“Very nice surprise”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were visiting the Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower in Hartford, IL, and two of the employees recommended that we try Castelli's Restaurant in Alton, IL (they called it the Moonlight). We had mentioned that we were thinking of driving up to Pere Marquette State Park to get their fried chicken and we were told that the Moonlight had better fried chicken at a better price. So we tried it! It was very nice! My husband and two of the kids had the fried chicken and they raved about it! "This is the best fried chicken I've ever had!" I had the spaghetti and it was also delightful. The salad was delicious, too. Our waiter, Steve, was very professional and personable. The atmosphere was slightly upscale. Most everyone was dressed casually (as we were) but I think we should have all been dressed up a bit. I am thinking of asking my husband to bring us back for a special occasion (anniversary or birthday).

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were in Alton (our hometown) over the weekend and went to Moonlight twice. We enjoy the food and the atmosphere there. We've been going there for over 40 years. The salad is great. They have a secret salad dressing (Creamy Roman)...which is why we went there twice. Broasted chicken is good. The 1/2 chicken has 6 good sized pieces. There aren't a bunch of great restaurants in Alton, so Moonlight doesn't have a lot of competition and it stands alone up next to all of the chains. I've also been there for banquets and they did a nice job and accomodated the requests of the hosts. All in all, I'd recommend that you give it a try.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have been dining here for over 25 years and am rarely disappointed. The chicken is their best dinner option. It isn't fried but has a crust that makes it memorable. The house salad dressing is my wife's favorite. They make their bread, though not always fresh. If you want something else, the Prime Rib is tasty, as is other steaks, the Italian food and my fav, Fried Chicken Livers.

The serving sizes are plentiful and you won't normally be disappointed. However if you wait till dinner time expect a wait. Even with expansions over the last 10 years you can have a 30 minute delay in getting seated.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Known for their fried chicken and signature salad. Food freshly cooked, always good. They also have family meals carryout, call-in orders to go. They cater as well. I have eaten there many times, privately, business luncheons, evening presentations. I use their service for my Haunted Dinner Tours at Mineral Springs.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

I ordered the catelloni and it was burnt on top and the meat in it was very soupy. Also the salad wasn't very good either. The calamari is good and the chicken is good. Other than that its very overpriced

Been to Castelli'sRestaurant at 255? Share your experiences!