“Made The Trip To Scratch Brewing In Ava, Illinois”
Review of Scratch Brewing

Scratch Brewing
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Ava
Reviewed June 16, 2016

After sampling their brews and breads, I was determined to make the 1-1/2 hour drive to Ava, Illinois from St. Louis. According to my GPS car unit, "you can't there from here."
Lots of small side roads and byways, but finally got to Ava. I loved the setting immediately. All built "from scratch", hops growing in the garden, wood fired oven, hand made furniture, goats in the yard. Friendly staff invited me in -- sampled four of their custom brews, all delicious. I ordered a wood fired pizza, and was blown away by this delicious, hand-made crust. I wanted to stay, but paced myself, because of the long drive home. Will definitely repeat the visit, and bring friends.

Reviewed May 25, 2016

Great bread, pizza....beer fantastic. Seriously good eats!! But, to get any of those things one descends from the parking lot into a sea of tobacco smoke (from cigarettes and cigars) and the smoke follows one through the screens into the dining room. I was looking forward to my visit after enjoying the beer at other locations. I will continue to find beer and bread at other locations. If you don't like smoke with your food and drink stay away. If you do, this is the place to go.

Reviewed May 22, 2016 via mobile

We were really excited to visit this brewery and left disappointed. There was an event going on (maybe a wedding?) and the staff acted as if they didn't want to be bothered by our small group. We did a tour of multiple breweries that day, and Scratch was definitely a disappointment compared to the others we visited. While it's a neat location, I doubt we go back.

Reviewed March 27, 2016

Middle of nowhere, nice rural relaxed atmosphere. Good selection of brews with interesting ingredients (hay? beets?) We were there on a sunny spring Saturday and enjoyed sitting outside. The food looked good, too, but we didn't have any.