“Good for a night's sleep”
Review of Super 8 Algona

Super 8 Algona
Super 8 Algona
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Algona
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a hotel for getting a night's sleep. It is a "get what you pay for" place. The price is reasonable. It's not immaculately clean nor is it disgusting dirty. There is some soap scum buildup on the shower surround and hard water buildup on the shower head, etc. The breakfast is a "fruit and carb" breakfast (fruit, cereal, toast). I had a comfortable sleep, which was all I was looking for. So, for the price, it was fine.

It has a very "mom and pop" feel and could use some updates. The Super 8 light was not even lit by the time we arrived.

Room Tip: I actually had a room at the far end of the hall, by the exit and had no issues with noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan S

Reviewed January 3, 2014

oom was cold as heater didn't work well, what a breakfast hardly anything coffee tasted burnt ,They could also have done a better job of snow removeal Have stayed there in past and was alittle better but I guess give them a chance. When got home there was a message on machine wondering when we were still checking in and we had already been checked in for 3 hrs. floor looked like hadn't been vaccumed but I guess was a place out of the cold. I think we need a free stay at another one of your Hotels.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed December 25, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here while on business in Nov 2013, chose this hotel because the better choice hotel offering was sold out (as was the Super8 after I got the last room).

My room was clean but dark, dank and dingy. I was on the lower floor (which was a mistake; see notes below) in a room with a double bed. Everything in the room looks tired, wornout, and as if it was purchased at a garage sale. The bathroom was clean but the tub/shower showed its wear. Not dirty, just dingy from too much use and not enough care or repair.

Some specific notes and +/- about the Super8:

Pluses:
Location: conveniently located off Hwy169 near the Hwy 18 intersection. Close to restaurants, stores, services, gas stations.
Price: At $50/night (AAA discount) can't complain too much (but I will anyway).
Internet: complimentary wireless internet in each room. Pretty speedy, but for the first time every in my travels, was not able to link into my VPN because of specific settings on the Super8's router.

Minuses:
Depressing: Walking into your room is depressing. You feel as if you walked into a room at the Bates Motel. Low ceilings, low lighting, worn furniture and carpeting.
Linens: If you wondered what happens to all those towels from your High School locker room when they get worn out from use, ponder no longer: the Super8 in Algona must purchase them for their use. The towels in my room were tiny, worn to a fray, and gray from washing too many times. Same for the linens on my bed. They were clean, but the were literally gray in color and you could tell they had seen better days many, many years ago. Also agree with the earlier poster how mentioned the pillows on the bed. Think airplane pillows if you want to know what the Super8 uses.
Lower floor room: Because every room was occupied, there was a guest in the room above mine. Through no fault of this person, everytime he moved, the floor squeaked. Luckily, he went to be early but when he got up at 5:00 am, I knew because I heard every squeak in the ceiling in my room.
Breakfast bar: Pathetic is the ony word to describe the offerings at the breakfast bar. Bruised, rotting bananas, WonderBread for toast (but nothing to put on it), microwave waffles, instant oatmeal, mini-donuts which had gone stale last year. Ick.

Would I stay here again, probably not. Funny, I've stayed at other Super8s in other small towns in Iowa and never quite had this poor an experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the lower floor rooms at all costs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GoldenBear_Husker
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were looking for somewhere reasonable. Didn't know what to expect but this hotel was clean staff was friendly and good food close. Sure there is some outdated things but owner is working on them. Room was double beds and a little small but I would recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Super 8 motel ran by locals - staff very helpful and friendly. The owners/staff are working hard to maintain and/or update the motel and make sure everything is okay for your stay.

Good location in Algona - right in the middle of everything. Nice park across the street - sidewalks connect to downtown and then the main shopping/restaurant area in the city if you feel like walking.

Very good rates.

I think the best thing about this motel was the breakfast. Waffles, yogurt, cereals, so on...

I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I am a truck driver that stays in motels about 2 times a week. I stay at Algona Super 8 every friday night . I can stay other places but the service , staff and the big cheese [Big Bernie and The Real Boss] is perfect for me . They are willling and will always help out with me every need. To top it this all off they have become freinds and family to me. this is like a 2nd home only once a week . You can't beat that. I thank Bernie and staff for all they do for me. from Rusty [The Caseys Driver]

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business