“Nice place to stay”

Best Western Plus Altoona Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Altoona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We got a decent rate booking ahead, and stayed for 3 days giving us an additional discount. Right on the backside of Adventureland, Close to many types of restaurants. A 10 minute drive to downtown Des Moines. Staff was helpful. Used the guest laundry. Pool was nothing great, but worked for the kids. Breakfast was pretty good for a hotel breakfast. Only real problem we had was with Wi-Fi, which was spotty and very slow.

Room Tip: We had a nice Double Queen deluxe room, which had a little more space than the regular rooms do. We...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
BWManagers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Altoona Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2014

Hi Dave/MissyVE,
I am so pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments on our hotel. We all love reading them. I do apologize for the issues with the WI FI. I hope you were able to use it or my staff was able to assist you with anything you needed. We look forward to seeing you and your family next time you are here in Altoona.
Thank you and have a wonderful day!!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

On a cross country road trip this summer. I recently stayed at the Best Western Plus in Altoona, Iowa for two nights. The room was over priced for what they gave me but the real problem at this property were the employees. I had a real issue with the housekeeping maid who thought it was her job to get you up and out as soon as possible.She would start banging on the door at 10am. She never heard of a late check out and was real nasty about it. It's not her place to question it or challenge me on it. I questioned the front desk clerk as to why it was such a problem for them and they acted as if they never heard of such an unreasonable request.

The room was dirty with all furniture surfaces having a coat of dust. The large headboard bolted to the wall had enough dust on it to trigger an asthma attack. The real problem I have here is that I didn't get the quality of a stay at a better Best Western property made worse by the hostile and unprofessional attitude of the employees. They are clearly very poorly trained and have a really bad attitude. It seemed that they couldn't care less about their customers.

Best Western clearly fails to deliver on their promise of quality if you stay at one of their upgraded properties at this motel. This is a motel that should be avoided unless of course you're a masachist and enjoy being insulted and offended by unprofessional clowns trying to figure out how to run a motel. The employees here haven't the slightest idea what customer service or satisfaction is.

There is no shortage of motels to choose from in this area. Take your business to a hotel or motel that will appreciate your business and treat you like a welcome guest instead of an unwelcome intruder on their property.

Room Tip: Go to a different motel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank vagabond777

Hello Vagabond777,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Please accept my apologies for the issues you had with your room and the employees during your stay. We do strive for excellent customer service here and I am sorry we didn't offer that to you. Please allow me to make this right. Call me directly anytime at the hotel. 515-967-2400.
Thank you again and have a wonderful day!!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stated this location for two nights well in the Des Moines area on business. The hotel is located across the street from Adventureland amusement park, and is not far off I – 80. Hotel staff was very friendly, and although the hotel is older, they have done remodeling. They have a small indoor pool and the morning breakfast had a nice presentation. Hotel is also less than a mile away from the Prairie Meadows Casino and Horse Track.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Tim B,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very pleased when we hear from our guests when they had a great experience. I am looking forward to seeing you next time you are in the area. Have a wonderful day!!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Everything at the hotel was fine except if you wanted the breakfast ,you needed to be down there quite early. They didn't refill the sausage gravy for the biscuits. The lady that was doing the breakfast acted like she didn't want to be there too much.

1  Thank jdredskin43

Jdredskin 43,

Thank you for your response here on Trip Advisor. I appreciate all my guests comments and concerns. I do want to apologize for the issues you encountered during breakfast. We want all our guests to be completely satisfied when leaving this hotel. I am sorry we didnt do that for you and your family. Please give me a call directly so I can do my best to make this right and we can earn your business again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. My kids enjoyed their breakfast at the hotel and had fun at the pool as well. The location is perfect for our trip to Adventureland Park. I would definitely stay here again the next time we visit Des Moines.

Kelley N,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on The Best Western PLUS Altoona Inn. I am pleased to hear you and your family had a wonderful experience here and the kids were able to enjoy the pool and breakfast as well. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area.
Have a wonderful day!!!

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Check in was a breeze...very helpful and pleasant staff. Rooms were clean and very quiet. Comfortable night's rest. Would stay again if we were passing through this way. Breakfast was good and well stocked.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
BWManagers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Altoona Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Sandyhoff91- Thank you for the awesome review on our hotel here at the Best Western PLUS. Excellent customer service is what we strive for here and I am so happy we were able to do that for you. The breakfast room gets pretty busy here and I know it can be quite crowded with limited space, but we always try to make sure everyone leaves full and happy. I look forward to taking care of you and yours when you are traveling to the area.
Have a great day!!!!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is the first time that my husband and I have stayed in this or any other Best Western. We would stay again. The front desk service was prompt and courteous. Very small lobby. Room was clean and there were plenty of pillows. Carpets need to be cleaned.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for taking time out to write your review Schupjo!!!
I can't tell you enough how much I love hearing all the wonderful comments on my front desk staff. And am so pleased you will stay here again with us next time you are in the area. Have a wonderful day!!!