the desk staff to improve customer service skills. Please let us know when you will be in the area, we can take care of your needs. Please let us know if the training has helped the clerk you had contact with on your last stay.,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We found a room here when most other hotels were filled for the day we needed. We have stayed at the Settle Inns in Omaha, Lincoln, and Bellevue, and have always been happy with them. I knew they were full, but when we arrived at about 11:00 AM, it was raining very hard. Instead of going to the water park at Adventureland, we decided to stop by the hotel to wait out the storm. When I entered, explained that I had a reservation, and asked if it was possible that a room would be available, they laughed at me. By "they," I mean the front desk lady and several other staff that were standing around. They could not tell me how long it would be and simply told me that I could call back. I get it that check in time is later, but usually we can get a room earlier. I also thought that maybe it was just the current staff was not a people person, not very tactful.

When we came back later that day, I asked for a room upstairs. The new lady told me in a gruff voice that they were full and there was no way that they could do this, except for the fact that we were already booked with an upstairs room. Again, it just seemed like someone with customer service skills could have worded that in a different way to make me feel like they are working with me. Maybe my expectations of people are too high.

Despite the grumpy staff, it is a great location if visiting Adventureland! The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We were about two rooms downs from the elevator, but never heard it. In fact, unlike any place I have ever been, we did not hear anyone at night. I actually slept quite well. Oh yeah, while in the hallway, I could hear a dog barking. I never heard him from my room though.

The free breakfast is above average. For the low rate, close to Adventureland, in a quiet hotel, I would probably put up with the grumpy staff and stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew J

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We have had some new training sessions with current and new staff based on your review. Hopefully our staff now knows how to be more personal with each guest. Please give us another try to find the new attitude of our staff.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were very pleased with our 2night stay in early June. staff was very friendly and rooms were clean. We will defiantly look to stay here again. close to the race track and casino. The BBQ joint just west of the hotel is worth trying.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay. We have also been enjoying Jethro's, very good BBQ joint. We are here to serve you at our hotel, please let us know of any upcoming trips that will bring you to our area, would love to see you again.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was planning on staying at this establishment for my first night of a 3-day road trip from Colorado to DC. I chose Settle Inn because it was reasonably priced and "pet-friendly" according to their website (the phrase pet friendly is stated directly on the front page of their website). When I walked in the front door I was turned away because apparently "pet-friendly" means "no cats allowed."
Being turned away at the door after a 700 mile drive left me more than just pissed... I'm not sure if this stems from a miscommunication between their website developers and the management or if they're goal is to directly mislead their customers, but either way this is unacceptable!

I ended up down the road at a competing motel which treated me well and was cheaper.

I will not be doing any business in the future with this company due to their dishonesty.

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ryan M

Thank you for your review. We have only accepted dogs, so your input lead us to update our website description. When you complete the web process the "Pet Friendly" is explained in more detail, that detail is now on the first page of the website. I am truly sorry this caught you on such a long drive, I was happy to hear my neighbors could accommodate your pet.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I needed a place to stay close to our Immigration Interview in downtown Des Moines. We were traveling from Rockford, IL. (In the late March Snow Storm). We wanted a hotel with an in-room whirlpool. I searched many sites and did not find a single hotel in the area with an in-room whirlpool tub. When I stumbled across the Settle Inn, we got the in-room whirlpool, plus smoking room, breakfast, etc.,We were delighted! All past reviews were negative, so I was very leary. This Hotel was awesome! Everything worked just fine! We had a very relaxing night stay - the beds were great! If you are nonsmokers, please, all hotels don't offer smoking rooms, if you are non-smokers, pick the hotels up the road! and leave this hotel alone!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. As you have read we have been busy cleaning up our home a way from home so the bad reviews can be brought down to a manageable level. I love selling the whirlpool rooms to unexpected guests, these are our best rooms. Let us know when you will be back in our area, we have other whirlpool rooms with different themes that make the stay more fun.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had read the reviews here before and was scared. Thanks to Cindy, we were treated "like we were in her home". It is an older hotel but quite, clean and friendly. Would stay here again! Don't be afraid to take the chance to experience this hotel...it is worth it. Thanks staff!

Room Tip: Suite room was relaxing!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on us. We all are here ready and waiting for your next stay. Let us know when you will be in our area and we will take care of you each and every time you stay with us.