“Why I Follow the Blue Highways”
Review of The Depot

The Depot
Ranked #30 of 66 Restaurants in Angola
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This delightful little eatery is owned by nearby Trine University, and is operated by Bon Appétit Management Company, which manages food service elsewhere on campus. But don't let that mislead you. The food here is made of fresh, using local sustainable ingredients. The menu offers upward of a dozen sandwiches, with optional toppings and sides. There is an extensive condiment bar at the end of the counter where you pick up your food. You can add a salad and either the soup of the day or "famously good chili." For dessert, hand dipped local ice cream, old-fashioned milkshakes, home-baked cookies, or the "Ultimate Brownie a la mode." My choice: the Special, on this afternoon a Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich on a fresh toasted roll, doctored to my taste with condiments and enjoyed with sweet potato fries.

Meanwhile, there is a working player piano; lots of historic pictures, the occasional passing train; and benches in the large dining room that are original to the station. Hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

2  Thank James P
There are newer reviews for The Depot

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I graduated from the University, so I had high hopes for The Depot. It serves cafeteria food with a gimmick. I was quite disappointed. The idea is nice, the train station atmosphere is quaint. But they don't really pull it off.

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

My family enjoyed our meal at The Depot. The prices are reasonable and the toppings and salads are fresh produce. This is a college hang out which I didn't realize before going in. It is geared mostly toward the students on campus. I gave a low atmosphere rating because when I left I reeked of grease from the fryer. This is a major turn off for a restaurant. The food was very good and the staff was pleasant so I may return for carry-out.