“Stale”
Review of Charbonos

Charbonos
Reserve with OpenTable
Charbonos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 99 Restaurants in Avon
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: US Hwy 36 (Rockville Road)
Description: Part of the Cunningham Restaurant Group (CRG) family, Charbonos is located in Avon, Indiana. Named for an uncommon and delicious variety of grape found in California, Charbonos welcomes guests to the Tuscan countryside. You will find award winning entrees including: ample portions of salads, pastas featuring homemade sauces, tender steaks and wood-fired pizzas. Charbonos warm decor, fine cuisine and dedication to excellent service have made the restaurant a local and regional favorite for over 13 years. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed January 1, 2014

No complaints about the food quality; however, they have reduced the serving sizes substantially but not the price. AND, the restaurant itself is very stale. My opinion is that they should actually shut it down and renovate throughout then reopen fresh and new. It looks and smells stale.

There are newer reviews for Charbonos

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went with two young children. They had a nice children's menu as well a sophisticated menu for adults. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Food was very good.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I planned a surprise birthday party for my spouse at Charbonos. I contacted the restaurant about five and a half weeks prior to the scheduled date and was told by Joel, a manager, that using the private dining room was not a problem, but that we might have to share because our party was smaller (20 people). That was not a problem. I confirmed details one week prior to the party date then contacted them again the morning of the party and dropped off the cake. I confirmed that guests would arrive at 6:00 pm, and I would be there with spouse at 6:15 pm. About 30 minutes after leaving the cake, I was called by a staff member who said that we had a time limit because someone else was using the private room at 8:30 pm. I was NEVER informed that there was another party scheduled after us until the morning of the party at approximately 11:30 am. (Had I known this when booking, I would have gone elsewhere.) I returned to the restaurant and voiced my concerns. Joel insisted that 6:30 to 8:15 pm was enough time for our party of 20. I requested to be moved to the main dining room, and Joel refused. At this point, it was too late to call everyone and change the location. While Andrew, the waiter, was great, overall, the experience was lacking. Took a long time for the kitchen to get the food ready. Two orders were left out and didn't arrive until everyone else was almost finished eating. Numerous problems with drinks (hard to mess up a gin martini, in my opinion). Then, at 7:45 pm, I was informed that we only had 30 minutes left. We had not even finished our meals, and we were being forced to cut the cake. We were basically run out of the restaurant and had to stand in the alcove between the bar, kitchen, and restrooms to pay our bills. Joel tried to blame the delay on us because we requested separate checks. I had discussed the issue of the separate checks and was told at least three times that it would not be a problem. We did not get to visit with all the guests and were forced to take all the birthday presents unopened to the car. Ironically, a rehearsal dinner was scheduled after us in the room. One of our guests knew the bride. She was not informed that there was another party using the room until 2:30 pm the day of the parties. The bride was not happy either because she had arrived early to set up and decorate the room. Finally, another friend was dining in the main room that night (unbeknowst to us at the time). There was a large party of 20-25 in the main room. That explains why we couldn't be moved out there, and the friend had to be moved from a different table.

After this experience, I contacted Mike Cunningham who owns this restaurant as well as the Stone Creeks, Bru Burger Bar, and Mesh around Indianapolis. He didn't seem concerned at all about the overbooking problem that exists, and he admitted that overbooking had been a problem in the past for his managers. He didn't offer to make any kind of concession or refund. Pretty poor in my opinion, especially considering our bill was over $550 before tip. Needless to say, we (and most of our guests) will not be going back to any of the Cunningham restaurants. So much for trying to support local places. We would have had a better experience at Olive Garden down the road.

1  Thank KAK401
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Charbonos' was selected for our dinner because of trip advisor and the desk people at our hotel. The Bourbon Street Pasta was spicy and flavorful. The chicken with mushrooms was also very good. Service was great. Our server kept us updated on our food. The meals are cooked to order so sit back and relax it takes a while to prepare good food!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I guess every restaurant has a down day & unfortunately I must have hit Charbono's on that day. I ordered lasagna & split it with another diner in my party. The server was gracious enough to have the kitchen split it for us. The 3rd diner in our party ordered the full portion of lasagna & he felt the same way about his. Unfortunately, it had very little sauce, but instead was like a giant dough covered with cheese. We ordered side salads too, which were fine and the hot bread was delicious. What saved the meal was the brownie dessert. It's always been a favorite of ours & never disappoints.