“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Arcola
Chicago Suburbs
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

We have stayed at this comfort inn before. Actually 4 times. And each year it goes down and down. This year--mix up with rooms--we get a smoking room. YUCK. Who has smoking rooms anymore?? Only three tables in the breakfast room. We stayed two nights--and no hot water at 6am either morning. Stone cold. It is the only hotel chain in town--so when there is a festival or antique show--they have you over a barrel. Next year--we stay in Tuscola a few miles away.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank sellinglikecrazy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

We stayed there for one night about one week ago as we were chasing thunderstorms. The hotel costed 70 dollars plus tax which is rather cheap for a Comfort Inn as far as I know. The room was large, almost perfectly clean (I'm very particular about this) and our non-smoking room was really non-smoking. The window curtain was really dirty but we pointed this out to the receptionist who apologized and 15 minutes later, we had a new curtain. Some people in the other reviews say that the staff were not American and did'nt know anything about the area and I really don't agree with that. We asked directions to the Amish interpretive center and Amish-type restaurants as well as downtown businesses and we had no problems. I think the receptionists were indeed of Indian origin but it doesn't affect their competence. Those people have probably been living in Arcola a long time because they really know the area and can answer your questions. We had plenty of place for breakfast. That's true there are only three tables but it is the same thing at many hotels and motels.
However, I was not impressed by the business center which only consisted of a computer. No printer. We can find better in certain Days Inn. And the swimming pool is very small.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Sarah L
Tokyo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

I booked this hotel a couple of months ago and the day before we arrived I noticed some new reviews and almost cancelled. But it would have required a lot of work to re-route our trip. And since this was towards the end of our 2 month road trip I figured it couldn't be worse than some of the other places we had stayed.

I was surprised when we pulled up because it looks newer than I expected. It certainly didn't look run down or shabby. The lobby looks like it has been recently redecorated. I noticed that there were three tables in the breakfast area, confirming what the other reviewers said. We don't usually eat the free breakfast in motels but if we did we would have to take it back to our room. They had the usual selection. The pool out front was also super small but we did see a family playing in it. The internet worked well.

Our room was actually quite nice. It was average size but nicely decorated for a Comfort Inn, and at $59.00 plus $7.00 for our dog it was the cheapest motel we have stayed in in the last 2 months. The room was clean, the linens weren't torn or the wrong size. Maybe they have recently upgraded the rooms but we had no issues. My husband wanted to eat at an Amish restaurant which is why we made a stop here. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if we found ourselves in the area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Dragonmom I
Lakeland, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

We made reservations in February for a June stay in a non-smoking room. When I arrived, I was told there were no non-smoking rooms available. I was given a smoking room. When I went up to the room, there was a group of guys on the balcony (2 doors down), all with bottles and with a very large boom box and some guitars. "It's going to be a real long night," I thought. Then I went into the room, which reeked of smoke, of course, and had plenty of cigarette burns on the upholstery-- only to find out that every time I flushed the toilet, it threatened to overflow. (I was given $10 off the rate as "compensation" for the smoking room)

The next morning, we were allowed to move to a non-smoking room for the duration of our stay. That room was much nicer-- no problems. The wireless worked well. The breakfast area is way too small for this crowded hotel (we've stayed twice and both times it has been filled to capacity). The swimming pool is the size of a postage stamp.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank floridalibn
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

Recently stayed at this hotel while visiting the area on business. The hotel is an older and smaller Comfort Inn and obviously is "off the radar screen" of Choice Hotels. I wrote a note of these issues and handed to young man working desk at check out. He looked at it, and just said "huh?". This "uncaring" attitude must reflect the management's attitude towards guests. If you must stay in this area, I would recommend the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express about 13 miles South on I-57 at Mattoon exit.

I should have realized the stay I was about to have as I entered the lobby. The "business center' is a small cart with a P.C. on it. My room had a broken security latch which I did not notice until I was preparing to go to sleep. The towels were thread bare and were long beyond their usable life. The acrylic knob in tub had obvious mold inside the knob. The tub bottom was stained. While I'm sitting on the toilet a rather large spider comes towards me across the floor. And the sheets on the bed must be the wrong size as the top sheet was 2 feet from head of bed.

All in all, a most disappointing stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank gypsyboy1951
washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

I really like the location of this Comfort Inn. Just down the road from Charleston/Mattoon and aways south of Tuscola and urban Champaign, this hotel offers you a chance to locate out in the country some, right I-57 and near the usual Amish attractions.

The hotel itself is also near a few restaurants, and a manual car wash is near by. If you like them, a Dollar Store and Amish furniture outlet are within walking distance.

Inside, the hotel is clean, the rooms your basic Comfort Inn fare. One unique feature that I enjoyed were the recliners in most rooms. Real ones. The beds were also very comfortable.

However, I was also a bit put off by the staff/owners. Many hotels in this rural central area are owner by foreign interests. In an area well known for its open, kind and outgoing natives, the owners of the Comfort Inn here are certainly a throw back. Especially if your staying over a few days and could use some local info. Your better off asking folks on the street. BUt, if you just need a room for the night, and don't need to talk to the mgt much, it's a fine place to stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank sardu
Midwesterner
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2007

We stayed at the Comfort Inn because it had gotten good writeups in a travel guide. Those positive reviews must be pretty dated, or the place has slipped downhill fast.

First off, we got a non-smoking room sandwiched between two smoking rooms, all of which obviously shared the same vents, because it stunk of smoke. We might have overlooked that, but the staff was barely civil (no "welcome," "thank you," or any attempt at friendliness), and the free continental breakfast was sad (not enough coffee for the crowd, very limited selection, not enough seating).

If I'm back in the area, I would try some place else. Staying at a hotel shouldn't make the paying guest like an unwanted intruder!

• Stayed October 2007
      Check in / front desk
3 Thank Liberty123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcola
BEST WESTERN PLUS Green Mill Village Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Tuscola
Baymont Inn & Suites Mattoon
Baymont Inn & Suites Tuscola
Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
Comfort Suites Mattoon
Comfort Suites Mattoon
#6 of 9 in Mattoon

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!