“run don't walk to this charming find!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mama's Greek Couzina - CLOSED

Mama's Greek Couzina
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Whitefish Falls, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“run don't walk to this charming find!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stopped in here for lunch this past weekend while in Aurora visiting my daughter and was totally smitten. The restaurant is bright and clean with impeccable service . We had the saganaki (fried cheese) which was served flamed along with a basket of freshly baked (on location) bread. I had ordered the spanokapita for entree and Mama herself came out and asked me to reorder as she was not happy how it turned out (too dry she thought). I reordered the dolmades and my daughter had the pastichio; we split both and were delighted. As suggested we had the glaktoboureko for dessert and it was superb!
My thanks to all for a wonderful lunch. Wish I lived there so I could eat more often but I will definitely return on my next visit to Aurora.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Dan M

chicago
“Try it you'll like it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for the real deal in Greek cooking, look no further. I was at this location a few years back under another name, and the food was outstanding. Fast forward ... The name has changed but it is still the same owner. Her welcome home feeling she gives you is just the start of your experience. I think I have had everything on the menu. You can not go wrong with the Lamb shank or the musacka. It's a win everytime. Large portions on all dishes. You need to hurry, because the owner is heading back to Greece in another year and won't be coming back.

1 Thank 62andout
aurora,il
“Mama's Greek Couzina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Delicious authentic Greek food. Started with saganaki, a nice size portion that was tasty and not too salty,very good. The pastichio was delicious!. Perfectly layered and the flavors blended together wonderfully. The dolmades were tasty and the sauce was creamy. The chicken exohiko was superb, flaky crust with tender chicken baked to perfection. Don't usually have dessert but our waiter suggested the glaktoboureko, this was a very creamy custard between two phyllo sheets with a delicious vanilla flavor and topped with honey syrup, it mellted in your mouth! We will definitely come back again!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank suz82655
Aurora, Illinois
“New Greek restaurant in Aurora”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Mama's Greek Couzina recently opened on the west side of Aurora near the Aurora University area. After hearing several positive comments on the food we gave it a try on a Saturday night. We were not disappointed.

Started out with appetizers which consisted of saganaki, kefalotiri cheese, pan seared and flamed table side, with plenty of juices to soak up the homeade bread basket that was provided. Very rich, not too salty and a nice start to the meal. Also for an appetizer had the dolmades, which is a seasoned beef and rice wrapped in grapes leaves in a egg-lemon sauce...very tasty. I had never tried the avgolemono, a creamy chicken rice soup with egg and lemon, very good. Next we shared the Greek salad, that is more than enough for two people, but hey, we were trying to work our way through the whole menu! Mousaka for the main course was delicious. Ended up taking food home.

Menu has hot and cold appetizers, five of each. I will be trying the fried baby calamari next time and the taramosalata( fish roe blended with olive oil and lemon juice, served with pita.)

Lunch menu with salad and several sandwiches. Dinner entrees include giro plate, several lamb dishes, mousaka, pastichio and Athenian chicken,shrimp shish ke bobs,salmon and dried salt cod. A dish tried by others was the chicken exohiko: chicken mixed with kefalotiri cheese and artichoke hearts seasoned with a blend of herbs and spices cooked in a phyllo dough wrap, got rave reviews.

Simple, comfortable place serving homeade food, made fresh daily at very reasonable prices. If you enjoy authentic Greek food I think you will be surprised. Taste and quality are on par with more expensive dining experiences.

Our server, Max was very helpful, and guided us through all the delicious choices.

Can't wait for our next visit.

• Visited October 2012