“it was good because i was tired. otherwise keep driving to...”
Review of Relax Inn

Relax Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Altamont

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
SEWICKLEY
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Everything was fine. Although the location was not as good as I would have liked, the whole experience was everything I expected.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Ash Fork, Arizona
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Had to argue with them about my service dog - they wanted to charge us a fee for him - which is against the law. The room was so dirty and stained that we kept the dog up on the bed and treated him for fleas just before we left. No bedbugs and decent internet, but this place was nasty and poorly maintained with obnoxious owners. The only reason that we stopped was that ALL of the hotels in Eff8ngham were full. Nasty!

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Altamont hotels

Springfield
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We started our vacation driving east and decided to stop here on our first night. Rooms were a bit run down but the staff more than made up for that! They were very nice to us and did everything they could to make us feel welcome. We discovered the next day after we had left and were in New York that we had left our new gel pillows there. I called the property and the gentleman assured us he had them and would keep them for us. On our way back, we stopped and he had them for us in a bag. He even made us some coffee for the rest of our trip. Anytime we are travelling this way again, and need to stop, this is going to be our first pick of a hotel to stay!!!! The room was cleaner than most Super 8's and a very good value for the money.

Room Tip: They have a nice playground for children but no pool.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sugarcookie429
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed June 13, 2011

There was this group of loud,drunk,males staying in bunches in several rooms. Management would do nothing to control the yelling, hollering, swearing, etc. I understand that these were locals, and this is a regular occurrence. It was just a terrible experience. The rooms are old and smell terrible. They need a complete update, I mean stripped to the walls. As for the super start breakfast, what a joke. Two types of stale cereal and nearly spoiled milk. This was a disappointing stay and I would advise everyone against staying here. You will not feel comfortable, or even safe, with all the drunks around and no management involvement to help out. Heed my warning and don't stay at this rat hole.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HappyTravelor18
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 23, 2009

We checked into the Super 8 Motel at 7:10. It was $65 for the room plus a $10 pet deposit. This was pretty high for a Super 8 out in the middle of nowhere, but I put it on my credit card. At 7:15, we got a call from home, and we decided not to stay at this hotel and push on to get home more quickly. I asked the woman the front desk for my money back and we were not going to stay after all. She said that her manager had to look over the room first to make sure there's nothing wrong. It was reasonable, so I waited about 15 minutes for Mr. Patel to show up. He took a cursory glance around the room, then he glanced into the bathroom. He told me there would be no refund. I told him that we only had the room for 5 minutes, and we never brought our luggage in from the car. He looked mean and said that there was no way he was going to refund the money. I was mad! Mr. Patel asked if I wanted to call the police, and I said yes! we went to the front desk, and I asked the woman to call the police. Mr. Patel spoke to her like a dog and told her to get in the other room. He told me that I am not to talk to her, and he will call the police himself. Officer Aaron from the Altamont police Dept. arrived in short order. First he spoke with Mr. Patel who said that we used a toilet in his room so there would be no refund. Office Aaron took my ID and information. He was fair, tough and asked really good questions. I showed him my time-stamped receipt from the credit card machine. He looked at his cell phone to see it was only minutes ago. Officer Aaron explained that this is a civil situation, and he cannot order Mr. Patel to refund my money. However, he did a great job trying to get us to come to an agreement. Mr. Patel offered to refund $35, but I said that's unacceptable. Mr. Patel went on about the fact that I had a dog. I offered to let him keep the pet deposit, and I'll take the $65 refund. Mr. Patel refused. He said that I rented the room just to use the bathroom. I pointed to a McDonald's sign across the street, and I explained that we have been using McDonald's restrooms for 6,000 miles; I had no reason to rent a room to go to the bathroom. I pointed out that I had declared the dog and paid the pet deposit rather than trying to sneak her into the room. Why would he think that I'm trying to rent the room to use the bathroom? Mr. Patel refused to refund the money. Officer Aaron dismissed me, and he set to questioning Mr. Patel as I left the office. Mr. Patel still has my $74, and I never spent more than 5 minutes in the room. I contacted Super 8, and they are standing behind Mr. Patel. They said it's his word against mine; therefore they will do nothing.

• Liked — near I-70
  • Disliked — Mr. Patel kept $74, even though we only spent 5 minutes in the room - no refunds
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank matthewbcook
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altamont
Cobblestone Inn & Suites Altamont, IL
Ramada Vandalia
Ramada Vandalia
#3 of 5 in Vandalia
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vandalia
La Quinta Inn & Suites Effingham
Lexington Inn & Suites Effingham
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Effingham

Been to Relax Inn? Share your experiences!