“Average, could be better”

Courtyard Chicago Arlington Heights/South
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Arlington Heights
Minneapolis, MN
“Average, could be better”
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Appears to be one of the original courtyard designs. I like the concept but it has been years since I stayed at one. Got it on priceline only a day before for a quick trip.
Nice enough property. All non smoking rooms but mine was obviously a "cleaned" smoking room. Nice pool area with very hot hottub, thanks. Lots of nice sitting areas in courtyard and lawn chairs on the patios/balconies. My "priceline" room was overlooking the parking lot and had no lawnchair. Breakfast is included in most of the rate plans, but not on priceline & hotwire rates. A rip off at $10.95 plus tax. At 2.5 stars, a good value on priceline for about $50 including tax & fees.
Ted

• Liked — good rate, location
  • Disliked — overpriced breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Ready.Teddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2007

We chose this hotel as an overnight stay between visiting friends near Milwaukee and a flight from Chicago O'Hare the next morning. The good points were that it was clean, comfortable and within easy reach of Chicago O'Hare.
But.....at the last minute decided to stay for the baseball in Milwaukee, which meant that we arrived at the hotel very late. I am a Marriott Rewards member, and as such my details should have been recorded in my records. However, on arrival, and both with our hands full of luggage, the receptionist insisted that we could go no further without producing a credit card. We asked...could we check in first and bring it to the desk in a couple of minutes, when we have emptied our hands and found it? No, we couldn't, company policy!! (it wasn't company policy at other Marriotts we had used during our 3 week stay in the USA.) We had to put down our luggage and search our bags for the card before we took a step further. Our room, not by request, was a disabled room. Why then, would they place a disabled room right at the back of the hotel, up the stairs, as far away from reception as you could get? Our rate was classed as a Romantic Getaway which included a bottle of champagne on arrival. Was there champagne in our room on arrival? Of course not, we had to go and ask for the "champagne" (well it did have bubbles) and wait for them to find clean glasses. We missed out on the inclusive breakfast because we hadn't been told that this was part of our package.
Would we stay here again? Well in different circumstances I'm sure the hotel would have been excellent, but you always judge something by your own experience, and in hindsight we wished we had gone back to the Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites, where we had stayed at the start of our holiday.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanH775
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary, and we were very pleased. The room was lovely, the courtyard setting was gorgeous and there's a very nice indoor pool area. The best part though was the fantastic breakfast buffet that we enjoyed as part of our room rate (only certain packages include the cost of the buffet though, so make sure you check this when booking). It was the best hotel breakfast buffet that we've ever had (eggs, sausages, bacon, waffles with fruit and whipped cream, pastries, french toast) and the staff was so friendly and helpful.

The only negative thing that I can think of is that my husband had brought our portable DVD player to watch movies in the evening and although the televisions have plugs for this, the televisions are not programmed to accept this, per the evening desk clerk who was less than helpful in their response.

Still, all things considered, we had a lovely stay here and we would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The delicious full breakfast buffet and the lovely courtyard setting.
  • Disliked — The fact that you can't use a portable DVD player on the television set.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Luckyone2002
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 10, 2007

I stayed at this property very recently, May 6 - 10, 2007. The check in process was very efficient, I dint get my choice of bed (KING), as I arrived well after midnight. I did get the 2nd floor as requested and faced the very well manicured courtyard area. If you stay on the west side of the property there is a huge construction project on town homes going on right outside the rooms adjacent to the parking lot, so be aware of this when checking in.

I had several problems with my room and after reporting, I had to follow up myself with the management and front desk staff.
The first problem was 2 out of the 4 mornings at approx 720a there was very little water pressure in the shower and only luke warm water. I was compensated $50.00 for this inconvenience after walking down and doing follow up myself after not receiving a message or note stating that it was even looked at.

Although the Courtyard claims in its add campaign that its designed for Business Traveler, this one has not gone through the transformation in a few areas. First, there were no speaker phones in the rooms, making taking conference calls very difficult on the arms and shoulders, hold the receiver up to my ear. Next was the desk and chair were not configured for comfort, the desk chair did not raise up very high to accommodate any typing. The business area in the lobby worked fine for printing, etc….

I did not eat at the hotel any of the nights or for breakfast, as there are other places within driving distance. The pool area looked very nice and the housekeeping was top notch.

Photos coming soon

• Liked — The beds and pillows were very comfortable...good security
  • Disliked — Reaction from management and handling of problems reported
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business