Davie School Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Anna
See available hotels
Econo Lodge(Carbondale)
Quality Inn(Carbondale)
View Hotel
Super 8 Cape Girardeau(Cape Girardeau)
View Hotel
All reviewssouthern illinoisb bthe blue roombed and breakfastshawnee wine trailschool roomjet tubdavie schoolsoft sheetsgirls weekendwonderful accommodationsbreakfast was amazingplace to staynext morningthought of everythingperfect weekendrooms are large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 21, 2009

It is not often that you can spend the night in a converted school, and even less likely that you would be sleeping in the same room that you attended 5th grade, some 53 years earlier.

Anna, is where both my wife and I grew up, she was born there and I moved there when I was 14. We were back home to conduct an auction, I have been in the Auction business for 39 years, of the farm that my wife's family owned. In total we had 3 rooms, each named a different color and each with its own unique flavor and charm.

As pleasant as the rooms were, the real treat comes from interacting with the inn keepers, who worked very hard to see that all of our wants and needs were met. We were served a wonderful hot breakfast, for a small additional charge, of fresh local peaches atop cinammon rasian french toast, an egg and sausage casserole, home style potatoes and juice, milk, coffee and hot tea. What a great beginning to what turned out to be an outstanding and memorable auction that the inn keeper participated in and became the runner-up on one of the six tracts sold.

We look forward to another opportunity to stay at this wonderful inn.

Bob and Kay Haley

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Stayed here for my 50th birthday and had a nice time. Rooms are huge. The venue is unique. We have stayed at many B&B's and enjoyed the uniqueness of this one. Owners are great and very helpful. Breakfast is better than many I have had at other B&B's. Lots of food and nice that they serve it when you want in your room.

Only downsides:
1) It's in Southern Illinois. The carpets roll up at 5 pm. Not a lot to do around the area.
2) Missing a few nice touches. The rooms seemed sparsely decorated.
3) Beds and pillow seemed hard for my tastes.

Still, that is nitpicking on what is a great B&B.

Dinner suggestions:
1) Brickhouse Grill -- Very nice. Reasonably priced. Great service.
2) The Depot -- Avoid it. I had ribs which were the most gristle and fat that I've ever seen. My wife had tortellini and complained about the after taste for hours.

Attractions:
1) Skip the Rootbeer Saloon in nearby Alto Pass. The atmosphere is creepy. It is 'decorated' with numerous stuffed animals. This could be unique, but comes off creepy because the owners are the most unfriendly people you'll meet on your trip. We left without buying anything. My wife remarked that she felt we were being scoped out as to how our hides might fit into the decor. We were the only people in the shop and were never greeted. As for claims of 'over 100 types of bulk coffee'. We saw only pre-packaged and find a better selection at our Kroger.
2) The wineries in the area are nice. Pamona winery our favorite. Unique non-grape wines. A must stop.
3) Shawnee forest, Giant City Park. Nice if you enjoy hiking. Scenery is definitely not Illinois.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winpop
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Davie School Inn was the perfect spot for us and we knew it the first time we went for a visit. The rooms are HUGE and each decorated in its own unique way. There are some really neat pieces of furniture in each room...great for photos! We were lucky enough to experience the Gold Suite on our honeymoon night -- what a treat! The jacuzzi is basically a mini-swimming pool, and provides a full body massage!
The Red Suite is where the ladies got ready the day of the wedding. I was able to stay calm and relaxed and loved how the sun came through the red curtains all morning. It was the PERFECT room for a bride to get ready.
The guys got ready in the Brown Suite -- my husband loves National Geographic and there happened to be a stack of some old issues in one of the cabinets in the suite. It's all so unique!
All of our friends & bridal party were able to stay in the B&B Friday and Saturday. I'm still hearing comments from all of them about how awesome the place is! I think pretty much everyone will be going back at some point!
The Innkeepers, Gary & Andrea did an AMAZING job restoring this school into a B&B. It is definitely worth taking a trip to Southern Illinois to visit the B&B as well as the local vineyards..it is truly a magical place!!!

(I will add photos soon!)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Need a place for a girl's getaway, family get together, couples weekend-Check this place out. The rooms are huge and very comfortable. Some rooms sleep up to 5 people. Breakfasts are fantastic, and every request we made was fulfilled. You can tour the Shawnee Hills wineries, do some antique shopping, walk the track in the park behind the B an B, or just enjoy a drive through the beautiful local countryside. BTW, our group of women has stayed here for 4 years in a row-soon to be 5. I guess that's the best recommendation of all.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank RovingRobin54
Reviewed August 14, 2009

My husband and I have stayed at the Davie School Inn 3 times within the past year. We absolutely LOVE this B&B! We have 3 kids under the age of 9 so being near home in case an emergency should arise is very important (it is 1 hour away from our home). However, we need to get out away from the kids occasionally! Davie School Inn is the perfect place and we can't get enough of it!

We have stayed in the purple suite twice and the pink suite once. The decor of the inn is very charming and the rooms are exceptionally clean. The tempurpedic beds are so comfortable to sleep in and the beds are made with top of the line sheets and cozy comforters. Gary, the innkeeper, has gone out of his way each time we have stayed to make sure things were just perfect for us.

The breakfast Gary cooks and serves in the suite is phenomenal! We have had his scrambled eggs with fried potatoes, fruit and bacon on 2 occasions. Most recently we had his Freedom (french) toast with a fresh peach glaze made from locally grown peaches, scrambled eggs, sausage and fresh fruit. It was amazing!

I HIGHLY recommend Davie School Inn to anyone looking for a relaxing, comfortable getaway!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple