“Eat outside and watch the river traffic”
Review of Applewood By the River - CLOSED

Applewood By the River
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have been here a few times over the years of travel to the area for business and the menu never disappoints. I chose to eat on the patio since it was such a nice evening and the river traffic is a nice background to enjoy. The patio has a nice grassy area and if you want to just stay in the bar area, there are tv's to watch your favorite teams. If weather is not so good, there are many rooms inside on the first and second floors and I am sure they entertain groups nicely.

In the past, I have tasted their ribs and have been impressed with the meat quality and the amazing flavors of the sauce. They boast of winning several prizes and I can see why. I have also had their pork chops and enjoyed the tender meat, great sauces, and smoky flavor. This time, I chose a Boursin cheese filet with a baked potato and brandied apples. The steak was tender and juicy and had the creamy flavor boost from the cheese layer inside and was dressed with thin and crispy onion rings and a cabernet sauce over thin toast points. Several layers of flavors and each was well defined. Brea was my server and she was fairly new but knew the menu well and offered good advice. Pricing was just over $20 for a very nice meal and evening. I am sure I will be back the next time I get in the area.

There are newer reviews for Applewood By the River

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We have been to the Applewood several times and I have never been impressed with the food. We do, however, like the patio area and will go sometimes for that.

We have a little one, and it is nice because we can sit at our table and he can run around in the large, fenced in grassy area. You can see the boats go by and they have light-up palm trees. Sometimes there are corn-hole sets out.

We have been there one night when there was live music during dinner, and we were NOT impressed with that. It was some cheesy looking man playing a casio and it was WAY too loud that we could not talk over it.

Our experiences have been just ok.

1  Thank Navilla
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My boyfriend and my self had went to meet another couple there, that was the first and last time. It was Sunday night we had met for drinks and to catch up. The service was mediocre the drinks were good, but you can't mess up beer. We had 3 drinks between us, cashed out everything seemed good. Until I check my online banking and was charged $50.00 for 3 drinks!!!!! I have tried to call to get this fixed and can not get a hold of anyone!

3  Thank Gods_girl2323
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I stopped at the Applewood yesterday for an early dinner while we were out enjoying the beautiful day because they have a great outdoor seating area. We came in through the gate by the bar area and asked the bartender if we should seat ourselves. She was very polite and told us to go inside and the hostess will seat us. So we went in, waited a couple of minutes and the hostess asked us if we wanted to sit outside and we said yes. She gave us a choice of two tables and we picked the one straight ahead from the doors we just came out of. The next table over, someone was leaving and it was quickly cleaned up and a group of 4 was seated there. A waitress came over and took their drink orders. We were still sitting there with open menues and no one had waited on us yet. No huge deal, we'd probably been sitting there 10 minutes. So five or ten minutes later 3 people walk in the gate and seat themselves but the hostess noticed them and brought them menues. They got waited on after a few minutes. Still no service of any kind for us. A couple of waitresses passed by our table so I figured we were next to get waited on and I told my thirsty husband to give them 5 more minutes. Five minutes came and went and still no service, we couldn't even get someones attention to ask who was our waitress. We sat there for at least 20 minutes being ignored and that's when we decided to walk out, which we did. This is a shame because they have a great outdoor seating area. After this experience we won't be in any hurry to go back, if ever.

2  Thank ishouldbediving
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Loved this place until the cockroach in my seafood salad, the server dumping the dressing down my new pair of jeans, and the owner/manager telling me "we do not have roaches," well what was that thing crawling in my plate that she killed but they do not have roaches.

1  Thank Lynn H