“Sad Decline”

SciTech Hands On Museum
Ranked #5 of 27 things to do in Aurora
More attraction details
Owner description: Over 200 interactive Science and Technology exhibits. 30,000sq feet of exciting science fun in an historic post office building in downtown Aurora. Two story TORNADO that you can stand inside of. Real life Storm Chasing Truck. Hot Air Balloon Simulator, Shadow Wall: Watch your shadow get trapped on the wall! Kane County Cougars Radar Baseball Throw: Measure the speed of your pitch! Virtual Topography Sand Box: Build a mountain and watch a lake form! Google Liquid Sky: 3D global journey. June 2014: Nano-Vation Labs (for ages 6 and under) June - August: Outdoor Science Park, Field Trips, Birthday Parties, Scout Events, Overnights, and so much more! Discovery Shop: One-Of-A-Kind STEM gifts for your budding SCIENTIST !! SciTech STEM Discovery Academy: Preschool and Kindergarten
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Really I'd like to give it 2 1/2 circles, it's not quite poor, but below average. It's been a few years since our last visit and the place needs work. Admission is $8 for everyone 4 and up (seniors are a little less, $6 I think), which is a lot if you are getting there at 1PM and the place closes at 3PM. It would be nice if they offered discounted admission after noon or 1.

Many activities my children wanted to experience, were closed for "upgrading" and of the ones left, a few didn't work properly. The outside area was not open so we went from exhibit to exhibit and my kids were bored after an hour.

The honeybee hive that was previously on the 2nd floor is gone, as is the room in the basement painted to make you feel like the room is shrinking/slanted.

They have a wind attraction that simulates what it feels like to be in a 78 mph tornado, but that is an extra $2. On the plus side, on street parking was free.

If you'd like a nice little children's museum that focuses on learning, I'd suggest the Discovery Museum in Rockford. Yes, it is farther, but the admission is the same $8, they are open until 5PM, parking is free and your kids will be engaged all day.

6  Thank Elaine H
There are newer reviews for SciTech Hands On Museum

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This museum is an hour+ from our home and still worth the drive. It is housed in an old post office--probably built in the 30's. If you are used to gleaming exhibits and modern halls, this will be a change. Many of the hands on materials are worn because, well, there's been many hands on. Much of the plexiglass surrounding machines is scratched. None of this detracts from children's attainment of science concepts. Many children's museums go a mile wide and an inch deep--not this one. SciTech goes a mile deep when it comes to scientific demonstrations. Many of the exhibits have the feel of prize-winning science fair projects. I'm certain some were designed by students. That may very well be why this place seems so accessible to young minds. It is worthwhile for elementary and even middle school students. There's a preschool area too but this is not the main focus (a refreshing change, actually). Just beware of the hours. It closes EARLY (3 pm).

4  Thank Lara F
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We recently attended SciTech as part of a walking fieldtrip. Our school is close enough that we can walk downtown. We took 220 seventh graders to SciTech for 2 hours. The staff was amazing-they set up groups for us so each group rotated to different places within the museum. Each group had a guide and the kids enjoyed every minute of it! I was worried that they would get bored but there are so many activities, they all had something to do. One of our stations was a science demo and the staff mixes in science with some magic and lots of humor! I'm very excited to see all the great things going on at SciTech! We even used the cafeteria so the kids could take a short break and have a snack-teenagers are always hungry! We will visit again!

2  Thank Brenda D
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had our son's birthday there. The party was fine but the staff of the museum did not seem to understand kids do not drive themselves to birthday parties especially when they are 8. They wanted to charge us for any parent who came to pick up their kid. There were fathers who were texting in the lobby bored to death watiing for the the party to end so they could go home and the museum lady wanted me to pay for their entry ticket because - gosh -one touched an exhibit on the way in while waiting for his kid to get in because they were late and they were not allowed to join the presentation downstairs.

Very unpleasant to negotiate with the museum lady at the party trying to make her understand parents could care less about their exhibits and were there to pick up their kid. The museum is in the middle of nowhere in Aurora and it is hard for parents to find errands to run there so they might stick around and double your party cost - beware. We ended up paying for 6 more people we had not planned to pay for.

3  Thank ll p
SciTech2013, Director of Sales at SciTech Hands On Museum, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during the Birthday Party you booked here in August 2013. I am the new Director of Operations and while I was not on staff at the time this happened, I would love to try and resolve this in anyway that I can. Since I began working here my focus has been guest satisfaction and while occasionally there may be misunderstandings, my goal is for every visitor to leave happy. Please feel free to contact me at (630) 859-3434 ext 214 so that I can improve any future experience you may wish to have at SciTech Hands on Museum.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

There is always so much to do at the Scitech hands on museum. One will never be bored and it is a great place to bring your family for family fun!

1  Thank Pam P