“I wish there was more...”

Historic Museum of Torture Devices
Ranked #7 of 27 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Exhibits and information have been researched and are historically accurate. The curator of our museum has visited Torture Museums in Europe where most of these devices originated. A collection of books on the sublect is available to browse while at the Museum. We are always on alert for information and adding new exhibits to our collection. Over 50 exhibits of torture devices from all over the world, some very simple, some diabolically clever, some still in use today. We have new Torture exhibits, and are expanding the museum to include the "Odditorium" which includes exhibits of Medical Quackery, Civil War Medicine and artifacts, human anomalies,VooDoo, and other curiosities. We plan to open these exhibits by the end of July, 2014.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I wish there was more...”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My sister and I stopped by on a trip to St. Louis. The curator/owner of the museum was fabulous. You can tell she has a passion and knowledge for her work. She shared some experiences f travel with us. She drives a white hearse parked out front that has the tag, "Haun Tur." There are some great pieces in the museum. I wish there was more back story on if the pieces were real or props. There is a lot of history written on each device - so regardless of presentation it is very educational. It would be neat if there was a place to pose for pictures with a device of some sort. It was a little cluttered, but of course this will happen without being heavily staffed. I think it was very reasonably priced at $5.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Shelley F
Vlad97, Owner at Historic Museum of Torture Devices, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Every review is important to us. My collection is all replicas, historically accurate. The history has been carefully researched. Actually, one device, the pillory, has working parts and is safe enough to be used for photographs. I would have happily put you in it had I known. If you are in Alton again, stop in and we'll get your photos. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archbold, Ohio, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Quite a letdown”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was expecting actual artifacts, and it turned out to be just a small collection of cheap-looking props. Some of the history was interesting (in a very morbid way) but the whole place felt like a gimmick and left me feeling disappointed.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Simon T
Vlad97, Owner at Historic Museum of Torture Devices, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to the Museum. To see actual artifacts you would have to travel to the Torture Museums in Europe and the Tower of London. A private collection of original torture devices of a man in New York State sold at auction 2 years ago for 1.2 million dollars. My collection is replicas, hand crafted by European craftsmen, and Historically accurate. I do not claim that they are originals, and there is no gimmick. The history has been carefully researched. Morbid curiosity brings people to my Museum.
Round Lake Beach, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

what a cool place to walk around and learn about all kinds of ways people were punished long ago!! So glad some of them are not used today!!!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank karen a
Vlad97, Owner at Historic Museum of Torture Devices, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thanks for your positive review. We appreciate your having taken the time to write and recommend us. All reviews are valuable to us and fellow travelers.
Alton, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Strange and Unusual”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Not family friendly- but extremely fascinating.

The admission is extremely reasonable and the museum is usually attended to by Janet, the owner of this private collection of torture devices. Leave enough time to read the descriptions she has carefully researched- and to ask her questions as well. She's a wealth of information.

This is definitely one of the quirkiest things to do in Alton. Worth the stop, if that's what you're in to. ;-)

Visited November 2012
3 Thank VivantVivant
Vlad97, Owner at Historic Museum of Torture Devices, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. We take all reviews seriously and are always strive to please. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review.
STL
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Small and interesting.”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a cool little museum with all kinds of weird torture devices Nothing too crazy, but educational. Not very big, its basically inside a small room. If you're bored and have about $10 on you, then stop in and check this place out.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank KobraKai1216
Vlad97, Owner at Historic Museum of Torture Devices, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for your positive review of the Museum. Your time in writing the review is greatly appreciated. All feedback is helpful. We strive to make the visit an interesting one.