“Overcharged and left a family of 5 with no money”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Avon
“Overcharged and left a family of 5 with no money”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My daughter went to Choicehotels.com on May 1, 2014 and reserved two rooms for May 16 and 17 2014. She does not have a credit card so I used my debit card to help her reserve it. She used her military ID to receive a discount on the rooms. As we left Springfield, Illinois at 1pm we noticed that a charge had appeared already from Comfort Inn. It was the amount for night 1 of our stay. I have never had a hotel authorize a charge 4 hours before my check in day. We arrived in Indiana around 430pm their time. As we tried to check in they told my daughter she was too young, age 20, to rent a room. I had to put the room in my name and they asked for my card. I said the card has already been used to authorize the payments for the weekend. I showed them my account online. They said ok and gave us our room keys. As we checked in the second night was authorized from my checking account.
We got to room 303 and it smelled horrible. we got our febreze from the car and sprayed. didn't help. tried to turn on the AC to get air moving. It did not work. called front desk and they moved us to room 313. smelled better.
We got up the next morning to breakfast. We asked for a rollaway. she said ok its $10. She said she would just use the same card that we used to rent the room. She tried and it declined. I said well I have plenty of money on the card. She tried again and it declined. The housekeeping girl standing next to her informed her that the amount she tried to authorize was $98 it was the price of another night stay plus the rollaway for $10. ooops she said. then she didn't know how to fix that. I had to give her $10 and keep checking my account that it didn't authorize the charge.
we left to visit family for a few and returned about 1230 to swim and take a nap. Our door keys would not work. I went down to the front desk and she said my debit card was declining charges. I asked what charges. We have already paid for the rooms. She said that the original auths for the rooms are not working so they did them again and now its declining. They locked us out of our room until we paid the room. I checked my account again and another $70 was authorized and had wiped out our entire account. We now had 0 dollars in our account for the remainder of the weekend. The lady at the front desk told me that I should not have made the reservation online and that it clearly states AT THE FRONT DESK not to use a debit card cause multiple account authorizations needs to occur. Ok, well I did the reservation at home....wasn't at the front desk. I talked to the GM and she said that she tried to ok the original auths and they wouldn't go through so they tried to do them over again and nothing would work but $70. I said, yeah, that’s all I have in my account to last the rest of the weekend and now that is gone too. I am on a family trip with three children and no money and they wont let me in my room. They said contact my bank and get it handled through them first. HELLO its Saturday after 1pm in Illinois and my bank is closed. Then she said give her a copy of my debit card and DL and they would let me in my room. My husband was furious. They threatened to call cops if he didn't calm down. we now can get in our room but no money for gas or food.
called choice hotels customer service. Cant do anything till Monday.
my children went to use the pool around 2pm and the cards wouldn't work. the front desk lady that was very rude to us during the card incident told my children ages 7,13,20 that they didn't know how to use the card. a maintenance man came over and used HIS card to open the door. he never tried to use my kids cards to see if they worked. we had been swimming the night before and they used them just fine.
Called Monday May 19, 2014. No sympathy. I should have read the sign that said no debit cards and since we got a MILITARY discount we shouldn't complain because we were already getting a discount. I asked him what he would have done in that situation. No help. All he said was talk to my bank.
I called my bank and they said they can clearly see all the charges from comfort inn and did not know what the problem was. I was asking them what to do about getting the charges removed and I was told to cancel the card so that the charges that were still in auth mode would fall off. The only charge that will stay is the $70 from Saturday afternoon that the GM did and took the rest of my money out of my account. so that is what I did. Now I have to wait a week to get a new card and fight to get my stay discounted or even comped because we had a miserable time and felt like prisoners in the hotel without any money. Every time I try to talk to someone from the hotel or from customer service they keep telling my that my husband made a scene and that I shouldn't have used a debit card. since when is computer glitches or incompetent hotel employees the customers fault.

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank CABranson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The first night was on the ground floor, just a few doors away from the front desk, laundry area, rest room, etc. Very noisy, could not sleep. They claim that the room I was in was an "upgrade", very popular room for their guests. Not to me. They moved me to the 3rd floor which was indeed quieter, but the ice machine was broke on that floor, so I had to go to the ground floor for ice. And I needed quite a bit of ice since there are no refrigerators in rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors (only ground floor rooms have refrigerators). I asked if they could move a refrigerator to my room on the 3rd floor, since we are choice hotels gold members, manager would not approve. The reclining chair in the 3rd floor room was defective/broken on the mechanism, took over 24 hours to get that replaced. This hotel used to be a Super 8 and you can tell. Not the quality that we're used to with Comfort Inn. The manager acted like everything that went wrong was my fault, offered no apologies, just said that they "offered a solution" to each problem. I was stressed out already with the medical treatments I was undergoing (reason for being there), but staying at this hotel stressed me out even more. I considered switching to another hotel in network, but didn't feel up to the move with my medical issues going on. I will say that it was much quieter on the 3rd floor and the breakfast was good. The rest of the staff was helpful, just didn't like the manager at all...much too harsh and unkind. I asked for some compensation for not having an ice machine on the 3rd floor and she offered $5 off each night that it wasn't fixed yet. Not much, but something anyway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor away from elevator and stairwell are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Cathy F

Travelers are raving about these Avon hotels

Campbell, New York
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here this past week and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the room was.

The bed was very comfortable with the newer foam top mattress. The five pillows were a very nice mixture of soft and firm pillows.

The room was very clean and up to date looking.

Breakfast had a nice mixture of items from eggs to fresh fruit to waffles.

The staff were all friendly and seemed to take pride in the hotel, which is something not normally found in the cheaper priced chains.

I would definitely stay hear again as I felt as if we actually receive a good value for our money for once.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank robinwsmith
ComfortInnAvon, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to be comfortable and a good value. I hope that you will return to stay with us again if you are in the Avon area.

Michelle Chapman
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel and I was impressed with the cleanliness and condition of this fairly budget minded hotel//motel. The room was large with large flat screened TV. Great king sized bed and comfortable easy chair. Desk and desk chair were also in the room. Bathroom was clean and in good shape. It looks like a new hotel from the inside. Overall I may have scored the hotel a four star rating but for the price I had to bump it up to 5 star overall.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ComfortInnAvon, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our property. I am glad that you found the room clean and comfortable. We strive to provide the best possible guest experience. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Avon area.
Kettering, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I spend 40 weeks a year in hotels around the country and for me service is what separate's an average stay and a great stay. I would rate this employee staff at the top...they must be well managed...they work as team, the people at the desk were prompt and courteous, the ladies working the breakfast area had everything ready and never had to ask for anything, housekeeping was very friendly and helpful, and the maintenance man got things done right away. I was looking for a room with a refrigerator and when one came available they moved me to that room.... my stay last week was very pleasant and looking forward to staying the again!
I'd like to thank the entire staff and looking forward to seeing you all again!
Mike....Dayton, ohio

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike S
We truly appreciate your kind words and enjoyed having you as a guest. We will welcome you back the next time you are in Avon. I am glad we were able to make your stay a good one. Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
los angeles
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've stayed at well over a hundred Comfort Inns in the country and this one is right up there with the best of them for a number of reasons. Upon my entry I was greeted by a handsome young man by the name of Brock. He was quite charming, super friendly and started things off as professionally as can be asked, he even asked me my floor preference, which is a very rare occurrence. I could not believe the hotel is 2 years old. Everything was super fresh including the carpet, paint, and the pillows felt brand new and quite plump...not those flat pillows you are more likely to find. The breakfast area was one of the most stylish ones I've seen....and was well stocked with a great selection of items. The hotel is within a mile or two of many food establishments....this hotel is a cut above the rest! I will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HandsumMuscle
ComfortInnAvon, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Comfort Inn - Avon. Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience to our guests and I will share your review with the rest of our team, especially Brock. I hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the area.
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel before. Was pleased the first time. Had started making reservations for our employees to stay in October. We had a family emergency did not know how long it we needed to stay. Our original reservation was done online through a rewards company. Got in late, went to the room, unloaded the luggage, and then we noticed that bathroom was not cleaned. Reloaded the luggage went to the front desk. The clerk stated he was very sorry, and upgraded us to a suite. Found little things wrong with the suite unit but no real complaints. Next night went to the desk and told the same clerk from the night before, we wanted to stay three more nights. Ask what the rate was. He stated the same and as the first two and that we could continue to stay in the same room. Swiped our card and we proceeded to say until the 4th night.

Now, the father in law is still the hospital and we need to stay additional nights. In the Morning of the 5th night, which we had already had paid for that night met the general manager. Asked her about nights 6 to 9. She looks at what was happening and explained she could not give us the same rate for the weekend and that even the 5th night would be a little higher. There was a mistake and that the rate was wrong. She had to charge us more for the suite but it was still at a discount. Quickly she stated she was going to check us out and then check us back in the same room. I quickly had to sign the paperwork because we were already late getting to the hospital. She did not give us a copy of what I signed. That night, I demanded a copy of what I signed that morning. The night clerk could not print the folio. Next morning, got a copy and the general manager had back charged a higher rate for all the nights . Told the morning clerk that was wrong, she called the gm. And then stated nothing could be done right then. I needed to talk to the GM. I tried all weekend to contact the general manager and finally was able to contact her.
And you guessed it, no help. To top it all off, checked my CC and there is over three times the amount on hold that I was to pay at checkout. Three days later and still not credits or releases of holds.

I have stayed all over the world, many places and have never been fooled like this one. Be very careful. First looks of this place can be deceiving.

Room Tip: Prepay with cash if you have to say here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank indycss2
ComfortInnAvon, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Comfort Inn - Avon. I am so glad that we were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a suite for the 5 nights that you stayed with us. I would like to clarify that you were not charged any additional fees throughout your stay. You were charged the standard rate for each of the nights that you stayed with us. The first two nights were reserved through an online travel partner, and the last three nights were reserved directly through the hotel. At no point during your stay did you pay any rate that was higher than our best available rate. As we have discussed, we had waived the upgrade fee for the suite for the duration of your stay. The additional authorizations were because you had planned to stay for another 2 additional days and decided to check out early when your father-in-law was released. Any pending authorizations for those anticipated nights were released from your debit card at the time that you checked out of the hotel. If you or your bank has any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance, please contact me during normal business hours at (317) 272-8789.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Avon
Baymont Inn & Suites Plainfield/ Indianapolis Arpt Area
Wingate By Wyndham Indianapolis Airport-Rockville Rd.
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 4 in Brownsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Indianapolis/Brownsburg
Hampton Inn Indianapolis-SW/Plainfield

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!