“Roundhouse -- Historic Train Roundhouse”

Two Brothers Roundhouse
Ranked #1 of 300 Restaurants in Aurora
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Roundhouse -- Historic Train Roundhouse”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Loved the setting, but the food and service were why we went back the second night. Walked over from our hotel (Comfort Suites), no reservations, and had a great Friday and Saturday night. Waitress was nice, service was quick, and the setting was historic and just our thing. Loved the huge mural, giant curved windows, heavy beams. Great menu, and nice drink selection. Also, just walked around outside and purchased our tickets for next day ride into downtown Chicago.

• Visited April 2013

Iowa
“One click short of excellent....”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

.....but in no way should this keep you from going in to the joint. For any of you that read multiple reviews of mine, you know my theme is two fold:

1. People make ALL the difference, and
2. If you're a hotel and charge me for wi-fi I'll never be back.

I had an appetizer and a "small plate", and two beers. First, the average. This is a beer joint......and I may have been having a bad day but the beer was...okay. It wasn't fantastic, and all I recall is having one dark and one red. The dark was a 7/10; a Guiness type with some coffee/caramel flavor. The red was....red. Again, good beers but not "drive 50 miles out of my way" to have them again.

My appetizer of pork belly tacos was to die for. 'Nuff said. if you go, try them.

My small plate of nachos was......not great. Slightly below average. I didn't finish them, which is significant because I ALWAYS finish my meals!!! Momma told me to.

Listen, the physical surroundings are awesome as was the server. I'll say it again...people make ALL the difference, and this young man was informed and experienced and had obviously been given flexibility to manager his area.

Go try this place. I'd recommend staying away from the nachos!

1 Thank Joe F
Plainfield, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I really wanted to like this place”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was really excited to try Two Brothers after viewing the menu online. They have some very interesting options, but they were all poorly executed. We started with the pretzels, which were great, but we should have stopped there. I ordered the Spring Salad, which was a special. The lettuce was wilted, it contained large chunks of beets, which weren't pleasant to eat in such large chunks, and the overall flavor combinations were bad. My husband ordered the fish and chips. The fish batter wasn't cooked enough and the chips were over cooked. Next we had the Arancini, which were over cooked and lacked flavor. Our last small plate, the steak tacos, had very little flavor, I didn't even finish my portion. Even our daughter's chicken fingers were over cooked, and the fruit cup that came with her meal, although fresh, was chopped up into tiny pieces, just weird. I also tried their homemade French Lemonade and it was terrible. It had a bathroom cleaner taste that was disgusting. I really hope they can turn this place around. It is such a cool, historic building and has such great potential. It's a shame the food is so terrible. They are trying to be upscale and just can't pull it off.

1 Thank kdaubenberger
Chicago, Illinois
“Good food, excellent beer, superior service”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We hadn't been to the Roundhouse for awhile, then suddenly found ourselves there twice in a week. Love some of the new beers, like Revelry. The old standard, Cane and Abel is always good too. The service was absolutely remarkable. The game sausage plate and beer brezen are recommended as appetizers. Our vegetarian daughter ordered the vegetable lasagna, though, and that was pretty bland. Still, the old building is very cool, they often have interesting events and music there, and if you haven't been there recently, it's worth stopping by.

1 Thank Abelard1079
Carol Stream, Illinois, United States
“Great food and service”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Save room for dessert. OK you probably won't have room, but get the dessert anyway. There's always a great selection of Two Brothers Beer which is a reason in itself to visit.

Visited March 2013

Been to Two Brothers Roundhouse? Share your experiences!