“Just walk through the door, you'll thank yourself later.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taste of Morocco - CLOSED

Taste of Morocco
Cuisines: Moroccan, Mediterranean
Montgomery, Illinois
“Just walk through the door, you'll thank yourself later.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

When we drove up, we almost turned around and left. Let's face it, it doesn't look like much from the parking lot and there was nobody in the restaurant when we arrived except the owner, on a Saturday evening at 6:30 no less.

We are so glad that we walked in. This mom-and-pop place is something very, very special. The owner is passionate and proud of his restaurant and food and eager to show you what Moroccan food is all about. He will answer any question and will provide you with video/photos of what it looks like. This kind of service and love for product and culture is very rare and much appreciated.

The prices are excellent. If you want more food, just order it: at $8.99 to $10.99 per entree you aren't breaking the bank to tack on an extra one. Remember these are Moroccan portions, not the stuff-the-pig portions we ordinarly eat in the States.

We orderded to-go which was decided before we walked in the door due to time constraints. While we were waiting, the owner gave us glasses of the best sweet mint tea my wife and I have ever had. Incredible and served over a large mint sprig in decorative glasses from a silver teapot. After our food was ready, we spoke with the owner for a little while and grabbed a package of biscotti.

When we got home, we were treated to a spread of food that was delicious and satisfying. The "Char-Grilled Combo Feast" was more than adequate in size per person with three pieces of beef kefta (like elongated meatballs), four cut pieces of grilled chicken, two soft potato maakouda (think fried plantain, only potato instead), homemade hummus, a salad with delicious cucumber dressing, and a nice dense grilled pita. I finished mine, but my wife could not finish hers. Everything was delicious and, since we had not had Moroccan food before, we were pleasantly surprised by the tastes and textures we experienced. About the only thing we thought might be improved was to add a little more salt to the hummus, though that is our taste from eating packaged hummus and may not be the "authentic" way to prepare it. For dessert we had the biscotti which was out of this world! Very flavorful and not too hard with just enough anise to add flavor but not too much to make it overwhelming. My wife said that it might be the best biscotti she's ever eaten.

Next time we plan to eat at the restaurant to experience tajine dining and drink more mint tea. This is the kind of place run by wonderful people that deserves to thrive and grow from humble beginnings into something greater so definitely give it a chance.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Matthew L

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I picked up a variety of dishes to try. For starters my favorite was the Zaalouk, this dish had a well balanced mixture made of eggplant,tomato,garlic and olive oil, I would order this dish again.
My favorite dish overall was the Mediterranean Tajine made with Lamb instead of the chicken. The aroma coming from this Tajine was incredible. The aroma of a sweet and nuttiness combined with many other spices made me excited to try this dish. Your taste buds will be in for a treat when diving into this dish. The lamb was prepared to perfection! The meat was tender and delicate.
The Couscous I enjoyed and should be on your list to eat too as its one of the best I have ever had. This national Morocco dish is served only on Fridays, and I will be back just for the couscous! I ordered the vegetable couscous which had 7 different vegetables and is considered to be a blessed number in Morocco.
I ended my meal with Bassboussa and fell in love with this flour less cake. The smell and light flavor for this cake was of oranges and coconut and were present but not overwhelming.
Bottom line here is that this place is a gem, with the meal portions perfectly sized and the amazing cuisine. This restaurant has earned my business and I will be telling all my friends and family to go there.

• Visited January 2013
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Nothing Special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

If we did not have a Groupon, we would not have even come here. Service was not great and we left the restaurant hungry. The portions were way too small and the food was nothing special at all.

Visited January 2013
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Great new little Moroccan restaurant in Aurora.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Taste of Morocco is a new unpretentious Moroccan restaurant which opened in a strip mall in Aurora. It's run by a nice Moroccan family and the food is like home style cooking in Morocco. My wife and I lived for a year in Morocco and have visited there several times over the years so we know the food. This was our first trip to Taste of Morocco and we found the food to of excellent quality, fresh, flavorful, and and good portions. We had a variety of dishes from kefta kabob to tajines with chicken, vegetables, and lemon as well as chicken with prunes. The meal also came with a serving of home made flat bread, a spicy dip, and olives. My children loved they food and when I asked them for comment, they said "amazing, great flavors." As one of my daughters is a vegetarian, we appreciated the fact the they had vegetarian choices on the menu. I would recommend looking at their menu online and calling your order in ahead as the food requires careful preparation. We had to drive over a half an hour from Glen Ellyn to get there and we certainly will return. It brought back fond memories of Morocco. I wish them all the best, Inchallah.

• Visited October 2012