“Wish we had better service...”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Aurora Naperville
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Aurora
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We came as a group of mothers bringing preteen daughters to a concert. The room was big enough for us and nice since they include a kitchenette. The cleanliness left something to be desired. Our toilet had to be plunged with every use. The staff was kind enough to lend us a plunger. My daughter found food in the sofa sleeper. The night clerk informed us that no blankets were available (and she didn't get up to look), and we couldn't find one in the bedding that was available for the sofa sleeper. The day shift clerk was as helpful as she could be when we had to switch from a non smoking room to a smoking room due to some hitch in the rooms' availability. We had to move out of one room before the next room was cleaned. They held out luggage for us during the time we were out and waiting for the room change. The complimentary breakfast was ok. The Fitness center is small with two nice treadmills and an elliptical, and one recumbent bike. The pool was rather murky. I don't think I would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Aurora Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Booknmypurse,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Very good value for the price. We stayed over a weekend for a wedding: the staff was very pleasant, it was to easy to park, it is close in location to shopping, Riverwalk Park and the Naperville "downtown" which is very friendly for walking- eating- shopping. The room layout was great, one person can sleep in while the other has a kitchenette and lounge area that is separated from the bedroom by a door. First time at a Staybridge and have definitely put them on our prefered list

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 13, 2013

+ Location is ~10 minutes from Chicago Premium Outlet if shopping is your thing.
+ Rooms are big and well equipped with large fridge, microwave oven.
+ Reception very responsive prior to arrival, and stored a delivered package to me for a week.

- There was toilet paper in the toilet upon arrival...bad.
- A/C very noisy.
- Rooms close to breakfast/lounge area = smell of food inside the room.
- Sound isolation bad, woke up by the breakfast sounds and easy to hear sounds from adjacent room.
- Breakfast: pizza, coke, scrambled eggs were a joke, like styrofoam. No bacon just strange ham. Disposable cups...come on, is that environmental caretaking??... Really bad variety of breakfast.

Room Tip: My room was just above the breakfast/lounge area, I think it was 221. Food odours entering my room i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Aurora Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Staffan72,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are happy that you liked our location. On the other hand, I humbly extend an apology for the unsatisfactory breakfast you had during your stay. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being reviewed and action will be taken accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to Aurora.

Karen G.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The clerk at desk was so rude. Tried to check in and she said she was on break. Told us to come back later. Did so and the she said (at 2) that there no rooms and cleaners were on break. Clerk in evening (short hair, glasses, female) was lovely. The daytime clerk was also very rude the second day.
Room was dirty. Food on floor and a mini play football. Door to bed area was off hinges. Black hair on pillow. In shower area there was a huge bump up underneath the tub liner (the diameter was larger than a basketball, but not as tall) which made it difficult to stand and shower. Many cracks in sink.
We stay at this location several times of year because it is close to work location we visit. It's condition and staff are going downhill.
We are looking for another hotel, which might not be as close, because this last visit was really awful.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Aurora Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Hmm1960,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the room conditions. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the cleanliness of the room has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have to say Rachel Huerta our front desk clerk added much joy to our stay. Her meet and greet personality was so fun. We were they with Bernina and loved the hotel. The only problem for us was when we got there we were after dinner, then stayed on nights where there was no dinner and we didn't have a car. We prevailed with a nice walk to Red Lobster, the train ride to the city and ordered in. Would definitely stay again and might stop for some goodies before we went to the room. Hope to be back in the future!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Let me preface this by saying that I normally stay at the Marriott Brand of properties, but my corporate travel liason booked this, as I was in town on business. The staff/front desk, was VERY polite, friendly, and helpful where they could be. The room and premises seemed very clean, and well taken care of. The breakfast was good, and plentiful. Lots of options, and was actually tasty. However, what turned me off about this place was the bed...pure and simple, probably one of the most uncomfortable beds i have ever laid on. there was no furniture in the bedroom, so it was obvious that previous guests had just sat on the edge of the bed, and it had broken down on both sides......there was no support....i didnt sleep at all, as i couldnt get comfortable on the broken down bed. Other than that, the hotel served its purpose, and I had a pleasant experience. If the bed was suffieciently comfortable, i would recommend this property to anyone, but can only give an average rating until those beds get fixed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Aurora Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Thomas D,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that your comments about the bed has been documented and appropriate actions will be taken. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My daughter's dance team had a block of rooms reserved at the Staybridge for a weekend competition. Even though the block of rooms was gone when I went to make my reservation, and EVEN THOUGH they told me day after day as I called to check that they were COMPLETELY BOOKED UP for the weekend, I went on Priceline, did one of their Express Deals (where you know the area and the rating but not the exact hotel) and ended up getting a room at the Staybridge. Long story short we ended up with a smoking room that REEKED and they never came and aired it out for us although we asked repeatedly. We also didn't receive ANY maid service in our three day/two night stay although we requested it on check-in. The really awful part was that our garbage disposal leaked all this icky looking smelly stuff under our sink and out onto the floor. I immediately reported it to the front desk, they made a note and said they'd check it, came back after a day of dance, hadn't been fixed, starting to smell. By the time we checked out on Sunday, they STILL had never come to even check it, so we couldn't even use the kitchen sink without it leaking, and it was a rotten smell. I filled out a comment card and gave it to the front desk at check-out and didn't even receive so much as an apology, let alone any offer of how they could possibly make it up to us. All my daughter's expensive dance costumes now reek of smoke being in there 2 1/2 days and I had to wash everything we took with us whether it was worn or not.

Room Tip: If you want a good room -- simply stay at a different hotel!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Heather W, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Aurora Naperville, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

I apologize for your negative experience at the Staybridge Suites Aurora. It was a very busy weekend and the block for the dance group was completely sold out until we received a few cancellations on Saturday May 4, 2013.
You received a smoking room due to booking through Priceline. Priceline does not let you guarantee what hotel you are going to or any specifics regarding the room, i.e. smoking preference. I wish that airing out a room would remove the smoke smell, but it does not. The smell is in the carpeting, drapes, upholstery and even the walls.
As far as the leaking under the sink, maintenance discovered that the garbage disposal needed to be replaced. Had the hotel not been sold out that night you would have been changed to another room. Since maintenance did not have the replacement part it was ordered on Monday. The room is now back in order and I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you and your family.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact me at 630.978.2222.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago / Aurora
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Aurora - Naperville
Candlewood Suites Aurora - Naperville
Holiday Inn Aurora North- Naperville
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 9 in Aurora
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago-Naperville

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Aurora Naperville? Share your experiences!