“Prices high, service so-so, atmosphere dank and depressing.”
Review of Luigi's House - CLOSED

Luigi's House
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Algonquin Provincial Park, Canada
“Prices high, service so-so, atmosphere dank and depressing.”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Little light shines in Luigi's House, complete with thick drapery, few windows (many rooms with none) and dusty old wine bottles hanging from the ceiling. I've eaten at this Portillo's chain restaurant 3 times, and each time felt the food was mediocre. The waitstaff was helpful, but overworked, and other than the neat looking "house" of Luigi's, right on Route 59 in what feels like Naperville (which is across the street), this restaurant is more expensive than Olive Garden, with food that is only marginally better. I'd give the nod to Olive Garden atmosphere (I know, I can't believe I wrote that either), and certainly to prices, and to salad and breadsticks. The actual pasta meal--some with fresh fish--are slightly better at Luigi's House.

Chianti's on Third Street in Geneva, Za Za's Trattoria in St. Charles are much better than Luigi's--so for those looking to compare to those restaurants, you will be disappointed in Luigi's.

Frankly, Luigi's feels like you're dining at Epcot Center in Disneyland, where it's a "made up" feeling, like a stucco and Animatronics new, made to look old, place, filled with Aramark dining service food at high end prices. Seriously, you will feel like you're in the land of make believe, and the food will be unmemorable, and when you were done, you will realize that--like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy--that there is no Luigi, and you just paid to eat uninspired food in a fake atmosphere and you will long for a "real" restaurant, manned by real people and a real owner and a sense of uniqueness that, despite its efforts, is completely sanitized out of Luigi's House in Aurora/Naperville.

1 Thank Smythe77654

Aurora, Illinois
“Average food but overpriced”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I went here for the first time with my family yesterday. It was early in the evening and not busy, 4:30 or so. Very nice ambiance. We were greeted and sat quickly. Waitress was courteous and efficient. On to the food. I grew up in Northern NJ with many, many Italian friends. My wife grew up in Chicago and is Italian. We felt the food was good but not great for the premium price we paid. This is not a cheap restaurant. Entrees average about 15+ in comparison to other Italian restaurants that would charge 10. You would spend less at Olive Garden for similar food. Overall I would say the food here is average.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank wscovill
Naperville
“Best Portillo's group restaurant I've been to”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Want a place with a real piano bar or a very well decorated, fun Italian restaurant. Luigi's is hard to beat. The food and service are generally very good. We've been here many times and we've always come away happy. It's a little loud during Friday and Saturday evenings but that's typical of any other places. Luigi's to people around here seems to be a notch below Maggiano's but we always have to wait at Maggiano's but usually not at Luigi's and the food is just as good too. With kids, we can't wait 2 hours which was what we were told on Dec 27th!!! I had the day's special which was a twist on their seafood linguini, wife at the halibut. Calamari appetizer fell short of expectations (Rosebud in Naper still is #1) but our main courses were great. Service is alright, not the best. Drinks were good, food was very good and atmosphere is great. Try it, you may like it.

Minnesota
“Delicious food. Average service.”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Went here over the holidays with my extended family. Seating was quick and easy. The hostess was very pleasant. The atmosphere of the restaurant is interesting and a bit different. But not over the top.

The menu choices were varied. Most of the common Italian dishes are there. They have a few interesting additions though like Macadamia encrusted chicken. Prices are reasonable for the portion size and the food was totally delicious. My kids can be picky eaters but they ate until they were stuffed.

My one complaint would be that the server wasn't exactly on the ball. Items were forgotten. He didn't come back to check on us for awhile. And he mixed up some of the orders. However he was courteous and friendly.

All in all it was a very nice experience.

Aurora, Illinois
“ten times better than Olive rest.”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Nice place to dine once in a while. The menu is limited but there are some good selections. Quality is above average.

Dine in and the servings are huge but the carry out servings are smaller.

We have always had good service. No cheap gimmicks. House wine is fine but there are more selections. Desert menu is lacking.

3 Thank Joe R